Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 08:49:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341050 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 105086 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1035 on: December 09, 2014, 12:05:27 AM »

Tooker is being reasonable and that's about it.

Everyone else is just "Fuck yeah digital! Fuck your opinion!"

Unless you consider calling my points about ownership of digital media "bullshit" as "being supportive of my desire for physical versions of my media".

Don't act like there's been a conversation. There hasn't been.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: December 09, 2014, 01:27:13 AM »

They're being more "man I really like digital myself!" rather than fuck your opinion, you're doing more of THAT if anything.

And if I was going to be angry about this with anyone it'd be Apple rather than Valve, Valve made a compromise between increasingly bullshit DRM and something resembling proper ownership, while Apple outright launched and made in vogue a type of platform where physical isn't even practical to implement, but really it seems like this was an inevitable trajectory as SOMEONE was going to push it. And both have their pros and cons, in that physical can leave you free from the nonsense of updates modifying a product in an undesirable way or being outright taken away from you short of physical seizure, but by the same token that means keeping it is YOUR responsibility and not just a matter of remembering a user name/password or having to contact the company if you do lose them for whatever reason, and there's a lot of investment needed to get a game out physically that may not be justified given the game's actual appeal or budget.

Taking the option away entirely across a platform where it shouldn't have to happen like the Xbox One originally would have IS frustrating, but proving the option is not the same as the platform holder deciding that for all games, period, and certainly it'd be selfish on your part to say a game shouldn't have even come out if it can't come out the specific way YOU want it to come out.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:46:35 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: December 09, 2014, 02:43:53 AM »

Tooker is being reasonable and that's about it.

Unless you consider calling my points about ownership of digital media "bullshit" as "being supportive of my desire for physical versions of my media".

Don't act like there's been a conversation. There hasn't been.

I'm confused too because in the last four pages most of your comments have been either this(^) long or a little longer than this...  we've been writing paragraphs about our perspectives. 

If you wanna talk, you gotta give us more to work with.

I'm a bit tired and having a pissy-ass day to quote everything back, but please feed us more information about your exact problem here and try to quote us a bit more in your rebuttle.

Gaming is a business and it can't always sway the way you want.  A sad, shitty reality, but we deal with it somehow.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: December 09, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »

You guys brought up some good points, the EU has already been working towards providing more consumer rights when it comes to digital goods and hopefully in the future some of those concerns will be resolved.
I understand that in the literal sense you don't own digital games but in the practical sense it's basically the same thing(the concerns mentioned are highly unlikely events, I'm not really sweating over it personally, statistically speaking these "catastrophic" events must be lesser than 1% given the volume of things being sold and the number of costumers) and there are ways around dealing with a banned account(most of the time if you didn't do something completely asinine, they will reinstate your account if you make enough noise) and as for the possibility of removing a product from the store if it's anything like PSN for example where they removed UMvC 2 or whatever, people who "owned" the digital game still had access to downloading the game even though it was pulled from the store.. And ultimately like I previously mentioned if something is on the internet, it's there forever.
Let's not forget that physical things can be lost/stolen/damaged/degraded and whatnot too. Nevertheless I think it's important that both options exist, ideally you want a physical market to coexist with a digital one. Plus I don't really trust the longevity of a digital purchase in the console environment.

I wouldn't get worked up over this discussion, you can do whatever you want. Reiterating the "Live and let live" sentiment.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:03:31 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: December 09, 2014, 09:41:06 AM »

I certainly have no objection to physical media. I agree it is a good thing that both types continue to exist - more options are better for the consumer. In the end for me it is really about price and convenience, but I'm sure Lard also has excellent reasons to prefer physical media and I know we've got a lot of collectors here that certainly still prefer it.
Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: December 16, 2014, 09:40:16 PM »

So, uh, I see that there's a massive debate over physical vs digital media, but I want to interrupt quickly with some thoughts on the latest episode. I know I'm late on this - I've been catching up on podcasts while playing Neverwinter Nights (which I bought on the recent GoG sale because I lost the play disc for my physical copy), but I'm hoping better late than never applies here, because I think it certainly applies to the western release of Tales. I'll not pretend that I'm not insanely biased towards the series. I did feel a little thrown off by the opinions here though, because they didn't seem very fair. Obviously it's not fair of me to expect everyone to know the details of a game's history, but the context (framing?) of many criticisms rubbed me the wrong way. I don't want to make a list because I fear I will come across as "LET ME EDUCATE YOU ABOUT MY FAVOURITE GAME SERIES" (which I fear I might already be doing), but as an example: Putting aside Hearts R and Symphonia, both of which are re-makes, Tales hasn't actually had a new mothership title since Xillia 2 in 2012, which makes the context about yearly releases false. That's not to say that you didn't make good points: I do agree that the Xillias have problems (I haven't played Hearts R), but the context (framing?) of the arguments bothers me.

I love your podcast, and it has provided a great background to NWN. As I said earlier, I don't expect everyone to know every detail of a game's release history, but as an RPG podcast that clearly has a great love of the genre, it felt very off putting to hear so many unfair or incorrect statements about an RPG. Hopefully we can all look forward to Tales of Zestiria, which despite coming out next year, has been in development since the (Japanese - 2011) release of Xillia 1.

I'll let everyone get back to arguing about physical vs digital now.

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: December 17, 2014, 12:09:40 AM »

Xillia 2 in 2012, which makes the context about yearly releases false.

It depends as here in NA the yearly release has been true since the 'year of tales' was announced.
Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55:23 AM »

Xillia 2 in 2012, which makes the context about yearly releases false.

It depends as here in NA the yearly release has been true since the 'year of tales' was announced.

While true they made no developmental changes with the western releases. Tales of Graces, released in 2009, was the last mothership title before 2011's Tales of Xillia. Thus the comparison to an annualized series like Assassin's Creed is false or unfair.
Sorry for not being clearer on that.

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: