Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:59:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mind 0 is not Persona...er...well...maybe not...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Mind 0 is not Persona...er...well...maybe not...  (Read 7101 times)
Tintaglia

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »

Now that I think about it, the main reason why I loved Persona in the first place was because it was so different from anything else. So, a clone of that... Kinda misses the point.

I'll probably buy it anyways. :-P

I'm also stoked for Demon Gaze. And I don't even own a Vita yet! =:(
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »

So, I got a surprise graduation present of a VITA, Mind Zero, Persona 4 Golden and Demon Gaze.

Here is my impression of Mind Zero. It clearly has inspiration from Persona, but it isn't a clone. It might not exist without Persona, in the same way RahXephon wouldn't exist without Evangelion, but it does have enough distinct elements that it can't just be classified as a clone. Mind you, it isn't as good as RahXehon is compared to Evangelion, but whatever.

Okay, so the premise is that there are two different worlds, the Inner World and the Outer World (our world). It's unclear why they're called that. The Inner World is full of MINDs, and there is a counterpart MIND for every human. But most of the time, there's no connection other than that. A MIND or a human can die just fine without affecting their counterpart. The worlds are misaligned but since the boundary is fluid, doors open occasionally and MINDs either come through and posses people, or they take people back to the Inner World to eat them, or worse. A contract with a MIND can only be made with the help of the Undertaker, who proceeds to give a vague set of instructions (pick a weapon or die, or pick a weapon and die) and who fails to explain anything in a useful manner. They actually get a lot of mileage out of that, with a big part of the game being to find out what the situation actually is and why it works that way.

Overall, I would say that Mind Zero is perfectly fine, and it stands apart enough that it's not a Persona clone. Inspired, yes, a copy, no. It's not perfect, and the battle system is a little boring, even with the double layer it has (with summoning the MINDs), but the art direction is pretty good and the music is pretty good too. (Admittedly, one of the town themes sounds a lot like some of the music from Persona 3, just without any discernible lyrics.) If it goes down in price at some point, it might be worth getting for others.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »

Yeah, I agree with you about the persona thing. The main character doesn't even really look like the P3 MC outside of that one pic that was going around. I was actually expecting the games to be a lot more similar.

The game is fun enough with my only complaint being there is quite a bit of backtracking for some of the sidequests. A lot of sidequests have you going deeper into previous dungeons than the story brings you. I don't mind that and you normally complete them as you try to fully explore the dungeon. There is a certain NPC however that gives you a quest to find certain items in the dungeon. They are usually in floors you have already completed and are not visible on the map. I ended up just going to gamefaqs for the co-ordinates every time she had a quest.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 12:42:24 PM by Darilon » Logged

Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2014, 09:15:30 PM »

Question, is there any form of character relationships (or any form of consistent character development), like on Persona 3/4 or Devil Survivor 2, or is it just pure story and battle? I'm contemplating getting this or Xblaze Code Embryo (or Dark Souls 2 on steam summer sale, but since i already finished it on the PS3...)
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »

There are side events that can lead into sidequests where you can learn about the characters. Nothing like Persona really.

Xblaze is actually really good. The advertising overstates the investigative stuff, but the writing's good and the "dynamic camera angles" (which basically just means really frequent shot changes) help the immersion a lot actually. Mind Zero is a perfectly adequate first person dungeon crawler without the awkward fanservice of Demon Gaze, and Xblaze is an excellent visual novel. I guess it boils down to whether you want a pure story game or a dungeon crawler with a couple twists.
Deufo
The Duke

Three times faster

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »

That answered a lot, thank you very much! I think that for now i'll get Xblaze because it's cheaper, and wait for Mind;Zero to go on a sale.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 10:19:10 AM »

The game may have something Persona doesn't.
Availability on PC.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=309930148
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: