Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319130 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  PS Plus is awesome
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PS Plus is awesome  (Read 1063 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »

Sorry to sound like an advertisement here, but I'm really loving this service.

I was kind of skeptical about PS+ at first, and when I looked at the lists of free stuff and discounts that would occasionally be published during the early months of the service there really wasn't much I actually wanted.  But I eventually signed up for PS+ shortly after they started including Vita games in it because I hadn't had my Vita for long at that point and it seemed like a cheap way to get some more games for it.  It didn't hurt that one of the free games was Uncharted: Golden Abyss, which I wanted to play anyway and it was still going for full retail price most places.  So a year of PS+ was as cheap as that one game...why not give it a shot.

But man, I never expected to get so much use out of the service.  Uncharted was just the tip of the iceberg.  Games I was genuinely interested in, didn't already own, and became available for free on PS+ during the time I've had it (which has only been like half a year...) include:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Quantum Conundrum
LittleBigPlanet 2
Vanquish
Spec Ops: The Line
Wild Arms (PSOne Classic)

This is not supposed to be a complete list of games at all, just games that I was both interested in and didn't already own.  There are lots of other games that I've downloaded just because they were free but realistically probably won't ever play because I'm not that into them and my backlog is big enough as it is.  And of course there are games that have been free for PS+ but I already owned (like Gravity Rush, which I bought about a week before it became available on PS+ making me feel like a sucker...).  And this is just free games, I'm not even counting the discounts and things which I've also benefitted from.  And I haven't even had the service for half a year yet...still have plenty of time to go.  For only $50 a year it seems like an insanely good deal.

Oh, and I just read that Disgaea 3 for Vita is going to be free starting this week, so I'll be grabbing that too.  Huzzah.

Anyone else using PS+?  Do you love it ass much as I do?

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »

I got PS+ when it debuted, had it for a year, stopped using it briefly, then resubscribed for a year again.  There's definitely a lot of value to the service, and I expect that it's going to make Microsoft alter their approach for next-gen when people are shopping for a new console.  The service is growing in popularity, is getting a lot of positive talk, and it's going to pull more people over to Sony unless Microsoft does something to make Xbox Live worthwhile when they announce their new platform.  Halo is no longer enough to get people to subscribe, and it's blatantly obvious which online subscription gets them more for their money.

PS+ helped me avoid paying for a full retail copy of Infamous, which I didn't like.  So there was money saved.  Also am playing a fair bit of Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, again thanks to PS+.  The list goes on.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »

I didn't like Infamous either, but I paid full retail for it...

Actually, I got Infamous 2 off of PS+ too.  Completely forgot about it.  Haven't actually played it, but I have heard people say it's better than the first one...maybe I should give it a shot.  I liked the idea of the series but the combat was pretty dull and repetitive and the moral choices felt forced and artificial.  But I don't know any games that really does moral choices well.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »

I hated how gross and drab everything felt in Infamous.  The second one was cool though and it gets better as you go.  But...eh.
IIRC, quite a few of the Ass Creeds are free as well.

And yeah, I hear PS+ is grand.  I'm sure they fixed it up when they realized their service wasn't worth the [somewhat large] fee for what it actually offered. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »

Having recently replayed Infamous and then started Infamous 2 again, I can confirm that there's a big jump between the two games.  2 looks probably a generation better than 1, Cole moves more quickly, the combat's better... I'd definitely recommend that you try it out.

I also quite like PS+, and just subscribed late last year.  I've actually found it to be too much of a good thing at times.  I keep thinking "oh, there's another game I absolutely need to download!  What about the four waiting for me to play?  Oh well."

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »

The cloud saves seem nice but the fact you only "own" your games as long as you pay for the service and you lose them as soon as you stop paying for the service is a deal breaker for me.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »

I thought of it that way too, but at some point, I realized that I pretty much never go back and play games a second time.  Too many new games to play.  If I somehow did want to, I could just buy the game, knowing that I will enjoy it.  Sure, the money I "invested" in it via a PS+ subscription is gone, but since I'm not buying the game at release time, I'm probably going to be able to find it cheap anyway.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »

As long as they keep adding great games to the service I'll keep subscribing.  I'm in it for the new content, really, but being able to keep your old games around is a bonus.

Really, I could see being upset about not keeping games permanently if you were paying anything close to retail prices...but you're not.  And much like Tooker I really don't have time to replay games anyway.

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:18:46 PM »

How easy is it to sign onto the PSN store and see deals exclusive for PS+? I may sign up for dis

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »

Well, it's as easy as anything on the new PSN Store (I'm not a fan of the redesign...).  There are tabs for general PS+ stuff, recent additions, and soon-to-expire deals.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:34:51 PM »

I'd say Kevadu described it well.  Sadly, it's much harder to find the info online.

—Kurt Vonnegut
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

The cloud saves seem nice but the fact you only "own" your games as long as you pay for the service and you lose them as soon as you stop paying for the service is a deal breaker for me.

Remember that's only for games that are free as part of the subscription.  Any games that you buy using a PS+ discount or sale (like me buying Hot Shots Golf for $9) are yours permanently.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

How easy is it to sign onto the PSN store and see deals exclusive for PS+? I may sign up for dis

Ultra-easy to use.... even I don't have a problem with it :P

I absolutely love ps plus! If you like downloading anything off the network or doing anything online with your games it is a money saver. And I don't even think about whether or not I want a game when its free, I just buy it so its on my download list for the future just in case (this way it doesn't take up disc space and it is available for what seems to be freakin' forever).

Additional note about the cloud storage and whatnot FYI... even if you let your subscription expire or lapse for awhile, once you sign back up everything is available again.

I have 2 ps3's. One in what I call my "current" gen room and another in what I call my "classic" room which also act as "present playthrough room" and "backlog room" (its better than having a living room and a bedroom, I swear!!). And when the need arises for me to continue a game on the alternate system, cloud storage is a god send. Simply copy save data to the cloud, restore on another system and voila'.... Even works for "copy protected" game data.

I don't even touch online multiplayer stuff at all and ps plus is still enough of a reason for me to be completely dedicated to sony. i would go so far as to say it is one of the few services that I feel I really take advantage of (as opposed to most services that generally take advantage of me for some privelage or product that should either be free or cost a hell of a lot less).

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 06:36:34 PM »

Remember that's only for games that are free as part of the subscription.  Any games that you buy using a PS+ discount or sale (like me buying Hot Shots Golf for $9) are yours permanently.

And honestly I only consider the "free" thing an issue because you can't buy a game you got for free unless the subscription lapses, not unless you go for two accounts and I'd rather actually OWN the stuff under one account (nevermind when a free game is delisted then given a good Plus sale.) If I could still buy the games in case I wanted more permanent ownership then there'd be no problems at all.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 02:05:13 AM »

they just added disgaea 3

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: