Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:23:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331879 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 12914 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »

FF15 is coming out on Playstation 4 and PS1?
well now~

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 08:33:33 PM »

Well, some early feedback I had from other editors was that we should shy away from 5+ minute songs. In effort to combat that, I've taken to those abrupt transitions to cut out repetitive portions of longer songs. Would listeners not mind longer songs in between talking segments? I try to keep a general balance of time, but if people don't mind lengthier songs, that's at least one way I can sidestep the abrupt editing.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

I can only speak for myself as I've read drastically different opinions when it comes to discussing podcast length, so I will say 'Personally' once and just assume from here on out that it applies to the rest.

Personally, when taking into consideration that the podcast already runs over an hour, it seems you have a bit of room to work with, as most people are already dedicating a solid chunk of their time to it. That's not to say exceeding much over two hours would be the best idea. Still, there is the fact that it is a podcast about music, and music is certainly something which requires time. While most video game pieces do limit themselves to shorter tracks on loops, there are a few tracks which have a more dynamic nature often requiring more length, and to see them cut out for the sake of time would perhaps be limiting. While I am here equally for the music and the discussion, I would appreciate having a slightly longer podcast that gives the music... ah, how to say - a complete presentation? (my vocabulary has failed me)

These are my thoughts anyway. (have I mentioned that?)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:04:58 PM by Grainofariver » Logged

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:57 PM »

Your words do not fail you-- that's very helpful! We've discussed this a lot between ourselves, so it's helpful to hear what you listeners think. Generally, I cut all songs down to one loop, but with longer tracks I think it WILL be good to let them breathe. I'm going to be editing our new episode tonight and tomorrow, so I'll keep your suggestions in mind. WE WILL MAKE THIS THE GREATEST MUSIC SHOW EVER.

And I think you're right on the money about the length-- if we were a more compact format, I'd hesitate, but since we're already going for the 'big episodes' duration, I think it IS good to give the music enough room to breathe.

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »

Yes. I agree with this. There are tracks that I'd like to keep listening to only to find out they've been cut short.

I'll +1 the more of the track we can listen to, the better it is!

Keep it up guys, you're doing fantastic work. To be honest, next to the cult of mac podcast, this is the one i look forward to the most.
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 02:39:50 PM »

Yes. I agree with this. There are tracks that I'd like to keep listening to only to find out they've been cut short.

I'll +1 the more of the track we can listen to, the better it is!

Keep it up guys, you're doing fantastic work. To be honest, next to the cult of mac podcast, this is the one i look forward to the most.

These words please me greatly. GREATLY.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 04:11:35 AM »

Okay guys-- a new episode is coming in the next couple of days (got busy/lazy with editing). In the meantime, if you were going to pick a favorite song from a WESTERN RPG (that's anything designed and composed primarily by western musicians and developers) or adventure/visual novel, what would you pick?

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 06:49:17 AM »

Well.. I would pick the very cliché "Rogue Encampment" from Diablo 2.. I dont have much experience with Western RPG's aside from the blizzard titles so Im a little bit limited on that.

Guys, the wait is killing me! Release the podcast at once xD

Edit: I would totally be up for full length songs btw!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:51:09 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 08:22:14 AM »

I really like the ost for Divine Divinity

Divine Divinity - Song of the Wind
Divine Divinity - Stones and Trees
Divine Divinity - The Four Season's Changing

Morrowind is full of great music but the main theme always gets me.

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind: Main Theme

Edit: For favourite I would pick the Morrowind Theme although it is in large part due to it evoking memories of playing the game.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:49:57 AM by Darilon » Logged

_Vandalier_

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »

I really like the ost for Divine Divinity

Divine Divinity - Song of the Wind
Divine Divinity - Stones and Trees
Divine Divinity - The Four Season's Changing

Morrowind is full of great music but the main theme always gets me.

The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind: Main Theme

Edit: For favourite I would pick the Morrowind Theme although it is in large part due to it evoking memories of playing the game.

I agree completely, that Morrowind themes evokes a lot of memories from me as well.

If I had to just pick one at random it would be the theme to the original Dungeon Siege

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7aYfjE8h48

~My name is... Odd Creature... No, that's not it! It's Roger Bacon! Master philosopher, alchemist, and eternal love child.~
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 04:01:21 PM »

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming! I'm trying to compile a giant list. I already have a big chunk of games I want to include, too.

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »

Not featured in the game, but this song from the witcher soundtrack amused me greatly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmAxGaAajaI
to be serious the only thing that really springs to mind are the really obvious picks like the mass effect galaxy map song and whatever played during the dream sequence in mass effect 3. The music in western rpgs tends to not stick out that clearly to me while I'm playing, so I'm looking forward to the podcast to see how the music holds up outside of the context of the games.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »

Let's go back in time for some Western RPGs, because I cant think of anything aside from what's already been mentioned.

How about some of the music from Ultima?

Path of the Avatar (also known as Stones) pretty sums much my childhood spent playing the various Ultimas (at least up to 7...everything past that was rubbish) on my 486.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2013, 11:57:28 PM »

Jeremy Soule before he was THE Jeremy Soule. I give you Secret of Evermore Introduction. Yes, it's part of a playlist, but that soundtrack has some real gems. It is more JRPG-ish than his later work, but you can really look at this game as his roots.
I also really like Fire Eyes and Pirates of Crustacia for those that aren't going to listen to the whole thing.
The Streets of Whiterun is the only song in Skyrim I remember other than the main theme. Great relaxing, but emotional tune.

I'll be back to you on other songs once I've relistened to a few soundtracks. Many WRPGs tend to have a similar vibe so I have a hard time remembering which songs I like.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 03:34:56 PM »

Okay guys-- a new episode is coming in the next couple of days (got busy/lazy with editing). In the meantime, if you were going to pick a favorite song from a WESTERN RPG (that's anything designed and composed primarily by western musicians and developers) or adventure/visual novel, what would you pick?

Oh, wait. Just realized. This should still allow for indie games, right? So my picks would be:
moongazer from To the Moon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29TX6pGEuBI
and Zulf's theme from Bastion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfUcnSbKDA

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: