Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 03:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338598 Posts in 13860 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 15704 times)
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »

I like that when you promise shout-outs a discussion is started.

I thought this was definitely in the top 6 of all the Rhythm Encounter podcasts so far. I'm happy that I was listening to this podcast in 33 degree weather (I guess that's around 92 in Fahrenheit) under the shade of a tree, chicken wrap in one hand and iced-tea in the other after a day of child-rearing. It was relaxing and really set the tone of the whole thing. I will echo the sentiment that themes are generally stronger than focusing on a series and isolates fewer audience members. That said, I did beg for the Chrono Cross episode on Twitter as you can see I am plainly just selfish.
On the topic of the episode, Summer reminds me of RPGs in general. I mean, I never had more time than summer in highschool just to play videogames. If I were to make a selection I would have grabbed The Beach theme from Xenosaga Episode 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PtdnwvVJlY.
As a huge fan of the Xenosaga series I gotta represent; it is also the series that reminds me the most of summer since that is when I played through episodes 2 & 3. Or in the same vein of relaxing summer music I would have replaced Port City Ruan with Cat Relaxing in the Sun from Trails in the Sky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg6W2IX2DqY

Monsoon I agree we need more discussion of ice cream flavours. My favourite is Tiger Tail, the balance of licorice and orange is perfect. Though, Min Chocolate Ice Cream is the bee's knees as well.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 02:34:04 AM »

Hey, we're not above bribes. Well, I thought we were, but now that I've seen what they can get us, I'm all for it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it the most-- we've gotten a really great reception to this episode all-around, so we're definitely going to aim for more broad topics (boss themes are probably up next). If you guys come up with any creative ideas, feel free to share them. If we do a Chrono ep, it'll likely be a Chrono Trigger/Cross/Radical Dreamers one, but we'll see :)

I'm a HUGE fan of the music in XS2 and 3, and I've actually already picked a track from 3 that will appear in the next podcast :). Good choice there.

As always, it's great to hear from you guys! Keep it up! Tell friends! Spread the love! Have your favorite family member give us 5-stars on iTunes!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 04:51:48 AM »

Boss battle themes huh?
 The strongest foe(Ys oath) HAS to be there! Not to mention force your way(ff8) and awakening(xenogears). While you are at it why not Mighty obstacle from ys VI ark of napishtim.
 Boss battle theme from Breath of fire 3 aint too shabby either.

Anyway these are just some suggestions, Im sure part of dancing mad will be there so it's not even worth mentioning. Im looking forward toi the episode and Im sure you guys will pick some awesome stuff.

Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »

Other than the already-really-beloved boss battle themes (Force Your Way, Dancing Mad, Battle With Magus, etc.), one I've always found underrated is Lufia II's link to DS version's battle 2 remix. Kinda standard hard-rock-guitar stuff going on, but I really like the licks and how bright the trumpet sounds. Even in the SNES version. 

And of course they aren't RPGs, but shout-outs to Divine Combat (The Binding of Isaac) and Fast Track to Browntown (Super Meat Boy).  Love Danny Baranowsky. 

Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »

So, we decided not to include any final boss themes in this episode, just because those deserve an episode of their own (at least). I had a blast picking my tracks, and I think you guys are gonna enjoy this for sure. A few of my selections are really close to your suggestions, Holykael1 and Monsoon. :D

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2013, 11:27:06 PM »

The persona 4 boss theme and the boss theme of dark cloud 2 would be my suggestions. Dark cloud 2 soundtrack was really good in general and the boss them evokes this epic struggle feeling.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2013, 11:55:55 PM »

Should definitely include Zwei!!'s final boss theme in the final boss epsidoe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGv6S3xUYM.I'll be looking forward to your boss theme themed episode. :)

Should add Brodick's boss fight theme from Rune Factory Frontier. Plenty to extract from the piece.

Actually, you know what would be an interesting episode? Gather a bunch of tracks that use [French] Horns and what kind of characteristic/topic they are implying. Hunting? Heroic? Pastoral? Epic? Wait...are those perfect fifths I hear? Perhaps it would do best as just a side thing and not so much an episode...who knows. ;)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2013, 12:11:57 AM »

Do you, by any chance, play french horn? :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 12:17:47 AM »

Tsuyoshi Sekito cranked out some great battle themes in The Last Remnant.  The Gates of Hell was a real thrasher of a song if you want to toss up a good rock & roll boss theme.  

The game might've had its flaws, but that soundtrack was amazing.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »

Do you, by any chance, play french horn? :)

I do not sir, my instrument is actually the piano. ;)

I only mention the horn because it's a staple in some classical music to signify some of those topics. It doesn't have to be only the horn, as brass can easily fill the spot in creating those topics--or even be used together. 

Some game examples:
Rune Factory - Depature
Rune Factory Soundtrack: Track 30: I'll Go!

Also, here's a topic that would be great for October: Game music that uses the organ to signify something Evil/Demonic/Satanic. An instrument originally compared to God's voice--sometimes in conjunction with a bass singer--is as quickly used for the opposite effect. Maybe Captain Nemo was on to something when playing that sucker in Disney's 1954 film "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" ;). Here's a quick video of seeing Bach's toccata in various films over the decades (Also, yay for Bela Lugosi in "The Black Cat"). It makes you wonder what kind of values do you bring to the headphones when listening to music--especially game music. Do they shape your views of a soundtrack poorly? Do they make you interpret something a certain way (the whole hunting/pastoral topics)? Do they evoke certain sound and imagery (like relating Bach's toccata to horror topics)?

Who knows, maybe I'm spouting nonsense here? ;)

Also, please, for the love of pete, read the second top comment on the Iris boss theme vid...couldn't stop laughing (if you get the reference).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
EndofPi

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »

I recently found your podcasts by accident. I have been listening to active time babble and rpgcast from rpggamer both were lackluster for me. To be honest I do not know why I have not heard of you podcast until now, and I have looked but I am glad I have found it.

I agree with Alhizzy that it is better to do theme that way I am still interested in the podcast all the way through especially if there is a game I played so I can "be" apart of the conversation. With podcast featuring a series, it is harder for me to relate to since I never experience the game therefor I wouldn't have had any prior investment in to that episode. When there is a cluster of different game then there is a higher chance that I may have played but there is only my preference.

Some themes ideas
Ending or Opening themes
Music with particular sounds such as bells (Nocturne has one)
What may be neat is to have a game between the host. Have a song from a certain game and each of the other host may have to figure out which game or type of scenario its trying to depict.

Also this is the first time I found someone else who likes the Shadow Hearts series and Chrono Cross.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:45:06 PM by EndofPi » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »

Thanks a ton for your kind words! I'm glad you find us not lacking in luster!

Anyways, yeah, I think I enjoy the theme idea more too. I'd still like to do a couple "series" episodes, but we'll skew more towards broader themes/types of music than series in the future.

Thanks for the suggestions-- I've had a few ideas like that too. Op/End themes are definitely something we'll do, and "particular sounds" is a great idea. I like your game between the host and others, too-- I've been trying to think of something like that, so hopefully in the future we can work something like that out. It would be fun to have a segment where one of us brings a track or two and says "okay, guess the series/composer/scene this accompanies." Could be a good time!

Also this is the first time I found someone else who likes the Shadow Hearts series and Chrono Cross.

You poor thing. Let me personally welcome you into our loving fold.

EDIT:

Also, picking tracks for the new episode. I'll try to work in some of all of your suggestions (we had a fourth member of RPGFan picking tracks this time, too). I can't fit everything, but don't worry-- we'll have a volume 2 of Boss Themes :). I'm always thrilled to have you guys sending in your favorites too-- makes it "everyone's show."

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:31:37 PM by Taelus » Logged

Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 04:58:09 PM »

I don't often create an account for the sole purpose of expressing enjoyment at a thing, but I would hate to see the podcast stop due to a perceived lack of interest.

I happened to be listening to be listening to the summer podcast while playing Dark Souls - particularly while going through New Londo. The music clashed with the game so badly it actually made me laugh aloud several times.

It's always conflicting hearing something from Chrono Cross, because while I agree that the music is some of the best I've heard and the art direction is wonderful, I just dislike almost everything else about the game. I've enjoyed nearly everything I've heard by Mitsuda. Hearing the selections from Lime Odyssey was both pleasant, as I got to hear more of his work, and heartbreaking as it is a game which I will never play (for multiple reasons). Certainly it would be worth listening to the music separately, but as has been stated, it adds so much to hear it within the context of the game.

Thank you sirs for the content, I look forward to more in the future. And lest I forget: Mint chocolate chip ice-cream is the bee's knees.

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »

We've already recorded the next episode, but you will receive your shoutout. IT SHAN'T BE FORGOTTEN.

That said, I know it takes people time to make accounts and write on forums, especially if it isn't something you normally do, so I just wanted to say that we truly appreciate you doing that. There's a factoid that goes around saying that most vocal parties make up a very small portion of an audience, and that people are much more likely to speak out when they have a negative thought than a "I really enjoyed this." Therefore, I'm REALLY thrilled when I hear that someone (like yourself) went the extra mile to come in and say something nice-- though of course, am always 100% open to constructive critique, too! So, tl;dr version, thanks a ton!

We have a comment on the iTunes page stating that song editing could be better. I'd like to address that, but I'm not 100% sure what it means. Is it referring to the sometimes-abrupt transitions I do to truncate longer songs or repetitive songs? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

And even though you don't like Chrono Cross as a game, I still love you for coming in here and talking. I'm glad you liked Lime Odyssey's music too-- because it's something I will also NEVER play, but man does it sound lovely.

In any case, at risk of sounding repetitious, thank you again. I'm happy you're enjoying, and we aim to keep making the show better and better through new ideas and feedback. May you continue to enjoy me saying "UGHSDLKGH I LOVE THIS SONG" in 1.5-hour chunks.

Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »

We have a comment on the iTunes page stating that song editing could be better. I'd like to address that, but I'm not 100% sure what it means. Is it referring to the sometimes-abrupt transitions I do to truncate longer songs or repetitive songs? Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Well it certainly is true that when you shorten the songs it is really abrupt and kills the mood. I found that annoying, but not enough to comment on it. Having it brought up though, I'd like it if you handled the song transitions differently. You could choose fewer songs, which is the easiest option and wouldn't be too bad. A more professional or even just smoother transition would be nice if you know how to do that. I can do video editing, but my experience with audio editing and manipulation ended in failure so I'm not quite sure how, but if you could give it shot I would certainly be pleased.
Otherwise, I have no idea what it could be talking about. Alas, I am a simple philistine and have no knowledge of music outside of how it makes me feel.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: