Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 289044 times)

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« Reply #330 on: February 17, 2016, 03:26:55 PM »
In case anyone has not seen the Strong Bad in question, or (like me) just needs to see it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KqF9G_DQls

Challenge and fighting and fighting and challenge toniiiight....
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
óKurt Vonnegut

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 17, 2016, 05:01:38 PM »
Arvis, I think you'll like my track samples from Shining Resonance on my favorites page in MOTY: Marcos' Favorites. "Kirisaku Ongeki" perhaps is a track that works better in context. It's played, I believe, when you encounter a group of enemies/stronger enemas/or something of that nature. I watched about 2-3 hours of gamplay of this game on Youtube and finally found it. It really works well in its situation, so maybe you would get the full effect in game...if we ever get the game. I own the soundtrack and really like this soundtrack. I was a little nervous I wasn't because it was a very blind purchase (Usually I look for tracks, but there were only vocal tracks and the battle tracks on youtube). However, once I gave it a listen through, I fell in love with it. Definitely one of my favorites for 2015.

"Battle of Tribulations," or more so the whole soundtrack, might be a hit or miss for many people. It was a hit for me because I'm generally open to new ideas and themes for games. However, I did come in with some expectations that I wanted it to me, but it didn't hit those expectations. that's okay, because I enjoyed it for what it was and look forward to playing End Layer! :)

In regards to "Mira" from Xenoblade--GREAT MUSIC, RIGHT?! :)

I am a huge fan of Iwadare!!  The soundtrack to Eternal Blue was his best work IMO.  It expanded on the adventurous tone that was set in the Silver Star and cranked it up to 11!  Everytime I hear the main theme, I get chills.  And as I stated earlier, Field to Tomorrow is one of the best field themes.  I used to just sit and let it play over and over.  The entire Lunar series' music is amazing. 

It really is hard to not love most of his music as Grandia and the Ace Attorney series all have very fitting music for their settings.  Also, while I've never played the Langrisser series before, I might have to pull a Meyerink and purchase Re:Incarnation just to hear his music again!

I've yet to listen to Eternal Blue's full soundtrack, so I'm expecting high things from that praise your giving it. ;) Lol, I expect it's great, because I adore the Grandia series music, Radiata Stories, and Ace Attorney series music. Langrisser is on my listening docket, so I'll eventually get to that. I keep hearing great things, so it must be wonderful! :)

I TOTALLY FORGOT that MOTY was coming soon, so I should at least get a couple songs posted here if it's not too late (which admittedly it very well MIGHT be!).

Tales of Zestiria - New Power Awakens by Go Shiina

God Eater 2 - Beasts of the Wilderness also by Go Shiina (I don't think you guys cover this game, but EH)

Legend of Legacy - Fighting the Unknown by Masashi Hamauzu

Xenoblade Chronicles X - So nah, so fern and Wir fliegen by Hiroyuki Sawano

Daigyakuten Saiban (The Great Ace Attorney) - Naruhodo Ryuunosuke ~ Objection! 2015 by Yasumasa Kitagawa

Undertale - Bergentr√ɬľckung/ASGORE and Waterfall by Toby Fox

Haha, Arklight, please check out my favorites page for MOTY 2016. I think you will be please with three of my choices. ;)

In case anyone has not seen the Strong Bad in question, or (like me) just needs to see it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KqF9G_DQls

Challenge and fighting and fighting and challenge toniiiight....

Bless you, Tooker. It's always great to relive classics. ;)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 17, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
stronger enemas

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  >________>

In all seriousness, thanks for the response.  I need to remember to check out the MOTY feature and listen to everything there after I listen to Second Movement.

Also, I spent a good 5 seconds of the First Movement wondering how your Tellah avatar was supposed to be a hot dog.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Wild Armor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 17, 2016, 07:59:01 PM »
stronger enemas

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  >________>

In all seriousness, thanks for the response.  I need to remember to check out the MOTY feature and listen to everything there after I listen to Second Movement.

Also, I spent a good 5 seconds of the First Movement wondering how your Tellah avatar was supposed to be a hot dog.

Hey, enemas were very potent in Mel Brooks "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" ;)
(Hahaha. Spell check was very wrathful today, lol.)

Also, here's my skype avatar for reference:

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2016, 01:50:41 AM »
Listened to my first podcast the other day... cool =-)
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Dalamud_Descends

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 22, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »
Oh man!  Such a good MOTY group this year!  I am excited to add my input.  However, seeing as I am sitting in class at the moment, I have limited time.  Wild Armor, the Eternal Blue OST is greatness, but I've gushed on that enough.  Considering Undertale is a favorite, I will post this video of Ace Water doing a cover of Undertale theme.  Very awesome stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRw26sEEywY

I can't wait to post my thoughts....though Arvis may have me beat!  Looking forward to it!

P.S. Love all of you hosts, but I missed Derek and Rob on this year's MOTY
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:11:53 PM by Dalamud_Descends »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
Thoughts on Music of the Year Second Movement:

- That Resonating Sound is the Cry of the Nue / Kakuriyo no Mon Original Soundtrack
Hm.... a slightly tribal feel.  No idea what this game is, but the title of this track reminds me of the names of some FFVII tracks (even though the music is nothing like it).  Apparently this is from a visual novel?

- Battle ~ Adel / Imperial SaGa
This came out in 2015?  This is some super old school stuff.  That nostalgic, overdone synthy feel is nice, and even though I used to hate this sort of thing, the way this track tries and fails to be "rock" is so charming.  I miss that in VGM, sometimes.

- The Q Field / Qurare: Magic Library
This is all kinds of joy.  Love the poppy synth and the way the whole thing breaks down into a melodious mash-up of the most trancey VGM I've heard in a while.  Loved it.  Insert yesyesgood.gif here.
LOL, I looked up Qurare to see some of this "artwork" that was supposed to be so good.  It's definitely well-drawn, but if anyone is listening to this at work, wait until you get home to look this one up.

- Begin the Emergency Mission! / Schoolgirl Strikers
I notice the host called this "School Strikers".  Too embarrassed to say the full name? :P
Either way, this track is FREAKING AWESOME.  It reminded me of the always-happy and melody-driven music from a lot of Ultra-Japanese-Anime-style stuff, like Gust RPGs or even the Little Busters VN.  It seems wildly misnamed, though.  There's no sense of emergency here.  But that's just fine.  Peaceful and melodious tracks like this make me want to be a kid again.
Yes, "most laid back emergency mission ever" is a good way of describing it.
Oooh, "watercolor" is a great one-word-description of this track.  I'm not nearly creative enough to describe each of these tracks with one word.

- "Cave / Brandish: The Dark Revenant" was pretty good, in the interlude.  There was some VERY nice melody work here, albeit hidden under the over-produced bombast.

- .....more to come.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 08, 2016, 11:53:01 AM »
Thoughts on Music of the Year Second Movement, continued:

- Silver Will, Golden Wings Game Opening Version / The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
As far as vocal opening tracks go, this one was neither sub-par, nor par.  Rather, I could call it super-par.  I often feel like vocal openers are always better as instrumentals (see: White Knight Chronicles' "The Travelers" for an example of this), but as long as the melody is strong, like this one, they can work and work well.
Trails SC is one of those games that is basically "I wonder when I will get to this?" level on my backlog.  I know I will eventually, but it might be years from now.

- The Forgotten Capital/ Etrian Mystery Dungeon
This is so delightfully Etrian.  The music in this franchise is underrated and always pleasant to listen to.  The various change-ups in this track, too, give it a nice cinematic quality.

- Sherlock Holmes ~ The Great Detective of the Foggy Town / Daigyakuten Saiban: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken
This is the Ace Attorney game set in the past, right?  If so, this music works brilliantly for that setting.  And yet, at the same time, it's still strangely evocative of the AA series as a whole, even though those games tend to sound ultra modern.  I have no idea how they achieved this, but I can hear it, for sure.

- Artemis / Lord of Magna
I'll be honest.... this was short, and I didn't get a good sense of it.  Heard some fun violin, but I can't really form an opinion on it.

- Rem Tokimiya / Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
This is the guy who did Crisis Core, yes?  I can tell right away.  That's a good thing, though.  Nice, strong feeling here: a sorrowful melody supported by relentless synth/guitar that breaks down nicely when it needs to.  I think this composer could potentially be the heir to the mainline FF soundtracks if Shimomura doesn't want the job.  Feel he could maybe branch out on the sound font a little though, because this seriously sounded like Crisis Core.  I guess this and CC both began life on the PSP, though, so that makes sense...

- Testing the Passionate Bonds / Tales of Zestiria
Man, I've heard something a lot like this in another RPG and I can't remember which one.  It's a solid, if uncreative, track.  Of course, right when I just typed that last sentence the track just crescendoed into a truly bizarre synth portion with this cool, poppy alien sound that jumped around all over the place, and then THAT broke down into an acoustic guitar jam session.  WTH??  I guess it was just the first... 20% of the track that came off as uncreative?  Because this actually turned into something exceptional.  Ok, what the heck, was that a synth KAZOO I just heard?  WHAT WAS THAT!?  Alright.... can somebody count for me the number of times the instrumentation completely changes in this track?  I'm starting to want to go back and erase my "uncreative" comment, because now I sound like an idiot.

- Alright, I should be able to get to the last two tracks in Second Movement this afternoon.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 08, 2016, 04:49:24 PM »
- Bonus Track: The Essence of Aeris / MATERIA: Final Fantasy VII Remixed
Ok..... I admit, that was funny.  When the the one dude's vocals started, I was like "Lame" but then..... well, you-know-what happened.  Don't want to spoil it.  People will just have to listen.  Either way, I lost it.  Well played.

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
That was the exact reaction I was hoping for with that last-minute addition. :)
"Donít be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isnít a demon. Sheís a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 09, 2016, 11:45:53 AM »
That was the exact reaction I was hoping for with that last-minute addition. :)
I've been singing it this morning while getting ready for work. :P

Perigryn

• Infrequent, but still here.
  • Contributing Editor
  • Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 15, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
Hey! Need to dust off my forum account, and what better place to do it than here?

I finally got not-shitty-headphones new headphones so I can hear podcasts again! Hizzah!

I've gotten myself entirely caught up with the exception of MotY 2015, and I gotta' say, it's been fun.

I'm sad to see Derek go, but Mike and Caitlin's consistent presence is great. Plus, I never tire of your segues, Stephen.

There's been a lot of great music poured into my brain this past month as I shotgunned, like, 8 or so episodes, and it's all been pretty on point. Being introduced to some new stuff has been fantastic, and I'd like to go back over the show notes and, you know, remember.

Also, Stephen, word up on Palpota Harbour. You know where it's at, sir. I need to get that arrange album.

So... where're we at these days? I need to stay up to date henceforth so I can finally get a suggestion in on the podcast, or, you know, weasel my way onto it with my sultry thespian vocals!

As always, great work, and continue it! A joy to listen to.

Just Greg, thanks.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 16, 2016, 11:09:56 AM »
So... where're we at these days? I need to stay up to date henceforth so I can finally get a suggestion in on the podcast, or, you know, weasel my way onto it with my sultry thespian vocals!

Hey you, if anyone's gonna weasel their way on to this podcast, it's me!  Step off!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:12:37 AM by Arvis »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 15, 2016, 05:05:12 PM »
Thoughts on Music of the Year Final Movement:

- Night in the Brume / Heavensward: Final Fantasy XIV OST
Wow................... wow, this is seriously beautiful.  This was one of the the most evocative pieces of VG music I've heard in a while.  And it's in an MMO.  Crazy.  That mournful piano...

- Skyline / VA-11 HALL-A Prologue
This is totally cool and chill and I like it.  Unfortunately, it's a bit too "backgroundy".  I had to go back and play it twice, and the second time I listened to it, I had no memory of hearing it the first time.  Might be my fault.  It's a stellar chill-out track, for sure.

- Skies of a Strange Land / The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
Trails music never fails to impress.  Sure, it might be "generic JRPG" to some, but that happens to be the sound I tend to enjoy most.  Different just to be different leaves us with stuff like the "NLA Day Theme" in Xenoblade X.  Gimme something that sounds like this, any day.

TO BE CONTINUED NEXT WEEK

- Battle / Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

- Little Green Hero / Chrono Cinematica

- Imagination / Heavensward: Final Fantasy XIV

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #344 on: April 15, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »
That's why I like the VA-11 HALL-A soundtrack(s), actually, because they work so well as mood-setters. :) I often just let it loop while I'm doing work - sometimes I've even had it going for the full eight hours.
"Donít be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isnít a demon. Sheís a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."