Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327471 Posts in 13409 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  THEY'RE BRINGING BACK DUCKTALES (WOO-OO)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: THEY'RE BRINGING BACK DUCKTALES (WOO-OO)  (Read 4942 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 04:27:17 AM »

All this platforming talk reminds me of a game I wish would get a rerelease.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »

I pulled the trigger on ordering this from PSN and have the "preorder bonus" DuckTales theme on my PS3 menu page. 

And I'm STILL flabbergasted that Alan Young (OG Scrooge) and June Foray (OG Majica) are voicing this.  I mean, they're both, what, 95 or something?  Wow, I'd be the luckiest duck alive if I'm 95 and still working, let alone just functioning if I'm not already dead.  I think the guy who voiced Glomgold died in '94 so he's being voiced by an in-house Disney guy for this one. 

As for playability/balancing/etc. I'm just glad it's been retooled such that you don't have to go through the Transylvania level three times. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty incredible that they got the original voice actors.  I've been telling everyone I know about the game because of that alone.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »

I pulled the trigger on ordering this from PSN and have the "preorder bonus" DuckTales theme on my PS3 menu page. 

And I'm STILL flabbergasted that Alan Young (OG Scrooge) and June Foray (OG Majica) are voicing this.  I mean, they're both, what, 95 or something?  Wow, I'd be the luckiest duck alive if I'm 95 and still working, let alone just functioning if I'm not already dead.  I think the guy who voiced Glomgold died in '94 so he's being voiced by an in-house Disney guy for this one. 

As for playability/balancing/etc. I'm just glad it's been retooled such that you don't have to go through the Transylvania level three times. 

To be fair, you didn't have to go very far in either of the Transylvania related fetch-quests.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »

You did have to do the level multiple times in its entirety, though.  Once to fight Magica and once to fight Dracula Duck.  Transylvania itself was a cool enough level, but being thrust in it multiple times was like too much of a good thing. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »

You did have to do the level multiple times in its entirety, though.  Once to fight Magica and once to fight Dracula Duck.  Transylvania itself was a cool enough level, but being thrust in it multiple times was like too much of a good thing. 

To be fair though, they needed someplace to hold the Magica fight and the Golmgold race. I guess they could move it to either Scrooge's Vault or his BatDuckcave (assuming those aren't the same thing).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »

Either way, I hear DuckTales: Remastered has some additional levels so I look forward to seeing what they do.  

And the moon level music is the cat's pajamas.  I particularly like Plasma3's arrangement of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwbMkIROOGU
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:33:42 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 10:21:29 PM »

My impressions of DuckTales: Remastered-

The game is good, but it's very old school.  Even in easy mode, I died a LOT.  The Amazon level's boss was damn near merciless; they made him more difficult in the new version.  I've only done the Amazon and African Mines so far.  The game is fun; it's the old DuckTales we know and love, but with added dialogues, cutscenes, remastered music, great graphics, and everything.  It sounds like the voice cast had a great time doing the skits.  The only negative I have is that the jumping (both regular and pogo) is a little floaty, but it's nothing I can't get used to.  I want to try the NES original just to see if the control is any better or worse.    

Definitely a good nostalgia trip for people our age who grew up playing this on the NES and it makes me think "Damn, how the hell did I beat this game as a kid?  This is brutal!"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:28:30 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 04:02:35 AM »

Definitely a good nostalgia trip for people our age who grew up playing this on the NES and it makes me think "Damn, how the hell did I beat this game as a kid?  This is brutal!"

Well, it does seem they tweaked enough of the game to be potentially harder or at least longer, namely the boss fights, but I think when it comes to that question specifically all it takes is looking at what other NES games there were to go "oh, right, this was one of the easier ones."

And we probably are used to quite a few modern conveniences by now, IE not losing lives when we fall in pits or even having lives in the first place. Hell, the one series that still carries those torches, Mario, has become something of a joke when it comes to lives, just handing them to you like candy, if I was stuck at 1-4 spare lives all the time in many New Super Mario Bros games like I am here I'd probably be constantly thrown back to fortresses/castles and have to replay stages all the time, rather than being disappointed I no longer capped out my lives.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 05:42:40 AM »

It's on my "Wish List" of games to play down the road.  I own the original cartridge and have loved the game for many years now.  I just have one question: Is there an option to switch the music to it's original counterpart?  It would be awesome to hear the original soundtrack.  Maybe once I'm done with Dragon's Crown and Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, I might just be able to get around to checking out Ducktales: Remastered.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »

No, it's just the remastered music in the game, which itself is really good.  I don't miss the old 8-bit PCM music.  There is a bunch of unlockable content like character art, concept art, music, etc.  I haven't unlocked the music yet, so I don't know if the original 8-bit PCM is in there or not. 

Compare the original 8-bit moon theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

And the DuckTales: Remastered version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1zeUIffyac

(And for a lark, my favorite rendition of the Moon theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzC3UuI__Zo)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:13:26 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »

Okay, I played three of the main stages, and I have to say that this game 1) looks and sounds lovely, 2) rekindles a lot of positive nostalgia I have for the NES version, and 3) has more negative changes than positive ones. 

I like the retooled bosses (original bosses were too boring, these are pretty good) and the new audio and visuals, but this is the same 2-button gameplay we had before, and there is virtually nothing new about the stages or basic gameplay/  The new material, like the voice work, brief cutscenes, and opening bit in Scrooge's mansion, is ultimately not worth it and bogs the game down rather than enhances it.  If you own the original cart and are thinking about this, try before you buy. 

But do I like it?  Sure.  The bosses are nice, the voice work is a little much but occasionally charming, and there might be some cool endgame stuff I haven't encountered yet.  I think that this game has aged decently, but I wish that a full $15 remake would have added some twists or new stuff that is both interesting and beyond cosmetic.  So far that wasn't the case.  I still like DuckTales, but this new one isn't new enough. 

EDIT: and please, this game was never hard and still isn't hard.  Every single Mega Man game ever made is tougher.  The new bosses are harder, but those old bosses NEEDED an upgrade in difficulty. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:13:38 PM by Monsoon » Logged

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »

That Gamespot review was rough,lol.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:32 PM »

Based on Gamespot's usual numbering, I think that review was too harsh.  Still, their complaints aren't necessarily wrong.  The platforming is okay (better than they're indicating, but maybe below par) and the bosses are better than the original game, but most of the additions are bleh and the nuts and bolts of DuckTales are showing their age. 

Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »

I think the reviewer had made an article about Nostalgia blinding us or something of that nature. Just by looking at D:R, it looks to be a solid game.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: