Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:51:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332914 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 13236 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »

You might say that mint chocolate chip ice cream is the bee's knees, but only if tin roof is unavailable. Sorry, my favorite ice cream is not your favorite ice cream :P

And I miiiight have to call Chrono Cross the "Summer RPG" from now on.  Maybe.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »

Looks like Derek's going to be making a few shoutouts :)

Also tell me more about this... tin roof.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »

This last episode was great, I liked how you spliced in some music while you were discussing things (e.g. before the Torchlight 2 track).  Also, I prefer the choice of themes for the podcasts instead of game series, as I wasn't very big on the Phantasy Star episodes; just didn't seem to have enough variety.  I thought that for the Legend of Mana selection, the Polpota Harbor theme might've been a better choice than Hometown Domina though, sounds a bit more "Summer-y".  Also, I'm kind of surprised you guys didn't mention Costa del Sol from FF7.  That would've fit in like a glove.

Are any of you playing Wizardry 8 since that's on GOG now?  I about pooped a brick when I saw that news posted on the site, since critics have said it's better than the modern Might and Magic games, and a physical copy of it was really hard to track down.  It's got some good tunes in it if you haven't played it.  I'd recommend the Character Creation and Normal Combat 1 tracks.

Sorry I haven't posted, I really like the show since it's got a good mix of nostalgia and some insight into some of the more obscure games that a lot of people wouldn't hear the music for otherwise.

And Derek, I agree, mint chocolate chip ice cream is the bees' knees, never get sick of that stuff.  Need to remember to pick me up some of that this week.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »

Thanks for the response! I'm glad the music over conversation went over well-- like I was telling Derek and Kyle before we recorded, I'm a big fan of experimenting with new things when it comes to editing. I think it keeps it fresh and fun, even if every idea isn't a winner. I got quite a laugh out of Kyle's Simpson's quote over Fallout music.

I can see where you're coming from regarding variety in the episodes. I enjoyed the "theme" thing a lot too-- and I think I'd like to keep a balance between "series" shows and "themed" shows, because I think that gives us a lot of creative freedom. And when we were planning the episode, there were a few tracks that we forgot about-- Costa Del Sol, Vennicio from Dark Cloud 2, and a few others. I'm not averse to annualizing certain topics, and I wouldn't be surprised if we do seasonal episodes once a year-- there's tons and tons of material out there, so I'm sure next year we'll be able to run another.

I like Polpota Harbor a lot too, and I agree that it definitely fits the vibe.

I'm not playing Wiz8 now, but it's something I'm very interested in trying out. I'm listening to the tracks you recommended now, and I actually think they'd fit really well for an upcoming WRPG episode we want to do. I'm going to have to pick up the game and see for myself if there's anything else fun to include.

Thanks a ton for your comment-- and no apologies necessary-- we just have a lot of fun doing this and by getting suggestions and ideas from you all, it broadens the scope of the show to include things we might not normally think to include (like Wiz8!)

Derek's shout-out count: 3

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »

All this Chrono Cross music makes me want to go play it, even though I detested it the first time I popped it into my PSX way back when because it was not Chrono Trigger...

Maybe I have matured and need to revisit this game on my Vita.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »

All this Chrono Cross music makes me want to go play it, even though I detested it the first time I popped it into my PSX way back when because it was not Chrono Trigger...

Maybe I have matured and need to revisit this game on my Vita.

I support this idea.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:33 PM »

Vanilla ice cream. Chocolate-covered peanuts. Fudge ripple. Basically a sundae on a cone. Best combination.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:07 PM »

Vanilla ice cream. Chocolate-covered peanuts. Fudge ripple. Basically a sundae on a cone. Best combination.

While I don't think I'd take it over mint chocolate chip (OMDGOISNDGOIMMONOMNOMNOMNOM), that does sound magical. I have room in my heart for both.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 11:39:41 PM »

I'm thinking double scoop - one of each. :)

They opened a Culvers near me recently, and I drop by there for a pint of frozen custard way more often than I should.  (I know that's not ice cream, but it's in the same family of desserts.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 10:57:53 AM »

mint chocolate chip ice cream is the bee's knees.

Just found out about the podcast recently or rather decided to finally give it a listen. Great podcast!! I was just really angry(not really) that there were no Breath of fire 3 tunes there because there is one particular track that screams Summer!(atleast for me). That would be To a Distant Place(the 2nd world map theme).
I think you guys should definately feature some tunes from Breath of fire 3 in one of the podcasts, I think that game has one of the most awesome soundtracks in any game. Underrated soundtrack for a criminally underrated RPG if you ask me.

I really enjoyed the summer episode and will give podcast number 2 a listen because that one seems really cool. Anyway, also great to see some love for Chrono Cross. I think the hate for that game is really idiotic and kinda dumb, I enjoyed it more than Chrono Trigger(not too much but still) for the simple fact that the game has a much deeper story and I think it took a lot of courage to follow the direction that they did with that game. In terms of soundtrack I think they are on the same degree of quality which is godlike quality but I tend to lean a little bit more the Chrono Cross soundtrack.

By the way, would visual novel songs be eligible to the podcast? I think you guys should totally do a podcast revolving around atmospheric, mysterious and sort of creepy songs. I think 999's soundtrack would fit really well there, especially songs like binary game and septenary game.

You guys should also do a podcast with dramatic and more sad songs, things like "A great warrior" and "sending a dream into the universe" from FF7, "To Zanarkand" from FF10 and "Morphogenetic sorrow" from 999 would fit really well. And of course an episode on Ys music or Falcom music!
Sorry for the long post, anyway great podcast and keep up the awesome work.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:23:05 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »

mint chocolate chip ice cream is the bee's knees.

Just found out about the podcast recently or rather decided to finally give it a listen. Great podcast!! I was just really angry(not really) that there were no Breath of fire 3 tunes there because there is one particular track that screams Summer!(atleast for me). That would be To a Distant Place(the 2nd world map theme).
I think you guys should definately feature some tunes from Breath of fire 3 in one of the podcasts, I think that game has one of the most awesome soundtracks in any game. Underrated soundtrack for a criminally underrated RPG if you ask me.

I really enjoyed the summer episode and will give podcast number 2 a listen because that one seems really cool. Anyway, also great to see some love for Chrono Cross. I think the hate for that game is really idiotic and kinda dumb, I enjoyed it more than Chrono Trigger(not too much but still) for the simple fact that the game has a much deeper story and I think it took a lot of courage to follow the direction that they did with that game. In terms of soundtrack I think they are on the same degree of quality which is godlike quality but I tend to lean a little bit more the Chrono Cross soundtrack.

By the way, would visual novel songs be eligible to the podcast? I think you guys should totally do a podcast revolving around atmospheric, mysterious and sort of creepy songs. I think 999's soundtrack would fit really well there, especially songs like binary game and septenary game.

You guys should also do a podcast with dramatic and more sad songs, things like "A great warrior" and "sending a dream into the universe" from FF7, "To Zanarkand" from FF10 and "Morphogenetic sorrow" from 999 would fit really well. And of course an episode on Ys music or Falcom music!
Sorry for the long post, anyway great podcast and keep up the awesome work.

They got Bluebird Lamentation in there as a preview track in one of the podcasts, so it's probably fair game.

Speaking of 999's soundtrack, a song on there that I never particularly cared for was the Quietus (Game Over) song.  But!  After playing VLR, the song actually tells a story with the sound effect selection in it, which blew me away.  I don't want to spoil anything,  so I'll let you guys try and figure it out. 

And Stephen, I'm struggling with Wiz 8's difficulty on novice setting, so I guess it's probably right up your ally.  It's a mammoth though, requires a lot of time.  Thanks for the great reply!

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 06:38:26 PM »

@Holykael

I'm thrilled you enjoyed the show! And sadly, some stuff does get left out (just ask Derek how often he has to tell me to trim my picks). But the benefit is that A) we'll definitely be returning to the summer topic, and B) now that you've suggested it, I'll be sure to keep an eye on BoF-series stuff. I myself have only beaten BoF1 and Dragon Quarter, and this is actually why we're such big proponents of you guys telling us what kind of stuff you'd like to hear-- because there's stuff that we might not think of, or may have never heard, so when you say "hey, BREATH OF FIRE!" we're like "oh snapu, let's include that!" In that way, too, it's fun for us, because we get to hear things we've never heard before too.

When it comes to Chrono Cross, I 100% appreciate when people tell me they didn't like it. What I don't like is when they say "It's not like Chrono Trigger so I hate it." They're very different games, but Chrono Cross is, if you ask me, a complete triumph and an awesome expansion on the plot of CT. Musically, I love 'em both, but CC edges out its big brother for me.

Visual novel songs are a yes. As Alhizzy said, we had a fantastic VLR song earlier, and I would love to include more VLR/999 in the future. (Morphogenetic Sorrow will, OF COURSE, be in the show at some point).

We'll definitely have a Falcom ep (though I'll probably have to defer to Derek on how to organize that one), and melancholy songs are another theme we've thrown around. In short, great ideas, and you'll definitely see us act on them in the future!

@Alhizzy
Yes, I agree 100% on Quietus.

Wiz8 looks like it would be up my alley-- once I clear my reviews backlog for RPGFan, I'll probably be checking it out. The fact that you guys know I love murderous difficulty tickles me greatly.

Thanks again for the responses, folks!

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2013, 06:58:46 PM »

@Taelus

Oh ye I was referring to that kind of Chrono Cross hate. I can accept legitimate and well backed dislike for the game.
Im only familiar with Breath of fire 3 and 4 myself. I want to play 1 and 2 aswell down the road. You guys should definately give the BOF3 soundtrack a listen. Some of the highlights would be "To a distant place" "technology" "fight!" "Boss battle theme" "a tribute to the dragon" "castle wyndia" and my favourite song along with to a distant place "Turning point". A really good vocal one is "Pure again"(it plays during the credits)

A battle music themed podcast should also be inevitable down the road I suppose too :D

Oh man I cant wait to get a vita to play VLR and Ys IV..999 is among my favourite games ever.

Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »

I am quite familiar with the BoF series and the Ys series, so I'd be more than happy to spearhead both of those podcasts. :D

Echoing Stephen's sentiment about appreciating your feedback. You guys rock.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »

I support any additional episodes worshiping at the Mitsuda altar and discussing ice cream flavors. Let's make it happen, people.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: