Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:10:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338107 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mind 0 is not Persona...er...well...maybe not...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Mind 0 is not Persona...er...well...maybe not...  (Read 7356 times)
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 01:21:53 AM »

Looks pretty cool for a derivative. Does anyone know anything about the script writer? Previous works?

Also, I feel like only Japanese can come up with these all over the place yet somehow fitting English phrases.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 01:58:16 AM »

Does anyone know anything about the script writer? Previous works?

This is the first time I've read the name of Minato Kushimachi and I can't seem to find any info about him.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »

http://gematsu.com/2013/04/mind-0-introduces-kanade-and-kotone

More characters for the not-Persona.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »

I know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but this is a little too close for comfort. 

Sure, Piece of Wonder reminded me of Sakura Taisen in that it melded SRPG elements with love-adventure elements, but it was still its own entity with its own personality. 

I hope I'm proven wrong and that Mind 0 is not a complete rip, but first impressions aren't impressing me.  I know it's good to take inspiration from your influences, but put your own spin on it, and I'm not seeing enough of that "own spin."

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »

Well, it sounds like the MIND thingies can be summoned/unsummoned to change your status rather than just being something that appears whenever you use special abilities, so that's something different...

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:11 PM »

And if we want to deepen this discussion, the Personas in Revelations: Persona could be compared to the Espers in FF6, the big difference being that you need to make Personas.  Personas could also be compared to the stands in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure what with the tarot card references.  But, again, it's a case of taking inspiration from the influences and doing your own spin on it rather than outright copying it. 

For some of the covers my band does, we're not above listening to other bands' versions of those covers, taking bits and pieces we like, then re-puzzling them to our liking.  Like one band may do a really good riff on the verses but another band does a really good riff on the choruses, so we take the parts we like and make them our own. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 11:50:54 PM »

Yeaaah b-b-b-but now we got INTERCHANGING GENDERS.  A GUY WITH A FEM-PERSO.... MENTAL INSIDE NOBODY DOLL (still the funniest abbreviation, maybe even better than Breath of Fire V's "SOL" system).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »

I'm waiting to see what they do with the story.

You know, there's actually a lot less direct rip-offs in jRPGs than you'd think. There are some, but almost all the different franchises tend to have at least small quirks to the basic formula.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »

Yeaaah b-b-b-but now we got INTERCHANGING GENDERS.  A GUY WITH A FEM-PERSO.... MENTAL INSIDE NOBODY DOLL (still the funniest abbreviation, maybe even better than Breath of Fire V's "SOL" system).

Still not as ridiculous as My-HiME was. They practically cheated with that one.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »

Pardon the double post but...http://gematsu.com/2013/04/mind-0s-stylish-mind-battles-detailed

...I come bearing screenshots and gameplay details.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 10:58:55 AM »

Ok, that is a bit of a twist to the formula. You have the really powerful attacks, but you need to ration them out in long battles or you become much more vulnerable.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/19/heres-a-glimpse-of-mind%E2%89%920s-story-prologue-and-mind-battle-system/

An update on the not-Persona game Mind<=>0.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 07:06:27 PM »

Ah, that just made me less interested in the game.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 12:01:45 AM »

Me too.
A lot of the comments on the link talk about how bad the character models are on battle. While it does look like 2nd tier PSP game what got me was the stiff animation and the uninspired sound.
I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up, even if it does turn out good it will probably have its rough edges.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2013, 12:17:25 AM »

First off, I'm still gonna have to giggle at "Mental Inside Nobody Doll" .... .... .... .... hee hee!

Second, yeah, the SFX were terribly muted and muffled.
The animations I could deal with because the gameplay looked fast, but then the winning animation looked horrid as well.

Also, I don't dig the inconsistency between some sort of anime-cel shading art then having battles use an artist's drawing as a cut in.  It's inconsistent looked (also, wtf was with that face was that main dude pulling the whole time? and why?)

While this could still maybe win people over, I dunno-- with a good story or fun battle system maybe, this keeps coming off as a poor man's Persona clone.

...what's the point?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: