Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 02:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334433 Posts in 13701 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Looking for some good western style RPG's (No elder scrolls games or PC games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Looking for some good western style RPG's (No elder scrolls games or PC games)  (Read 4896 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »

The Summoner on PS2 is pretty fun, if dated.

I'll second this.  It's glitchy, as stated, but it has a very interesting world and lore, paired with good music and a particular plot twist that I really enjoyed.  I think it's one of the few RPGs with a forced stealth-section (or sections) that actually does it well with the provided mechanics.  The difficulty is just about right, too.

The second game also turns the lore surprisingly grey, in the best way possible, but you wouldn't recognize it without playing the first.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:06:39 AM by Cyril » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »

Summoner 2 had really fun stealth segments, because the assassin in your party is... an actual assassin. And you get bonus points for stealth kills. So it's not just stealth for the sake of stealth it's stealth for the sake of "oh hey I backstabbed that guy to death SOOOO GRATIFYING."

God I need to get back to that game sometime.

It also had a GC port.

Fun fact: It's not that hard to find copies of Summoner 2, but iirc, it had a /really/ low print run. So the relative ease of finding it might not last long. Pick it up if you see it!

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »

I really wish Deus X: HR wasn't first person. I'm getting tired of hearing how great it is, but knowing I couldn't tolerate it being in 1st person.

I normally dislike first-person games (they tend to give me a headache), but I gave this game I shot and loved it.  Also, while it is largely first person, it switches to a third-person viewpoint whenever Adam takes cover, climbs ladders, uses certain augmentations, and makes melee attacks.  For some reason this combo works really well. 
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »

My PC is a little old but can run the original Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare just fine. The only reason I said no PC games are because a lot of the "great" RPG's are a little older from at least the 90's and I don't want to buy them used because the whole CD key thing and I don't hack or use key generators or anything. Other reason is compatibility issues even though I'm using a Windows computer. I might have to change that little exception of PC games....
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 05:51:16 PM »

Look at GOG.com. They have a ton of older PC rpgs that are altered to work on modern computers, complete with no DRM. And they are legitimate. The company behind it are the creators of the Witcher series.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »

My PC is a little old but can run the original Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare just fine. The only reason I said no PC games are because a lot of the "great" RPG's are a little older from at least the 90's and I don't want to buy them used because the whole CD key thing and I don't hack or use key generators or anything. Other reason is compatibility issues even though I'm using a Windows computer. I might have to change that little exception of PC games....

Wait, that's all? Yeah, seconding GOG here. Hell, quite a few not only didn't need CD keys at all but are still physically produced if that's what you want, and those that aren't physically produced OR on GOG should be safe to get, though I can't think of very many I'd actually recommend that isn't on there, none I have personal experience with anyway.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »

but knowing I couldn't tolerate it being in 1st person.

Why?

Also LINK you should play Planescape torment. I'm recommending this because I don't care about your no PC games restriction.

I simply hate that perspective. It feels so limited. I want to see my character, and everything around my character. FPS games feel to me what it be like to be a horse with those blinders on. Drives me crazy. Because of this, I am TERRIBLE at them.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »

Actually here I'll post my full list of recommendations from GOG.

Outcast - More action/adventure with strong RPG elements. It's on sale for a buck fifty right now. It's really good.

Anachronox - Never played this but it's Dincrest's favorite game and Dincrest is best pony so it gets my vote.

Betrayal at Krondor - Game's old and you'll need to take notes in notepad cause it lacks an auto-journal, but the game as a whole is insanely polished, works REALLY well, had a fairly linear story with a ton of side stuff, and it's really well written.

Fallout 1 - Strategic combat. Good story. Fairly short (15 hours or so) but has no filler.

Geneforge Series - summon magical monsters to use in combat. REALLY good sci-fantasy story. Plays well. Probably Spiderweb's best thing.

Gothic 1 and 2 - Like TES games done infinitely better. Especially in terms of combat (combat is HARD and skill based), world interactivity, story-telling, and having direction.

Ultima 4-8 - Ultima 1-3 are too archaic for me to really recommend (and U2 is the worst ultima game). 4 onwards though are pretty story driven. Less apparent in 4, however 4's the start of this story arc where RPG tropes are... pretty thoroughly subverted and broken down. Combat isn't the focus in these games -- the main emphasis is on adventuring, getting information, solving puzzles... Ultima 6 and 7 have REALLY interactive worlds. Ultima 7 is a pretty ballsy take-that directed at Scientology, Electronic Arts, and organized religion.

Ultima 4 is free.

You want to use the fan-made Ultima 7 engine remake called Exult with U7, though. It fixes a lot of bugs and adds some mod support.

Worlds of Ultima - These are free too. Base don Ultima 6. One is prehistoric, one takes place on Mars and is based on Jules Verne's writing. Again,r eally cool stories, and more adventure-gamey.

Realms of the Haunting - More of an adventure/FPS hybrid and not an RPG per se but it's close enough to System Shock and Ultima Underworld to be worth mentioning, and it's just a damn excellent game in general. Acting's a bit campy, but it works. The atmosphere is FANTASTIC and the story is this really cool Lovecraftian thing.

And as I said before, Planescape. Apply the fan-made patch.

Adding steam in to the mix, I'd also recommend:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - Story is pretty intentionally campy but it's entertaining. You definitely want to apply the fan-made patches with this, though.

Also Drakensang: The River of Time seems really good, though I haven't played it much. First Drakensang was apparently p. mediocre.

Freeware"

http://www.scottgames.com/ The Desolate Hope and Iffermoon. Lacking polish in some regards, but /fuck/ the thematic grandeur is something else.

Quest for Glory 2 VGA - RPG/Adventure hybrid. Delightfully bereft of the stupid shit you usually find in Sierra's games. Remake of QFG2 is freeware. You can get the other four games in the series on gog in a single pack.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:23 AM »

In that case I'll echo everyone who has said, just get older PC games from GOG.  Their versions are optimized for modern Windows PCs.  Or in the case of Baldur's Gate 1 get BG: Enhanced Edition.

Here's some must-play PC exclusive RPGs:

Neverwinter Nights (with both expansions):  The main reason to get NWN is for the player made content.  The official campaign is mediocre at best, but players have used the toolset to make some truly awesome (and totally free) campaigns.  If you like I can recommend a few of my favorite modules (I prefer the role-play heavy ones) but the NWN vault has a rating system (Unfortunately the vault is plagued mediocre modules with scores of 8 or 9, presumably to avoid hurt feelings). 

Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer expansion- like NWN there are some great player-made campaigns on the Vault, but unlike NWN1, the official campaign is quite enjoyable (although a needlessly battle heavy in some parts).  Making your character from a large selection of races and classes and taking him/ her all the way to level 30 by the end of the expansion is a great immersive experience.

The Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition

Baldur's Gate I & II +expansions.  Great games that offer quite a bit of freedom of player choice.  My only real complaint is the economy of both games is so messed up and you'll likely end up with far more gold than you could possibly spend and more loot and items than your party can possibly carry.   

Drakensang: River of Time-   The battle path-finding is a little clunky but it's such a great little game. 

Fallout 1 & 2

Planescape; Torment-  I'm playing this one right now.  It is showing it's age but there's great character interaction and a huge amount of player choice. 
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 01:29:22 AM »

I normally dislike first-person games but I gave this game I shot and loved it.

Same. I think I own....three FPS games this gen, and two of those (Doom 3 and Riddick are ports of last gen games.)

Deus Ex is just a damn fine game, with good mechanics, fun power ups and a great soundtrack.

It was a really, really nice surprise.

I wish they'd remaster the first game with HR's control system. I find the first game unplayable.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 12:18:15 AM »

Why didn't anyone mention that game called dark something....I forget the name but I think namco made it. Even though it's a japanese company it seems like a western style game
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »

From Software made it. It's called Dark Souls and it's the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 12:52:53 AM »

From Software made it. It's called Dark Souls and it's the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls.

It's also one of the best action RPGs ever made.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »

I wonder why no one mentioned it. I thought it was a Playstation 3 exclusive and I even remember looking it up and seeing that but recently I looked the games up again and saw I think one of them is and the other is on both consoles as well as Windows PC so yeah I'll check those out
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »

So far I picked up two of the games. I picked up Dragon Age Origins and stole Deus Ex Human Revolution. both from Gamestop but different stores. I had Deus Ex Human Revolution but sold it for a stupid reason and got next to nothing for it....either that or traded it for something. Gamestop makes so much money anyway and I was pretty fucked up so I took a stack of Xbox 360 boxes and asked the guy if I could take a look at Deus Ex Human Revolution. He walked away from the counter saying it should be on the wall little did he know I had it in the stack of games I was holding. So he opened the draw with the game in it and let me look at the game with the disc in it. I pretending to look at all the boxes while more customers walked in and than just took the game with the disc in it and ran out. I had my car parked on the other side of the shopping center still running. They rob people everyday so fuck it man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: