Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 23, 2014, 12:14:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341357 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 16850 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2013, 07:01:13 PM »

For some reason I just read your name as unmashable potato and LOLed for like a minute. ANYWAYS. Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions for music. I started trying to implement some of it in

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1506.html THE NEW EPISODE

and will keep it in mind when we sit down to record the next edition.

And yes, this allows for western indie titles. I want to  do a more indie-specific episode at some point, but they're definitely admissible here.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2013, 06:11:24 PM »

For some reason I just read your name as unmashable potato and LOLed for like a minute. ANYWAYS. Again, thanks for the feedback and suggestions for music. I started trying to implement some of it in

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1506.html THE NEW EPISODE

and will keep it in mind when we sit down to record the next edition.

And yes, this allows for western indie titles. I want to  do a more indie-specific episode at some point, but they're definitely admissible here.

Heh. I'm not sure my actual username is that much more sensible (potatoes are awesome and yummie too, though). More of a inside joke among my friends that only I find funny.

Good episode by the way :) I really love the format of the show, and it's a neat tool for picking up on good soundtracks from games you haven't played.

I will look forward to the indie episode then. I haven't followed the indie adventure game scene that closely as I mostly game on consoles/hand-helds, but the games I've checked out so far have had surprisingly nice music. And transistor is going to be so good...

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »

Yay new episode!

Just spent the better part of the morning listening to it, as well as part of the afternoon. Pretty hefty podcast since it weighs in around 2hr.20min, like a good movie.

Not sure if it was deliberate, but the tracks felt longer in this episode, and that was good! Gave me a better idea of each song. I swear, every time you push Chrono Cross it makes me want to play it...!

Since you guys went with the boss battle theme, what about love themes that are found in RPGs? There's probably a good amount of music (whether they are quality or cheesy, I can't say) but it might serve as a good sub-section to an episode?

Also, thinking about soundtracks from games, I'm trying to think when they started becoming prevalent, at least in the western market. If memory serves me right, I want to say it was with Final Fantasy VIII. I recall my friend buying that monstrous CD collection, and going into music stores and finding piano sheet music for the soundtrack as well (or at least for "Eyes on Me"). Am I completely off base? Was it more popular than I recall? I know King's Quest VI tried (very unsuccessfully) to sort of try and push their end theme song 'Girl in the Tower' when that game came out. I am very interested in hearing what you guys think about this

Also, does anyone remember back in the PSX days, you could pop your discs into a CD player and listen to some of the tracks? Actually, now that I think about, wasn't there a music player in the system screen that you would access to manage your memory cards and such?
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 06:23:57 PM »

Yes! new episode! Im going to listen to it. Will leave some feedback tomorrow!

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2013, 07:07:10 PM »

Also, thinking about soundtracks from games, I'm trying to think when they started becoming prevalent, at least in the western market. If memory serves me right, I want to say it was with Final Fantasy VIII. I recall my friend buying that monstrous CD collection, and going into music stores and finding piano sheet music for the soundtrack as well (or at least for "Eyes on Me"). Am I completely off base? Was it more popular than I recall? I know King's Quest VI tried (very unsuccessfully) to sort of try and push their end theme song 'Girl in the Tower' when that game came out. I am very interested in hearing what you guys think about this

Also, does anyone remember back in the PSX days, you could pop your discs into a CD player and listen to some of the tracks? Actually, now that I think about, wasn't there a music player in the system screen that you would access to manage your memory cards and such?

How funny that you should mention Girl in the Tower. Wink.

And yeah-- that was a feature called redbook audio, and some games did it while others didn't. Early Falcom disc-games did-- and it was quite neat! PSX had a music player, but it was just to play CD-based music, it didn't specifically give you access to music from the games.

Thanks very much for the feedback, everyone! This episode ended up being longer than we expected, but I figured, as you all said, we're already a heftier show than your average 1 hour podcast (which, personally, I don't mind), so we gave it a little room to breathe.

The indie adventure scene DOES have some fantasticm usic. Check out Austin Haynes' score for Cognition (like the song Life or Death from episode 3). I'm glad you enjoy the format-- what you state was ACTUALLY one of our major goals for the show-- to introduce people to music they might not have heard and some discussion of it.

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2013, 08:41:31 PM »

I mean, Girl in the Tower....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69M2iiI__XQ

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »

I mean, Girl in the Tower....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69M2iiI__XQ

*cough*ontheplaylistforhtenextepisode*cough*

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2013, 02:10:45 AM »

yeup, you interpreted my username correctly, have a cookie. Would recommend ME3's An End, Once and for All for an ep sometimes down the line, really liked that song and Bioware released an extended version for N7 fan day some time ago. And I agree with whoever said that FF8 didn't really have that memorable a soundtrack. My only regret is no Battle on the Big Bridge. Keep up the good work people.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »

Amazing episode guys!
I really enjoyed the editing in this one and the little chrono trigger transition from past to future!
Some awesome picks there, I am really happy to see a lot of Ys, especially Ys Seven and Ys origin getting represented since those are my favourites in the series. I understand that the music of Ys on it's own is really good but it doesnt really have that big of a impact without context. However if you have memories to attach to ys music it's some of the best in any video game imo.

Omg.. the chrono cross Miguel boss theme, great pick. I played chrono cross in the beginning of the year for the first time right after beating chrono trigger and damn, that moment was really ballsy of them and that kind of storyline approach is what puts chrono cross in a whole other level of pedigree, superior to chrono trigger in almost every aspect in my eyes(even if comparable in some aspects like the batte system and soundtrack)!

Currently I am playing through Xenosaga episode 1, so also really happy to see one pick from the series. That game is like everything I could ever ask for in an rpg. A convoluted, interesting, intriguing and epic narrative. A fairly good soundtrack( I am only 6 hours in and there hasnt been a song yet that really blew me away yet) and a fantastic battle system. It seems to have the potential of being better than xenogears but it's too early to tell, minus in the soundtrack department because xenogear's is one of the best of Mitsuda's works tbh.

I suppose the next episode will be very western rpg heavy since you are asking for suggestions on that, right?

Also it was really cool of you to include some of the audience's picks! Overall the best episode of the podcast yet although the summer episode is also really up there. I would totally be up for an episode dedicated to Chrono Cross or have a song from it in every podcast XD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:38:08 AM by Holykael1 » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2013, 05:57:12 AM »

yeup, you interpreted my username correctly, have a cookie. Would recommend ME3's An End, Once and for All for an ep sometimes down the line, really liked that song and Bioware released an extended version for N7 fan day some time ago. And I agree with whoever said that FF8 didn't really have that memorable a soundtrack. My only regret is no Battle on the Big Bridge. Keep up the good work people.

I do like cookies. And An End Once and For All will absolutely be part of the western RPG episode. I adore that song-- especially for the extended version. I personally like FF8's OST a lot, but I can see why some people might not be as down with it. And don't worry about ol' Girugameshu's battle theme: we'll have plenty of chances to play Big Bridge in the future. (Trivia, original we were thinking of calling this episode something like "Big Bridge.")

Kael,
Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed it! I always want us to improve. We realized after we recorded the second half that we had made references to E3 and the time, haha-- so we had to include SOMETHING to be like 'yes this is why we have traveled through time.'

I love the Miguel boss theme. I love CT and CC both quite a bit, and it's hard for me to choose a favorite. I'm with you though, that that moment was ballsy of them and really adventurous from a storytelling standpoint. I can see why some don't like it, what with expectations and all, but I thought they knocked it out of the park.

Actually, Xenosaga episode 1 is Mitsuda, but 2 and 3 are composed by Yuki Kajiura and Shinji Hosoe (of 999/VLR fame, among many others). I actually find ep2/3's music to be BETTER than the Mitsuda stuff from the first episode. Xenogears is a lofty album to beat out in Mitsuda's catalog. One Who Bares Fangs at God is basically one of the greatest and most stirring final boss themes ever.

The next episode is (probably) going to be western game-focused, because we want to make sure people realize that there IS great western music out there, it's perhaps just not as prolific (owing mostly to how music is used in western games versus Japanese games). We'll be including adventure games as well (games like King's Quest, Chains of Satinav, Cognition) and some western indie titles, too (though we want to do an indie episode too).

Glad you enjoyed the audience picks-- that's something I'd love to do in every episode. I think it helps make it "everyone's show," and is our way of thanking you guys for contributing to the discussion here. It also gets some picks in that we otherwise might not have included and challenges us to change up what we're talking about.

And yes, I would be up for a Chrono Cross episode, too. And Rob. Mmm... Chrono Cross. On the flip side, if we did that, we wouldn't be able to save up any CC music for OTHER episodes. :).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:59:28 AM by Taelus » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2013, 07:31:25 AM »

Really enjoyed the episode. I am glad you guys added in Shadow Hearts: From the New World. The soundtrack seems to be often overlooked due to the dislike people have for the game itself. Loved the conversation about Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross as well as about I'll Face Myself.

I personally like FF8's OST a lot, but I can see why some people might not be as down with it.

I agree with you about the soundtrack to FFVIII. I was not a huge fan of the game that much until a recent playthrough where I began appreciating it a lot more, especially the soundtrack.

Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »

After taking three days to listen to it, I can properly say that this was a fantastic episode. Likely I could write an essay (perhaps even essays) on thoughts regarding these songs, as I recognize many of them and the moments surrounding them stick out in memory. Instead, super fast summary time of a few select tracks because nobody likes a wall of text, much less several of them.

Anything by Shoji Meguro - Thank you, I need to replay about 4 games now... I enjoy the uniqueness offered by Meguro's work, yet what I've heard remains diverse enough that I will never be unable tell apart a Persona 3 track from say, Nocturne.
Prisoners of Fate - I swear I've heard this somewhere before, but either way Mitsuda is amazing and I still wish Chrono Cross didn't have the issues it did (would love to discuss that, but this is a place for music discussions, and the music is fantastic)
Ornstein and Smough - I would have recommended Gwyn's music earlier if it hadn't already been said that final boss themes aren't applicable. Good follow up choice, hearing that DaS was done by Sakuraba was a shock, especially as a fan of the Tales games.

Boss music is always interesting, and I often wonder how it must feel from the point of view of a composer. So often I find boss themes grand or epic (forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to music terminology), but truly having it fit within the situation provides the most memorable effect. For example, the melancholy nature of Prisoners of Fate works with the situation, creating an experience that sticks to the mind. Similarly, while Magus' Theme is probably my favourite boss theme, everything that came about before it helped set it up. Would the situation be nearly as memorable without the flames, the tower, the quest for the Masamune, etc. before hand? That the music fit with the situation so well made that entire sequence absolutely stapled in my mind as a defining moment of my childhood gaming. (I just noticed that the two tracks I chose as examples are both by Mitsuda - no, I do not fanboy, thank you very much)

Great episode, and I enjoyed the changes. Looking forward to the next. As a closing note, that transition caught me entirely off guard. During the time I was listening to the podcast, playing a game and holding two conversations. Upon hearing the sound of the opening gate from CT the oddness of it brought everything to a crash as my mind froze. I would equate it to juggling five balls at once and one of them suddenly catching fire.

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2013, 03:49:30 PM »

The next episode is (probably) going to be western game-focused, because we want to make sure people realize that there IS great western music out there, it's perhaps just not as prolific (owing mostly to how music is used in western games versus Japanese games). We'll be including adventure games as well (games like King's Quest, Chains of Satinav, Cognition) and some western indie titles, too (though we want to do an indie episode too).

Glad you enjoyed the audience picks-- that's something I'd love to do in every episode. I think it helps make it "everyone's show," and is our way of thanking you guys for contributing to the discussion here. It also gets some picks in that we otherwise might not have included and challenges us to change up what we're talking about.

And yes, I would be up for a Chrono Cross episode, too. And Rob. Mmm... Chrono Cross. On the flip side, if we did that, we wouldn't be able to save up any CC music for OTHER episodes. :).

Looking forward to the next episode. Expecting (hoping) for some Witcher-tunes in there ;)
Chrono cross episode sounds so good. you know you want to do it...

on the topic of boss songs:
the worst boss music I can remember hearing: Melt Down from Shadow Hearts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uABux-MDdJ8
A really long gruelling fight for me, especially since everytime the boss would use a powerful attack the controller would start vibrating constantly until he used it again. In a game were you actually have to focus on getting the timing right that was incredibly distracting. I also couldn't turn the music off because I had become so accustomed to the sound when you hit the right section of the judgement ring, and it really put me off when I couldn't hear it. 20 minutes of that song on loop. *shudder*. The rest of the soundtrack is really good though
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »

The Kingdom Hearts music you played made me think of the end credits song from Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWbCZmYXvU

Jump to 48 seconds to hear the violin that specifically connected the two in my mind. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2013, 10:27:04 PM »

So I came up with a few suggestions for the podcast during a boring trip. If a Chrono Cross episode couldnt be made. Why not make an episode dedicated to specific composers like Yasunori Mitsuda, Nobuo Uematsu, Meguro and such just to name a few. I also came up with this as an excuse to have some Xenogears goodness on the podcast XD.

In terms of overall themes it would also be really awesome to see an opening themes based podcast someday, I suppose you guys already had this idea so I think this is a completely useless an unecessary suggestion but on the off chance that you didnt, here it is anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: