Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 25, 2016, 06:05:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
246421 Posts in 7382 Topics by 2383 Members
Latest Member: xxkinsmanxx
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  RPGFan Music Discussion
| | |-+  Langrisser Music
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Langrisser Music  (Read 880 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »

Figured I'd make a thread considering the review with Langrisser 1-3 is up on the main page: http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/lang123-masaya/

I'll admit I haven't played much of the Langrisser franchise outside of the first two levels of Warsong (Langrisser 1), but I always admired the art and music of the games. The Soundtrack collection the review covers seems to be a great example why, too, since it includes includes the different versions the soundtracks between consoles (i.e. the PCE version of Langrisser 1 as well as the Genesis Warsong), and all of it sounds great. In fact, a lot of times listening to those samples, I couldn't even decide which platform had the better music of each game, since it seems that each played up the strengths of whatever they were working with - more beat-heavy synth for the Genesis versions, but they might add in (or sub in) more realistic sounding instruments in the other versions.* Granted the samples only included one comparable track, and it wasn't the best choice, IMO. It's one of the cases where I could definitely say they were straining to replicate an intrument sound that didn't come out well on the Genesis, to the point where I kept thinking they were trying to make a guitar sound until I listened to the Super Famicom version, where I realized it was supposed to be a saxaphone. And failed. Hard. At least the SFC version of that track was good, though.

Now I kinda hope the next set comes out soon (and gets reviewed. I understand that's not guaranteed), since I kinda had difficulty finding Langrisser V music last time I tried. At the very least a I'd have easier access to a decent tracklist translation.

* I apologize to the more music-inclined, whom most likely make up the majority of the viewers in this sub-forum, if it turns out I'm using the wrong terminology here, or otherwise talking out of my ass. I probably shouldn't have even included that sentence, since I know next to nothing about music outside of "it sounds good" or "it sounds bad", and the occasional term I picked up from Middle School music class and/or my musicially-inclined sibling, but I feel like it would be a half-finished thought if I didn't at least try to explain what I thought the strengths of each console's music was. Not the best way to start a thread, but damnit, I love the music in these games...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:15 AM »

Glad to have another Langrisser fan among us.

I'm interested to see what comes next. It's perfectly possible that "Masaya Game Music Vol. 2" will be a Cho Aniki collection, or a hodge-podge of stuff. But if I could get L4 and L5 in a set, I'd pee my pants.

Thanks for taking the time to read the review and listen to the audio samples. For a guy like me who really cherishes box sets (memories of the past + completionism w/ new unearthed treasures), this was something I really couldn't pass up. I really hope SuperSweep keeps doing these kinds of box sets with other publishers too, lesser-known folks who had great music (whether RPG or no).

For example, imagine if they got the rights from Quintet/Enix (not sure if S-E had the rights passed to them or not in the merger) for the famous Super Famicom trilogy: Soul Blazer / Illusion of Gaia / Terranigma. The middle of those 3 games never had any soundtrack published, and the other two are apparently incomplete in their old (and very rare) form. A box set like that would be all kinds of lovely. Just dreaming over here.

EmeraldSword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:59:52 PM »

I've never played a Langrisser game (although I did play a little of a Growlanser game), but I'm curious about the music now. After Fire Emblem Fates, I plan on keeping an eye out for the release of Langrisser Reincarnation on 3DS this year. I just looked up the composer Noriyuki Iwadare on Wikipedia. Apparently he also did the soundtracks to the Lunar games, Ace Attorney and the Grandia series.

Formerly OG, OrsonFury. Playing: Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright. Looking forward to Grand Kingdom and Star Ocean 5.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:00:12 AM »

I've never played a Langrisser game (although I did play a little of a Growlanser game), but I'm curious about the music now. After Fire Emblem Fates, I plan on keeping an eye out for the release of Langrisser Reincarnation on 3DS this year. I just looked up the composer Noriyuki Iwadare on Wikipedia. Apparently he also did the soundtracks to the Lunar games, Ace Attorney and the Grandia series.

Yeah ... he's better known for those franchises. Langrisser is a far lesser-known work of his because only 1 of the games in the whole series made it to the west.

It's a treasure trove of, for most people, previously-unheard Iwadare goodness. :)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: