Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
Re: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« Reply #405 on: October 19, 2016, 06:54:13 PM »
You're not the first person to think I'm Australian, Arvis! As Tooker says, I'm indeed from England. Sussex to be precise, although I sometimes slip into a Northern accent, which comes from my dad's side.

Thank you for your kind words. I kinda bumbled my way through out of sheer nerves and adoration for the music. Unfortunately Secret of Mana is only on Wii VC, otherwise you'll have to settle for an SNES and expensive copy of the game or the IOS version. It's a lovely game. Beautiful, and one of my favourite video game soundtracks of all time.

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 19, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »
Alana, you and I need to appear on a podcast together so people can hear the difference between a British and an Australian accent!

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 20, 2016, 01:30:19 AM »
Yes.  This needs to happen.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #408 on: October 20, 2016, 03:54:29 AM »
Alana, you and I need to appear on a podcast together so people can hear the difference between a British and an Australian accent!

Yes!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 20, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »
Ok... just to clarify, I do know the difference between most British accents and Australian/Kiwi accents (I have had friends from all areas), but something about Alana's just threw me off.  It sounded like a combination of things, and her "O"s sound Australian to me.

I hate being isolated over here in a massively huge country separated from everywhere cool by gigantic oceans.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

divingfalcons

• Honorary Blue Rogue
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #410 on: October 20, 2016, 09:34:26 AM »
Haha, we're not digging at you :)

Try living on an island surrounded by an ocean that's basically segregated itself from the rest of the mainland.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 20, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »
I hate being isolated over here in a massively huge country separated from everywhere cool by gigantic oceans.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:13:03 AM by natros »

Dalamud_Descends

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 07, 2016, 08:45:40 AM »
Love that you guys are putting out more frequent episodes!  I haven't listened to the entire new podcast, but I'm loving it so far.  Although I could have sworn that the Taylor Davis version of Zanafkand was played on a previous episode, making two versions of Besaid Island and Zanarkand being played on Rhythm Encounter.  Also, Stephen and Derek played Tsuyoshi Sekito's guitar rendition of the FFX battle theme on a very early episode as well.  All that to say FFX has been represented, though still largely underutilized based on its awesome soundtrack.

On another note, as much as you guys love the Xeno and Chrono series, have any of you had the chance to listen to Sam Dillard's Xeno/Cross album?  I just bought it on iTunes for $4.99 and it was well worth the purchase!  It's only six tracks, but he weaves  Mitsuda's two soundtracks together into nothing short of perfection, and all with his signature flare for cinematics.  I would highly recommend it and let me know what you think.  Not sure if you guys take Reader soundtrack reviews, but this one got my writing juices flowing.  Anyways, keep up the great work!

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #413 on: November 07, 2016, 10:47:20 AM »
Yeah, the Xeno Cross album is great! By the time we get to our second Interlude episode, it may be too late to include it as a "recent" album... but speaking for myself, I'll try and work it into a future episode. :)

Thanks for the feedback, and hopefully you like the rest of the episode!
"Don’t be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isn’t a demon. She’s a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

Andrew

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 07, 2016, 05:36:45 PM »
Late reply...

Try living on an island surrounded by an ocean that's basically segregated itself from the rest of the mainland.

:D

Seriously though, Australia is fantastic and I love living here.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Podcast Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 18, 2016, 10:35:10 PM »
ATTENTION Fans of Rhythm Encounter!

We're preparing our GOTY and MOTY features, and I know some of our listeners have asked about whether we're doing listener picks this year. The answer is yes! We're going to sprinkle them through our traditional blowout episodes, so PM me or Mike (or just post here) your picks for MOTY 2016! As a courtesy to your fellow listeners, please try to limit your selections to no more than three pieces. We probably won't be able to feature everything, but we'll try to make sure that everyone who sends something in gets a spot on the show.

The deadline for this is December 28th, so be sure to get your picks in by then!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:39:17 PM by Lian_Kazairl »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 21, 2016, 04:47:57 PM »
Ok, finally listening to the Interlude episode!

Thoughts:

Iclucian Dance / Ys VIII -Lacrimosa of DANA-
Allowing a single violin to be the feature instrument driving the melody on this one is what makes it special.  Without it, it would be another too-synthy "very Ys" track that basically just amounts to a lot of sound without much in the way of memorability.
But that well-defined melody stirs something lovely in among all that powerful sound.

The Underwater Ruins of Amenochi / Tales of Berseria
Classic Tales of.  This sounds like it could be in literally any other Tales game.  But in a good way.  Very synthy, but lush, as most Tales music tends to be.  The minor key breakdown about halfway through the piece was a welcome surprise, though.
You guys nailed it, though: this track makes it sounds like its location is big.  I pictured a very large underwater amphitheatre while listening.
And yes, a lot of Tales music sounds very similar to the distinct style of Star Ocean 2.

Autumn Sunshine / Tokyo Xanadu eX+
Ok, I'm happy.  I think I just listened to happy.  Someone made happy into music.  And this is what came out.  So jolly.  So sweet.  Couldn't help but smirk the whole time I was listening to that bouncy melody.
Think we'll ever get a localization of this?  Although I doubt I'll ever play it.

Special Arrange Medley FFRK Ver. Arrange / Final Fantasy Record Keeper
Nothing beats classic FF music.  So darn powerful, and so memorable.  This arrangement mixes various FF themes surprisingly well.  Surprisingly, it's when the FFXII theme (of all themes) comes in that I really broke into a big grin.  My heart is still stirred deeply by VI's music, though.

Great job, guys!  Loved the episode.  the length of the normal ones doesn't bother me at all, but neither does the length of these short ones.  Keep up all your great work.  Thanks a million.

EDIT: Loved the prank message on Marzipan's answering machine at the end.  Well done.  I adore a good turn-of-the-century reference.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:52:02 PM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #417 on: December 22, 2016, 02:19:09 AM »
Thank you as always for your lively feedback, Arvis. :) I'm glad you liked the episode. It's much easier for us to record this way by spinning off the "recent" segment to its own show. It gives more freedom to talk about these songs without worrying about cutting into the "main" topic, so both shows get more breathing room. And it also means slightly less time recording single sessions, which means less fatigue, heh.

When @Wild Armor broke into Strongbad during one of our "off air" breaks, I nearly lost it. I just HAD to include it as an outtake. Glad you enjoyed that as well. :D
"Don’t be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isn’t a demon. She’s a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 09, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
Interlude 2

TF29 / Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
A helicopter approaches the island prison, as waves crash against the rocky cliff faces.
You can get in.
But you can never get out.
Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
At least that's the impression I get, anyways.  Bleak.  Heavy.  Totally cool.

World of Nine Wood Hills / World of Final Fantasy
This is the most Final Fantasy XIII track I have ever heard.  It's more Final Fantasy XIII than anything in Final Fantasy XIII.... if that even makes sense.
That being said, it's pretty darn good.  I actually really love this distinct style and it wasn't what I was expecting at all from a track with this title.  Always love the violin that you get with XIII stuff, the echoing reverb is cool, and the vocals are oddly charming.  And when the piano gets urgent in the background, it really ties everything together.

The Song of Hometown Departure / Atelier Firis
So, I don't know if it's just that all Atelier games have amazing music or if I just really love flute-driven melodies.  But this is worthy of its Atelier heritage, for sure.  This series really knows how to do "happy" with its music.
Incidentally... I did NOT appreciate that cat litter discussion.  Thanks for that.

Paniola Town (Night) / Pokémon Sun & Moon
I played this game, thoroughly and recently, and I have no recollection of this at all.  It's quite good.  That Old West style, lazy guitar strumming really feels awesome, especially with the whistling (also a staple of Old West style music). 
It definitely doesn't sound like it's from Pokemon, for sure.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2017, 06:04:46 PM »
GET KOICHI SUIGYAMA ON SOMEHOW!!

Seriously that would be the best interview ever, I can translate I know like 12 words in Japanese... seriously that would be the best thing ever.

"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.