Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 09:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319072 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  THEY'RE BRINGING BACK DUCKTALES (WOO-OO)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: THEY'RE BRINGING BACK DUCKTALES (WOO-OO)  (Read 3850 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »

I'm having a great time with it.  It's not perfect by any means, but neither was the original.  Yes, I'd like the jumping in DT:R to be a little less floaty but I got used to it and have been kicking tail.  And I would have liked swimming in Scrooge's money bin to have a few extra dynamics.  Like maybe he could play with an earned treasure to trigger a mini-game.  Or have him do different swimming strokes.  

I think as a love letter to the original, WayForward nails it.  And it almost seems damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Add too much to it and nostalgia freaks complain that it's not true to the original.  Don't do enough modern enhancements and everyone complains you just ported or ROM-dumped it without doing anything.  In this case, I think WayForward got the balance just right.  I LOVE how each stage feels like an interactive episode of the cartoon. 

Would a modern gamer born after 1990 appreciate it as much as oldheads like us?  Probably not, because they didn't grow up with DuckTales.  Like I remember my parents showing me this old movie they really liked.  It was a solid movie but there was this one explosion scene they were totally ga-ga over and hyped it up for me.  When that scene came, the explosion was weaksauce for me because I've grown up in a cinematic era of epic explosions.  Back in my parents' time, explosions were uncommon in film, so that one was the biggest of its time.  I appreciated that scene for its historical significance, but I didn't get that visceral feeling from it like my parents did, because they remembered back when they were kids.  

So, basically, DuckTales: Remastered is a game 100% for a particular niche and that niche will love it.  

I think this video shows the best side-by-side comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pkk7JXS24w

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:38:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »

It's on my "Wish List" of games to play down the road.  I own the original cartridge and have loved the game for many years now.  I just have one question: Is there an option to switch the music to it's original counterpart?  It would be awesome to hear the original soundtrack.  Maybe once I'm done with Dragon's Crown and Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, I might just be able to get around to checking out Ducktales: Remastered.

According to this, there is (but you have to get through the game first to unlock it).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

Confirmed.  You have to complete the game first before you can unlock the 8-bit music option. 

And be warned, the final level, post
Code:
Dracula Duck where you race Magica and Glomgold to the #1 dime
, can be really cheap.  Still, it took me back to those old days as a kid where I'd be shouting, "What?!?!  You gotta be kidding!" at the TV whenever I missed a jump. 

Either way, it was an enjoyable game.  I had more fun with it than I have with games 3-4 times the price.  I don't regret preordering this one, especially since the preorder goodie pS3 home screen theme is pretty sweet. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

Confirmed.  You have to complete the game first before you can unlock the 8-bit music option. 

And be warned, the final level, post
Code:
Dracula Duck where you race Magica and Glomgold to the #1 dime
, can be really cheap.  Still, it took me back to those old days as a kid where I'd be shouting, "What?!?!  You gotta be kidding!" at the TV whenever I missed a jump. 

Either way, it was an enjoyable game.  I had more fun with it than I have with games 3-4 times the price.  I don't regret preordering this one, especially since the preorder goodie pS3 home screen theme is pretty sweet. 

To be fair, even at full tilt you barely had enough time to make it to the final treasure before the other guys in the original version.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 11:08:35 PM »

Original version of that "final chase" is cake compared to Remastered.  Remastered definitely upped the ante on that and the boss battles. 

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 02:36:36 AM »

It's on my "Wish List" of games to play down the road.  I own the original cartridge and have loved the game for many years now.  I just have one question: Is there an option to switch the music to it's original counterpart?  It would be awesome to hear the original soundtrack.  Maybe once I'm done with Dragon's Crown and Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, I might just be able to get around to checking out Ducktales: Remastered.

According to this, there is (but you have to get through the game first to unlock it).

Nice!

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2013, 03:17:20 AM »

Original version of that "final chase" is cake compared to Remastered.  Remastered definitely upped the ante on that and the boss battles. 

Yeah, it also provides an alternate answer to your "Damn, how the hell did I beat this game as a kid?  This is brutal!" statement: we never beat this, just the game this is based on. Seriously, how the end run was expanded, while well intentioned, is just a few frustrating steps from being a new-yet-reasonable challenge. Slight stage modification and/or more lives would've done wonders.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2013, 05:04:25 PM »

If I wasn't playing in "easy mode" (where you get unlimited lives and you begin at pseudo-checkpoints after you die) I would have destroyed my controller throwing it against the wall. 

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »

Finally beat that final level after about 15 tries. I kept getting to the very last jump only to hit the bottom of the platform and fall to my doom. I could end the level with all 3 lives and still not make it because of that last jump.

But I gotta say, that piano version of the Moon Theme during the credits was pretty awesome.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2013/09/ducktales-remastered-coming-to-retail-in-november

So for those of you out there who can't stand digital or just want to keep it oldskool, you're in luck.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

All three systems? $20?

Sold.

It's sending the wrong message to people on the fence about AA5 though.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »

Physical purchase for me then!

Currently playing: Dark Souls II (PS3)
Waiting on: Drakengard 3, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: