Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:23:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319582 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Should I replay FFX or wait for the remake?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Should I replay FFX or wait for the remake?  (Read 1938 times)
Synctor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »

What do you guys think? After looking at screens for FFX: R, I can't decide whether I should replay the game or just hold out for the new version what do you guys think?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 09:33:26 AM »

Replaying, and you care enough to make this thread?

Wait on the remake. Especially if you're from North America as we never got the International version here before.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »

I don't think it should even be referred to as a remake.  "Remake" implies it was rebuilt from the ground up, with significant alterations or enhancements.  It is a HD port; still essentially the same game with minor graphical tweaks, so it can support higher resolutions.  However, I have read it will be the "International version" which contains 9 new optional bosses, a few other changes, and an extended epilogue (which you can watch on youtube).  Assuming that is accurate it's up to you to decide it it's worth paying for when you already own the game.

Personally, I liked the game overall (despite finding Tidus incredibly stupid and irritating protagonist and hating the whole blitzball thing), but don't have a strong urge to play it again.  Of course, I hail from the "Final Fantasy is highly overrated camp".  FFX is the only FF game I've tried that I've actually played to completion.  But it's so linear I just don't know why I'd want to play through it again.  Since it is supposed to have the international content, I may pick it up once I can get a dirt cheap used copy. 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:48:25 AM by daved » Logged

Check out the Dragon Fin Soup raffle contest for a chance to win free art prints, plushies, or a deluxe digital copy of the game.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

Since I already have a used copy of FFX-1 I'm pretty much set as far as these games are concerned (now if only I can get my PS2 back). The only thing the International version of X-1 has going for it is the more open sphere grid, going from this to this.

The international version extras used to interest me back in 2002-3 but that ship has long since sailed for far better games.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 02:49:21 PM »

I would wait for the HD release without a doubt! Knowing me, even if I did replay X now cause I had an itch, I would be kicking myself in the ass for not waiting once the new release came out. Even if  the only "new" content is a few bosses or whatnot.

I still feel the need to re-play chrono trigger on the DS just for the lousy extra dungeon! And I already played through that enough times to have literally memorized dungeon layouts!!! I hate not having played the most "definitive" or "full" version of a game I appreciate....

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »

I'd wait. It may not be "full" remake, but they did completely redo the character models and all of the textures. The difference is staggering if you look at them side-by-side. There's also the International Sphere Grid and the Dark Aeon fights to look forward to. :)

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:25:06 AM »

I'm not completely sold on this game. I really enjoyed FFX. But I don't believe it really needed to be re-done. I feel like this is time and energy that could be spent on much better things. Polishing up ALREADY 3D graphics is like tracing over a picture and everyone saying "ooooh, what a pretty picture!" I'm not trying to sound too negative, I'm just disappointed that they put so much money into remaking this when much better games like FF6 and FF7 are still yet to have a worth while remake.

pigTails of...
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:03 AM »

The money they put into sprucing up FFX and FFX-2 do not even closely compare to how much it would cost to make FF6 or FF7 of equal graphics.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:31:40 AM »

So they're updating the soundtrack on this, like with KH HD. THe official site has the Hymn of the Fayth with live choir and instruments re-recorded. It is amazing. I will be buying this.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:54:50 AM »

I'm not completely sold on this game. I really enjoyed FFX. But I don't believe it really needed to be re-done. I feel like this is time and energy that could be spent on much better things. Polishing up ALREADY 3D graphics is like tracing over a picture and everyone saying "ooooh, what a pretty picture!" I'm not trying to sound too negative, I'm just disappointed that they put so much money into remaking this when much better games like FF6 and FF7 are still yet to have a worth while remake.
The difference between this and a FFVII remake is like the difference between fixing up a car and building a whole new car from scratch from already existing blueprints.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:03:53 AM »

I'm just disappointed that they put so much money into remaking this when much better games like FF6 and FF7 are still yet to have a worth while remake.

Pretty sure that money has been inverted in A Realm Reborn and Versus XIII (I doubt Lightning Returns has been costing them as much as those two).
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »

The difference between this and a FFVII remake is like the difference between fixing up a car and building a whole new car from scratch from already existing heavily edited blueprints.

Fixed.

And hell, I'm still waiting for that FFV3DS remake (ala FFIIIDS and FFIVDS) to see what they're going to screw up with that. Right now, all we're getting is an ugly iOS port.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »

The difference between this and a FFVII remake is like the difference between fixing up a car and building a whole new car from scratch from already existing heavily edited blueprints.

Fixed.

to see what they're going to screw up with that.

Not everyone hated FFIVDS, if that's what you're implying. I thought it was the best version of the game yet. I'd actually welcome the FFV 3DS port, personally.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:51 PM »

Fixed.

Not everyone hated FFIVDS, if that's what you're implying. I thought it was the best version of the game yet. I'd actually welcome the FFV 3DS port, personally.

I completely agree. I'd even be fine with the new FFV on the iPhone that just came out. It looks gorgeous.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »

Fixed.

I've heard some superficial complaints about FFIVDS, mostly involving those skills you can pass down to people and the limited number of NG+s, but I never bothered with the version myself (mostly because I've played through FFIV from the Chronicles port and that's enough for me (but seriously though, those aforementioned issues are pretty silly)).

But then again, unlike FFs III & IV, FFV actually has pretty solid gameplay and enough freedom and variety in its Job System that there shouldn't really be a need to fuck with it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: