Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338627 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 15727 times)
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »

I may be a bit late on the Western music suggestions, but I wanted to throw out a couple of other non-Jeremy Soule suggestions from the Might and Magic series, which is a series so near and dear to me.  Paul Romero really did a great job on those soundtracks, although it's sort of difficult to pick out 1 or 2 themes that stand out as super awesome.  Here's a few songs that I think are pretty good.

M&M7 Intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC2cfeR1f74

Hub City theme from M&M8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VheGsu202s

Haven Battle from HOMM5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-RNoAAT6sk

Liked the last episode by the way, completely forgot that Dark Souls does actually have some good music in it (was too busy trying to not die to appreciate it).

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
EndofPi

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »

Sadly the only western music I can think of is from costume quest random enough. But I really enjoyed the boss theme episode. Also, I am really digging the music to muramasa, anyone else listening to it?

Ps instead of some good songs how about some of the worse such as the red chocobo somg from final fantasy x 13-2
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »

After what felt like an eternity I finally bought new earphones giving me the ability to access this lovely podcast. I really enjoyed it. The length was perfect and I appreciated the new editing choices, it gave the whole thing breathing room and of course more time to listen to awesome music. The topic of course makes the whole thing totally unfair since Boss Songs are extremely memorable and many of the best RPG composers (Uematsu, Shimomura, Meguro) do their best work on them IMO. I'm always pleased with the inclusion of Xeno music and Fatal Fight is one of the best. My only criticism was despite how much I like the Falcom JDK Band Derek could have picked a larger variety of songs - although it did remind me that I have to play Ys Origin, I've yet to do it and that song was so good.
Anyway, I can't wait for the related episodes like Boss Music Part 2, Final Boss Music and Regular Battle Music which might be my most anticipated one. Keep up the good work, you continue to put out good podcasts I'll keep on listening.
Since I don't see a thread for it- Good going on the OCRemix live-chat. I didn't see it all, but I liked what I saw and you get additional props for getting the interview so close the the excellent albums release. This was probably OCRemix's best and most cohesive album so I'm having a hard time picking a favourite (or even top 5).

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »

Finally got around to the new episode.  Fantastic work!  My only regret is putting forth a second Lufia II song when I could have shown off Skies of Arcadia's dynamic battle themes or something from Tenpei Sato.  Still a solid ep!

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »

I'm a bit busy, but I wanted to say really quick-- thanks for the great response, everyone! I'll have more detailed stuff to say when I'm not editing a special episode that may or may not be out today *cough* ;)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2013, 04:36:09 PM »

I have a few more minutes left in the Special Episode to listen to, (will finish on the way home) but that opening track...Good Lord!

Aivi Tran is super talented, and the podcast just keeps getting better and better. I know I'll be getting Soul Saga. If there was ever a game that made me want to play based on the music (The songs from Chrono Cross is pushing me in that direction) Soul Saga probably tops the list.

Also, this show needs more FFT/Ivalice tracks, but I suppose that's for another day haha!
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

I'm glad to hear that! We were also really elated to speak with Aivi, because she's both talented and a lovely person in general. In case you were wondering, we do plan on posting the interview on the main page later today or tomorrow, but the RSS feed picked it up a bit early. :)

Thank you for listening! (And re: Ivalice stuff... is a whole episode dedicated to Sakimoto not enough for you!? Haha!)

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

I'm glad to hear that! We were also really elated to speak with Aivi, because she's both talented and a lovely person in general. In case you were wondering, we do plan on posting the interview on the main page later today or tomorrow, but the RSS feed picked it up a bit early. :)

Thank you for listening! (And re: Ivalice stuff... is a whole episode dedicated to Sakimoto not enough for you!? Haha!)

More! Need more!!! haha
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

I don't know if Iji is considered an RPG as it's a metroidvania style indie shooter, but "Kinda Green" is a pretty cool song from it and I find myself just relaxing to it.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2013, 02:42:02 AM »

MEGAPOST INCOMING:

So, to each of you:

Darilon--
Glad you enjoyed the boss themes ep. I think SH:FtNW is criminally overlooked in just about every regard, and man that music is great. I also really enjoyed the conversation.

I think FF8 is a tough game to love in some regards, but musically I've always thought it was great. It went for a VERY different vibe that FF up to that point (and arguably since then), and I think that's one of its greatest strengths.
Grainofariver--
After taking over two weeks to reply, I can say that I totally appreciate your comments. I find that the more we introduce people into the show, the easier it gets to expand our voice and the things we can say. And Shoji Megur o is indeed the man, and yes Prisoners of Fate is awesome LOVE CHRONO CROSS.

Gwyn's tune is incredible, but that one will be in the final boss themes episode, never you worry ;). I was shocked when I heard that it was Sakuraba doing DaS too, but when you go back in listen, it really does make perfect sense.

I definitely think some of the memories help make a song dramatic-- and some lose some of their impact without context; that said, I actually think Magus' battle theme does a really great job of evoking its context without actually being in it.  And psh, you can't fanboy Mitsuda, he's a beautiful genius of music, it's only natural that we should all love him.

Anyways, thanks a lot for listening to the ep and for your feedback.
unmashable potato--
I've come to terms with no Chrono ep, BUT I've thought of two plans: 1) put Chrono music in every show and 2) do a show of Chrono ARRANGEMENTS, to flavor it up.

And while I think Melt Down is a pretty rough sound, I think it's sorta meant to be that way haha. It's definitely AIEIEE.
Tooker--
Yes. Also +1 for mentioning Dr. Horrible.
Holykael--
We've actually discussed doing some composer-specific eps, and I definitely think those will happen at some point. A lesser-known Mitsuda tunes show would be great. I also thing more Xenogears is good, and I assure you many of our upcoming topics will include awesomeness like One Who Bares Fangs At God, etc.

Definitely gonna be an opening themes-based ep as well. And don't worry-- whether we thought of it or not, we appreciate suggestions. Keeps 'em fresh ;)
Alhizzy--
Defintely not too late. I think you'll find yourself very pleased with the Western music ep (coming VERY soon). Thanks for the kind words about boss themes ep as well. (and yeah, oftentimes you're too busy being stabbed in the face to hear DaS music)
EndofPi--
YOUR NAME DEFIES REALITY. Anyways-- glad you enjoyed the boss themes ep. And I'm playing Muramasa for review, and it has incredible music. Definitely something I'm going to point out in the future. Like THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2XZ7dvsAE (visual spoilers of the third boss in Kisuke's campaign).

As for the WORST music-- while I think that's subjective, I'm sure you might see something like that... For Slash One day, perhaps.
Jotacon--
Thanks for listening man-- glad to hear the new editing style was to your liking. Boss songs are totally awesome-- and thanks for the criticism too, we always appreciate it. And yes, play YsO, it's a lot of fun.

I'm looking forward to Final Boss/Boss 2/Battle Themes music as well. We've got episodes planned out through August (and we think episode 10 is going to EXCEED your expectations), so no battle themes/final boss themes just yet-- but they're coming!

And thanks a ton for mentioning the OCR chat. I wasn't sure how many people saw it, but we had a blast doing it, so I was pleased. And yeah, I think it was one of their best albums, too. FISTFUL OF NICKELS!
Monsoon--
Thanks man! And hey, Skies will get more love. Don't you worry. And with all the new Disgaea stuff (among others) coming, we'll definitely have more Tenpei on. We need to get Neal on the show some time, because he's a big Tenpei fan, if I recall.
ultra--
YOU GUYS ARE SNEAKY AND FOUND IT BEFORE I POSTED IT OFFICIALLY. BUT. Yeah, Aivi is amazing. I'm not ashamed to say I've backed both Cryamore and Soul Saga just for the music (though I do think the games look good too!). ANNNND PLAY CHRONO CROSS asdlgj. Also, I'm totally stoked that you think the show is getting "better and better." Music to my ears (ha ha).

Also WTFUX we gave you a whole show of FFT/Ivalice ;). Although I'm sure more will be coming. There were tons we cut from the Ivalice ep.
Derek--
I LOVE YOU
kof--
I don't think we cover Iji, but damn this song is cool. Thanks for sharing it. I might need to pick up this game. Incidentally, while we've got a whole world of RPG/adventure/visual novel music to cover, I sure would love to be able to cover EVERYTHING. Maybe someday ;).

EDIT: LMAO. I go "man all this Iji music is great, I wonder who it's by" and of course, HyperDuck. These guys are genius and I keep discovering they do EVERYTHING. Anyways, I sure hope THOSE lovely folks end up on Rhythm Encounter very soon *cough.*

*EXHALE*

Okay off to write reviews and plot our next episode (which should be in your hands within a week or two ;) ). Thanks again to every single one of you for listening and contributing to the discussion. Derek and I want this to be everyone's show, and we're totally stoked that so many of you seem to be entering the conversation and loving on some music with us. Kudos. FAREWELL TO YOU ALL
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:49:25 AM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2013, 12:53:56 PM »

For western RPG music, I guess the Deus Ex main theme "Icarus" would be cool if you consider that game western. For final boss music the most memorable one in recent memory is probably the final battle in Persona 3. Oh yeah, Iji is a completely free game, I don't think it took more than a few hours to beat.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2013, 03:29:46 PM »

Really liked the interview. Climb, lest I fall is fucking awesome. Never heard it before and even not knowing the context it was great. Home above the clouds and Lonely rolling star are also awesome.

Great show and thanks for further expanding my taste in music. That is one of the things I love about this podcast. It introduces me to great music I may have otherwise missed.

Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2013, 05:15:47 PM »

KOF: I looooooove The Battle For Everyone's Souls. It's one of the greatest final boss themes ever made, in my opinion. Good choice!

Darilon: We really appreciate that! Getting people to listen to new/awesome music is one of our primary goals, and Aivi is definitely someone to follow. I first heard about her via the Kickstarter for Cryamore, and I like her music so much at this point that I'm willing to throw money at any project she contributes to. Haha!

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2013, 11:21:33 PM »

Excellent interview guys! You sure did handle that quite elegantly. ;)

I enjoyed Miss. Aivi Tran's personal description of "Corridors of Time" very much.

I believe what I enjoyed most about this interview is Aivi treating music with one's own narrative when performing/composing. A personal anecdote in regards to performance:

One of my piano pieces I was required to learn on piano was Chopin's prelude in E minor. I had the notes down, but my issue was creating tension and release towards the end of the piece at that mighty climax. My piano teach told me she saw the piano piece as two persons arguing with each other, raising in tension in dialogue until the climax, where the other person gives up and has to cope that things probably are never going to change, but remain as they are--leaving a very bitter ending. My interpretation was a bit more gloomier, as I narrated it as someone sinking to the bottom of a deep, deep ocean, trying to swim to the surface, only to drown at the climax and sink to the ocean's depth for the remainder of the piece, fading away into the darkness of the ocean's depth.

Then there's Satie. ;)

(I jest)

What made me think of it as a sinking, drowning episode is the descent of the chords in the left hand, as you'll notice in the video, especially in the last chords.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »

Yeah I know we got a whole episode...I'm just greedy and biased that way lol.

Good stuff guys, keep it up!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: