Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 14, 2016, 06:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
377455 Posts in 15105 Topics by 2334 Members
Latest Member: Malekoth
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  RPGFan Music Discussion (Moderators: Mike, Wild Armor, Embryon, Taelus, Monsoon, Lian_Kazairl, brogidchwa, DaviKaze)
| | |-+  Langrisser Music
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Langrisser Music  (Read 83 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »

Figured I'd make a thread considering the review with Langrisser 1-3 is up on the main page: http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/lang123-masaya/

I'll admit I haven't played much of the Langrisser franchise outside of the first two levels of Warsong (Langrisser 1), but I always admired the art and music of the games. The Soundtrack collection the review covers seems to be a great example why, too, since it includes includes the different versions the soundtracks between consoles (i.e. the PCE version of Langrisser 1 as well as the Genesis Warsong), and all of it sounds great. In fact, a lot of times listening to those samples, I couldn't even decide which platform had the better music of each game, since it seems that each played up the strengths of whatever they were working with - more beat-heavy synth for the Genesis versions, but they might add in (or sub in) more realistic sounding instruments in the other versions.* Granted the samples only included one comparable track, and it wasn't the best choice, IMO. It's one of the cases where I could definitely say they were straining to replicate an intrument sound that didn't come out well on the Genesis, to the point where I kept thinking they were trying to make a guitar sound until I listened to the Super Famicom version, where I realized it was supposed to be a saxaphone. And failed. Hard. At least the SFC version of that track was good, though.

Now I kinda hope the next set comes out soon (and gets reviewed. I understand that's not guaranteed), since I kinda had difficulty finding Langrisser V music last time I tried. At the very least a I'd have easier access to a decent tracklist translation.

* I apologize to the more music-inclined, whom most likely make up the majority of the viewers in this sub-forum, if it turns out I'm using the wrong terminology here, or otherwise talking out of my ass. I probably shouldn't have even included that sentence, since I know next to nothing about music outside of "it sounds good" or "it sounds bad", and the occasional term I picked up from Middle School music class and/or my musicially-inclined sibling, but I feel like it would be a half-finished thought if I didn't at least try to explain what I thought the strengths of each console's music was. Not the best way to start a thread, but damnit, I love the music in these games...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:15 AM »

Glad to have another Langrisser fan among us.

I'm interested to see what comes next. It's perfectly possible that "Masaya Game Music Vol. 2" will be a Cho Aniki collection, or a hodge-podge of stuff. But if I could get L4 and L5 in a set, I'd pee my pants.

Thanks for taking the time to read the review and listen to the audio samples. For a guy like me who really cherishes box sets (memories of the past + completionism w/ new unearthed treasures), this was something I really couldn't pass up. I really hope SuperSweep keeps doing these kinds of box sets with other publishers too, lesser-known folks who had great music (whether RPG or no).

For example, imagine if they got the rights from Quintet/Enix (not sure if S-E had the rights passed to them or not in the merger) for the famous Super Famicom trilogy: Soul Blazer / Illusion of Gaia / Terranigma. The middle of those 3 games never had any soundtrack published, and the other two are apparently incomplete in their old (and very rare) form. A box set like that would be all kinds of lovely. Just dreaming over here.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: