Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 09:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327769 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl  (Read 5082 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:18:27 AM »

Atlus announces Shin Sekaiju no Meikyuu (New Etrian Odyssey)

・Nintendo 3DS
・6/27 release in Japan

Director: Shigeo Komori
Character Design: Yuji Himukai
Monster Design: Shin Nagasawa
Music: Yuzo Koshiro

"Remake of Etrian Odyssey (1), expanded story scenario, voice acting. More details to come."

Update: Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl coming to North America
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:15:06 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:25:58 AM »

Oh jeeze, and I just replayed EO1 a few weeks ago.

Well, at the very least the Fourth Stratum won't be so miserable anymore with the enhanced mapping options. And, obviously, I'd like to see expanded story and atmosphere in the fifth stratum.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »

... It's an announcement of a new game in a thread about the newly released game's own announcement. That's a little ridiculous when you stop to think of it.

So, yeah, split.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:30:23 AM »

You don't get to make your own party? I think I'd skip the game just because I don't send the message that I want EO5 to be a more standard jrpg.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »

You don't get to make your own party? I think I'd skip the game just because I don't send the message that I want EO5 to be a more standard jrpg.

If it's an EO remake,you can absolutely make your party.  Where are you reading this?
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »

They added more to the original linked post.

Okay, way more information (and some scans) have started popping up. This is... really... odd. Definitely a new direction for EO. The graphics and presentation looks the same, pretty much like EO4, except it no longer looks like a "create your own party from the start and just explore" dungeon crawler. Instead there's a main character who you can name (he is voiced in story scenes), and there's a full story where you meet other characters, and they join your party like a story RPG. All the characters appear to be voiced.

The storyline is based on EO1, but there are a ton of changes. The story starts with the main character running into a mysterious girl. The main character is a young man from the Highlands, doing some job for the guild office in Etria, and the girl he runs into is Frederica Irving, who appears to have lost her memory. Her character design has her holding a gun too.

So yeah, an EO1 remake with named characters, voice acting, and more focus on plot. Did anyone really ask for this? It's... somewhat interesting though I must say. It also means you no longer create classes for your party too, since all the party members are actual characters who have their own fixed classes. Hmm...
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:15:09 AM »

.... Why?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »

Then it gets a "we'll' see" from me.  Unchained Blades had named, voiced characters and the character development and dungeon crawling weren't compromised, but I honestly can't see a game based on EO1's story being particularly interesting to me before the Fourth Stratum (where the protagonist will undoubtedly angst constantly, but it should be interesting seeing him give in).
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:13:32 PM »

Oops, didn't see this topic and I posted this in the EO4 thread. Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. The added story elements and fixed characters will severely limit replay value, I think. No one knows for sure if they've complete eliminated the character creation system, so we'll see.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/etrian-odyssey-millennium-girl-announced-for-3ds

From what this link provides, I think we're jumping to the wrong conclusion about this being a remake.

What this seems to be is more of a gaiden rather than either a full blown EO5 or EO1 remake.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:37:25 PM »

The links mention a Gunner, too, a class that wasn't introduced until EO2.

Whatever is going on here, changes are afoot.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

I love the idea of having story characters with personality with some but not complete flexibility in class creation. This is a creative use of the EO style, and I'm not gonna lie-- totally on board.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »

So it's a re-imagining of the original EO now turned into a standard RPG? Not sure if want...

There are some scans available (along with those of Devil Survivor 2).
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »

So it's a re-imagining of the original EO now turned into a standard RPG? Not sure if want...

There are some scans available (along with those of Devil Survivor 2).

Well, it's still EO which, at it's heart, is a first person dungeon crawler. Taking away the character creation aspect and adding some story and fixed characters doesn't make it standard. I doubt I would see the casual market rushing out to buy this game.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:36 PM »

I know, it's the idea of a set party and a story/character-driven game that turns me off a bit. I would have preferred a straight up EO1 remake.  Still, I gotta keep in mind it's a spinoff and very little information is known at the moment.

I just hope it won't have an effect on future main series games. Minimalism is good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: