Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 09:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331425 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Looking for some good western style RPG's (No elder scrolls games or PC games)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Looking for some good western style RPG's (No elder scrolls games or PC games)  (Read 4683 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2013, 11:14:12 PM »

I say western styled games because I'm pretty sure most users know that a Japanese company can make a western RPG and a North American company can make a Japanese style RPG. I don't necessarily like the terms jrpg and wrpg but anyway....I looked through my collection and noticed the only western RPG's I have are Mass Effect a couple of the Fable games and I think X-Men Legends on Gamecube lol. The systems I have to work with are Xbox 360 and Playstation 2. I never got into any of the elder scrolls games because I don't like how they don't have a huge emphasis on story and kind of leave the player off to do whatever they want instead of guiding the player through stages in the game. Correct this if it's wrong maybe I'll consider the games. Thanks
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 05:41:23 AM »

Fallout New Vegas. I really enjoyed it and thought the story was meatier than most Elder Scrolls games.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »

I've played all of the following on PC, and they are all available on xbox360 as well

"Classic RPG types"
Dragon Age Origins
Witcher 2
Kingdoms of Amalur

If you want something like mass effect (story driven shooter with rpg elements) then try Deus Ex: HR

Looking for a bit more action? Give Darksiders (1 and 2) a try; it's an interesting melding of zelda and god of war
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »

It's tough with the PC restriction.  Is that because of preference or your pc's performance?  There are lots of great PC games (like BioWare's old games) that are fantastic.

As for console stuff, Dragon Age, Kingdoms of Amalur, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Torchlight (xbla), and The Witcher 2 are all top-tier stuff.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga (NOT Ego Draconis) is a lot of fun.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »

The Summoner on PS2 is pretty fun, if dated.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:46:07 AM »

Its genre is a little harder to define, but Bastion is awesome, and part of what makes it good is its story.  It's on XBLA.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 12:17:35 PM »

I remember that game as being really glitchy, especially the world map, although it was many years since I tried it.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:50:45 PM »

I've only played the PC versions of the following but all are available on 360.

Witcher 2- Although I would certainly recommend playing the first one on your PC (it's really not very demanding), it really isn't necessary to enjoy the 2nd game, which arguably has much better game-play anyway. 

Dragon Age: Origins

Deux Ex: Human Revolution (although I'd argue it's really more of an action game with light RPG elements, it's a good game).

Risen 1 & 2

The reality is most of the best Western style RPGs are PC exclusives.  And contrary to popular misconception, you don't need a powerful gaming rig to play most of them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:08:22 PM by daved » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »

I remember that game as being really glitchy, especially the world map, although it was many years since I tried it.

I only played Summoner 2 but I thought it was p. great.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »

I have disdain for pretty much the entirety of BioWare's catalog (everything post KOTR). I don't recommend any of them.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is fantastic, though. It might be my favorite non-downloadable game of this console generation. Witcher 2 looks awesome, but I haven't played it.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

I have disdain for pretty much the entirety of BioWare's catalog (everything post KOTR). I don't recommend any of them.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is fantastic, though. It might be my favorite non-downloadable game of this console generation. Witcher 2 looks awesome, but I haven't played it.
Deus Ex human revolution is available for download off xbl, so it meets your criteria of downloadable title.

Heh heh.

Dragon's Dogma is probably less of a western RPG and more of a japanese beat em up with wrpg elements, but I'd stick here anyways cuz it's awesome.

TASTY!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »

I really wish Deus X: HR wasn't first person. I'm getting tired of hearing how great it is, but knowing I couldn't tolerate it being in 1st person.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

but knowing I couldn't tolerate it being in 1st person.

Why?

Also LINK you should play Planescape torment. I'm recommending this because I don't care about your no PC games restriction.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »

Deus Ex human revolution is available for download off xbl, so it meets your criteria of downloadable title.

Heh heh.

Oh shush :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: