Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 11:50:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327302 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 9995 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »

SOMETHING APPROACHES

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:01 PM »

Part 1: Kyle had the best picks overall.

Part 2: That Valdis Story song was incredible. How did I not know about this game?

Part 3: I played Kings Quest (I believe 4-6) when I was younger and all of my memories are either laughing at funny descriptions or getting frustrated at puzzles. I had no memory of the music and Princess Casima's theme is super good.

Part 4: No dissing Phil Collins. He was part of Genesis at their prime, a little while ago I posted A trick of the Tail in the Song of the moment thread. The whole album is great.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »

Awesome to get another episode after a while. As always, keep up the superb work guys!

Also, YES! GIRL IN THE TOWER hahaha.

With regards to King's Quest, I think I have to agree, I sort of prefer this series because it defined my childhood in terms of computer gaming. In someways I prefer them to the LucasArts Adventures. That being said, I need to play through 5 and 6 again, since those are by far my favourites. I too must have beaten 6 every which way.  I knew couldn't have been the only one who obsessed over trying to figure out the minute details of the puzzles.

The CD version of KQVI had a special feature video that described the making of KQVI, and I think they showed this music video in it. Too bad the song never took off hahaha.

I remember thinking at the time even though I was what...11/12? that the Girl in the Tower song was very apropos in terms of it's soft rock/ballad sound considering songs that came out for movies like Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Disney's the Three Musketeers with the same sort of soft rock/ballad song done by Bryan Adams...or is that just me? I mean I always thought it fit in nicely with that historical fiction genre type of movie/game soundtrack music.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:25:28 PM by ultra7k » Logged
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »

That Valdis Story song was pretty cool, watched the movie on the kickstarter page, and the game looks like a must have for me... love the metroidvania formula.

To quote John from a recent podcast, "I HAVE A PENIS!", so I'm not your girl Derek :P   
Chris would've been my pick for the strong female characters feature thing though back in the day, I think she's one of the best developed characters in the Suikoden series.

In terms of future suggestions, I'd really like to hear your guys' thoughts on Key Plus Words from the Persona 4 Animation.  I think that's my favorite song in the series, which really says a lot since those games got some crazy awesome music.  Thrilled about the idea of an intro themes show, I already know what some of those picks will be!  <cough>..Time's...<cough>...Scar

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »

Omg im so hyped for the upcoming rythm encounter. An entire episode with Ys Music...Awesome.
On another note, I managed to listen to the western rpg episode recently, I was really surprised with the quality of say the witcher songs(Ye I havent had a chance to play them yet). Some good stuff I had no idea about but still in terms of pure musical content it's my least favourite(It was still fantastic dont get me wrong)

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2013, 02:21:37 PM »

Jotacon:

NO I HAD THE BEST PICKS IT WAS ME

AND KQ is amazing. And I also kinda like Phl Collins.

ultra:

Yes to everything you said. And thanks for the compliments!

Alhizzy:
Yeah, same here. Loved the Valdis Story demo and OST. The composer is a super nice guy, he heard about the music show and listened and had good things to say. Anyone that can spare two hours for the show is awesome in my book ;)

And I will have to check out that song. I've seen the P4 animation, but I don't remember the song. I think an intro theme should would be fantastic and... scarring of my time.

holykael:
Just remember-- it's not a Ys episode, it's a Falcom one :) But you won't be disappointed. There's some Ys in there, for your Ysy listening pleasure. And thanks for listening-- I definitely think western music can (in some cases) be a different beast, but we definitely wanted to make sure everyone saw that there's some great stuff in there that is unlike what you hear in Japanese-styled games. Also I adore Witcher music. Check out The Path of the Kingslayer and Howl of the White Wolf from TW2. Fantastic music.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »

Falcom is awesome overall, I dont mind.
All Falcom music has a very characteristic feel, from Ys or not Im sure it will rock!

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2013, 04:54:51 PM »

Falcom is awesome overall, I dont mind.
All Falcom music has a very characteristic feel, from Ys or not Im sure it will rock!

You are correct. ;)

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2013, 09:55:30 PM »

We promised the music show today.

I am breaking that promise, because I hate words.

Not true, but expect it on Friday/Saturday, instead. I've been quite busy with some things, and I don't want the editing to suffer. Rest assured, this will be our biggest and possibly best (if you love Falcom, that is) show yet.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »

Really liked the episode. I love Deionarra's Theme from Planescape Torment. I am a bit ashamed that out of an episode dedicated to western rpgs, my favourite song played was the Tina/Terra theme.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »

In all honesty, that cover of Terra's theme was amazing. So FEEL NO SHAME.

And of course, thanks for listening! Glad you enjoyed it! We're hoping to have the next one out tonight or tomorrow-- but DEFINITELY by Monday.

It is the literal opposite of a western theme show, which tickles me.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2013, 12:02:12 AM »

laboring on labor day. if it's super eastern music you're after, Yoko Shimomura has that song from live a live(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RATIJTenY8g). Or maybe that's cause the section of the gamehas you training kung fu on the top of a mountain. Also can't decide if the world map theme from Ni no Kuni is that eastern.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Cetra Blues
Booze-consuming Android

"Se taire...pleaze, shut up..."

CetraBlues
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2013, 04:45:36 AM »

WARNING: TL:DR POST INCOMING

So I am a terrible fan and let a number of episodes slip by me... but then I woke up today, said "F@*% THAT!" and played a game of catch up. So here are my poorly-organized thoughts on the episodes I've missed out on 'til now!

Episode 5 - Ormond Alliance

I listened to this one back when it was recorded in May, so it's not quite as fresh in my mind. Still, it was really interesting to get a musician's insight on these tracks. Casey was awesome to hear on the show (I really like his accent ︶▽︶). Also, I agree completely with Stephen that when I think of Tactics, I think of Trisection. What a powerful song. It definitely engraved itself in my mind as the 'unofficial theme' of Tactics.

I really need to go back and finish Vagrant Story. All I remember from that game is the first dungeon (and thus, I freaking love Catacombs. Used to turn on the game and put Ashley somewhere safe just so I could listen to it while drawing or doing homework). 

Episode 6 - Summer Chill

Strange that town themes are what usually give us that summer vibe, but I guess that's just how it is, huh? So glad Besaid Island was chosen, that song really gives me the warm fuzzies (no pun intended). Such good memories and yes, it definitely conjures images of summer in my mind without fail.

Stephen once again restores my faith in humanity by demonstrating his love for Chrono Cross. Good god, I love that game and I CAN'T AGREE MORE - it really is the 'summer of RPG's'. So many beautiful sunny/ocean-y locations to be found throughout El Nido. The soundtrack and visuals of the game compliment each other perfectly.

My favorite discovery in this episode has to be The Island Left Behind. It just feels so springy, airy and carefree. Perfectly fitting for the episode's theme but more than that, it's just... I don't know! It put me in a really good mood. If this track is an example of the greatness of Nayuta no Kiseki's soundtrack, I think I may have to hear more.

Oh, and I'm super stoked you guys got a chance to bring up that goofy ass song from Resident Evil DX. I was seriously laughing to myself. 

Episode 7 - Don't Tease the Octopus!

Man, what an awesome one this turned out to be. Great picks overall. I can't say enough how much I share your guys' enthusiasm for boss fights; more often than not, they're the highlight on many a soundtrack and the choices presented here showcased some of the best boss tunes in gaming.

Also, once again mad props to Stephen for hardcore repping Chrono Cross. Because seriously, if you don't like that game (or at the very least, its soundtrack), you are wrong. If I should ever get the opportunity, let me buy you a beer, dude.

I'm sad to say that while I haven't played any of its games, the Ys tracks really stood out to me, holy $@&*ing balls. Right after listening to this episode I immediately had to go and download them. Sorry Rob & Stephen, but Vacant Interference is the mad notes. So, so good!

Finally, Rob's choice to conclude this episode was great. Love me some FF7 and I agree that when looked at closer, Jenova really is a terrifying enemy. The final encounter with her really exemplified this.

Episode 8 - An Evening with Aivi

It's so cool you guys can get such awesome talent on the show! I wasn't familiar with Aivi Tran before but I feel like now that's about to change. On top of sounding adorable (and modest!), she really seems passionate and enthusiastic about what she does. Even better that some of her earlier influences/motivations include Koji Kondo and Bomberman 64 (really, I was sold after her story about obtaining the soundfont)!

Lonely Rolling Star is definitely my favorite Katamari song, so hearing her take on it was a real treat. Wonderful stuff!

Oh, and Aivi, if you should happen to start writing death metal... I'll be the first in line to hear it.

Episode 9 - Wild Wild West

♪HERE IN THE TOWWW-EERRRR♪

Gotta' be honest, I was iffy going into this episode because, yeah, JRPG's are my comfort zone. To be honest, I haven't really played a western RPG (at least, not to completion)... so I wasn't expecting much. Imagine my surprise, then, that a number of these tracks really impressed me. My faves have to be Puppet Show, Life and Death (Main Theme) and Witendon. My attraction to these songs, I think, is due to what they all share in common- each of them seem to possess this enigmatic beauty to them. I think Kyle described Witendon as making him feel slightly melancholy and whimsical and that's more or less how I felt when listening to it. All of them were great, slightly unsettling tunes that I had to give another listen to.

Stephen's story about his father and King's Quest gave me a nerdy sense of happiness. Little things like that are always such a joy to hear and relate to on the show.

Also Derek, if you had told me one of our parks were built by Nickelodeon as a kid, I probably would have believed you!

Anyway, one thing that never seems to change is the easy-going vibe I get when listening to you guys. It's seriously like I can picture you just sitting on a couch on a Saturday night, just picking out these songs, giving 'em a listen and then talking them over. Whether you share similar opinions or disagree with one another, it always remains laid-back and fun. I'm not gonna' lie, I'm jealous! Rhythm Encounter seems like a blast to record. =) Keep up the honkin' good work, fellas.

(Oh, and if we can't get a full Chrono Cross episode, how about one that explores all three games in the series? Trigger, Radical Dreamers and Cross? Yeah? Yeeaaahh? ;D)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:52:36 AM by Cetra Blues » Logged
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »

Blues,

Wow. So many detailed comments... I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see them. My replies will be far less descriptive, but:

5 - Yes, Casey is both smart and sexy. Err, what? Seriously, though, Ivalice has so much richness in its musical score and history. I can't get enough of that world. I'm surprised you feel so favorably after your experiences with ass-kicking chocobos... ;D

6 - Yay for Chrono Cross, and I'm super glad you liked the track from Nayuta no Kiseki. We're actually playing another track from it on the next episode, too!

7 - This episode was a blast. Vacant Interference is, in fact, the bee's knees (almost as much as Mint Chocolate Chip). I got so include so many Falcom tracks, haha. But not as many as the upcoming episode...!

8 - Aivi's humility really is endearing, isn't it? Speaking with her was such a joy.

9 - I, too, was a bit apprehensive going into this episode, but there really are many great examples of WRPG music-- you just have to dig a little for them.

Thank you so much for listening! 次のエピソド、お楽しみに!

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2013, 05:08:28 PM »

And if you liked the Aivi interview, we have another interview coming soon that might just quack you up.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: