Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 12:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319247 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Atelier Escha & Logy uses the Dynasty Warriors engine (no, not Atelier Warriors)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Atelier Escha & Logy uses the Dynasty Warriors engine (no, not Atelier Warriors)  (Read 4262 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 04:15:18 PM »

I'm not sure what to think of that opening.  Maybe it'll grow on me.  I think it might be hard to top Flower Sign from Ayesha though, so maybe my expectations were a bit high when it comes to opening movie themes.

The twirling, colorful flowers definitely scream '70s, though.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 04:18:19 PM »

http://youtu.be/m0Cj5l7W6lo

Escha and Logy's...very Euro-Rock opening.  Watch as they float around in Flower Space!

That opening has an awful lot of...walking.  Walk right.  Walk left.  Walk towards the camera.  Walk away from the camera.  Walk towards each other.  Walk away from each other.  Just whatever you do, don't stop walking!

I actually kind of like the song, though.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:45 PM »

That opening has an awful lot of...walking.

You just made me instantly think of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvg3qYvhDsY
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »

It has a lot of the bad habits that Ayesha's opening did.  A lot of, daresay, "clipart" and textiles hit this opening the same way weird flourishes sort of sprouted everywhere in Ayesha's.  Similarly, despite the wide and crazy cast, we only saw Ayesha and Nio in her game's intro and here we just get Escha and Logy. 

Both songs were good, but little action otherwise.  I'd say Ayesha did a better job with the mood, but this opening was clearly going for a bit more pizzaz and ...a less lullaby-y sound..

EURO ROCK.  Nobody else gets that impression or did I just hear too much of it growing up?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »

http://youtu.be/m0Cj5l7W6lo

Escha and Logy's...very Euro-Rock opening.  Watch as they float around in Flower Space!

yuck

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »

EURO ROCK.  Nobody else gets that impression or did I just hear too much of it growing up?

It sounds like some strange mix of JRock and EuroRock, I think.  Or, rather, a Japanese take on Eurorock from 20 years ago and it ends up something of a parody.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:47 PM »

EuroRock?

I am confused. Like...Gogol Bordello?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »

EuroRock?

I am confused. Like...Gogol Bordello?

That's gypsy rock.

"Euro-Rock" as in Rolling Stones / Beatles? Maybe? But harder and edgier?

Anyway, I REALLY like this opening. Simple as it is. I doubt this will top Ayesha, but I am not writing this game off.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »

In typical British fashion I forget I am European and immediately think of Eastern Europe at the mention of EuroRock. :P

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »

Eastern Europe, not gypsy or Beatles. =P 
I played it for my mum and she agreed (my dad will be the real test).  It's hard to explain, but I've grown up with parents who can't lose their flair for music from the homeland so I could pick up on it (I'll try to find an example).

Anyways, I like it a lot.  The riff is catchy and the theme, thank Christ, isn't generic J-pop (they tried that, the results was that fuckhead of a theme from Atelier Iris 2).  The visuals, even if not terribly varied, still manages to work well with the melody (and I *adore* the flowers, fleur de lis, and other symbols matching the opening's bass right at the start).

Again, simple, but it worked for Ayesha's too with the flower maze and slowly crumbling ruins and all the floating around in some weird space.

The animation for the Arland series was...just boring, so I kinda like the more abstract and visually and musically-driven openings even if they detail less about the game. 

style>substance

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »

There is a pert of me that hates myself for not having played Ayesha.
I have hopes to get it from my GF. It was supposed to be a surprise but she called me asking how to order from play-asia and I said that Ayesha she would not find here under no circumstances, only online.

The thing is I got sad because of the dual audio thing so I decided to wait for a possible deal on either the US or Japanese version.

As for the opening, I like it a lot. Like some I preffer Ayesha's but I think it fits perfectly for a game that has two main characters.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2013, 02:28:07 AM »

^ Ayesha, rather the Atelier series is a bit of a tough thing to reccomend.

I think if Gust spent another...maybe few weeks or a month to polish the games, they'd be bumped a full-letter grade.  And while the alchemy system is extremely well-done and incredible in-depth, too much of the rest is somewhat sloppy (music and artwork aside).
Since Rorona, the graphics have gotten exponentially better.  But, and in Ayesha, there are about 10 variaties of enemies and I think only 3 storyline bosses (so yeah, the rest are enemies and harder versions of those enemies as "area bosses").  The game is also dialogue-heavy, which is good if you love light-hearted anime, but bad to the rest of the world because the "quality" of writing  (rather lack of) makes cutscenes a drag and the characters as 3D anime tropes.

There's also a lack of direction in the games.  Of course, Ayesha is the most lenient of the [traditional-style] Atelier games.

If you can excuse that, I totally recommend it because there are few games quite like the Atelier series that really exist.

Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »

I was waiting to get it cheap on the side, but that's not too encouraging a review =/
Maybe I'll just wait for the next one... yet again.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »

I think I'm in the same boat as Dice, I really love the Atelier games, but I couldn't actually point to one specific quality that makes them appealing.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »

I apologize for the double post, but I just saw the new DLC for Ayesha, and I have to say someone needs to have a word with NIS. If they're going to sell ultimately pointless DLC like costumes, they might want to try pricing it a little cheaper than $3 each. For the new characters, I can kind of see $3, but for a simple costume? Feh.

At least it's not as bad as the Hyperdimension Neptunia series. 90 pieces of DLC each, ranging anywhere from $1-$6... that's just crazy.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: