Author Topic: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread  (Read 289502 times)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: RPGFan Music Podcast (Rhythm Encounter) Thread
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »
- Battle / Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
This is the Mario-est thing I have listened to in a long long time.  In a good way.  Frenetic and colorful, with all the right instrumentation change-ups.  Did I hear correctly that Shimomura composed this?  It has her melody sensibilities, either way.  I enjoy the... uh... "clappy percussion", for lack of a more technical term.

- Little Green Hero / Chrono Cinematica
Why do some of the most beautiful/amazing/epic VGM rearrangements/remixes have the goofiest titles?  I can't even believe how rich this track is.  Definitly fits the "Cinematica" name, as I could so imagine this in a Chrono Trigger movie.
I see you have explained that that is the exact intent of this arrange album.  Well done, Chrono Cinematica people.  Comparing this to the music from How To Train Your Dragon is one of the biggest compliments you could ever give to any cinematic music.
Meyerink: GO LISTEN TO THE HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON SCORE.  Do it.

- Imagination / Heavensward: Final Fantasy XIV
You people and your XIV.  Making me even more jealous with your awesome music that I will never get to experience in context..... T_____T
I always like it when Final Fantasy uses a choir.  The Distant Worlds version of FFXI's "Memoro de la Stono ~ Distant Worlds" with the choir is one of my all-time favorite VGM tracks ever, and I never even played XI.

- Echoes in the Wind / Sakura Fantasy
The briefest of Google searches ever tells me that this game is only safe for work in audio form.  That being said, this is some amazing music.  Who the heck is composing such beautiful pieces for what basically amounts to an H-Game?  How does this even fit, thematically, with yuri make out sessions (which, as far as I can tell, is what the game is about)?

- Theme X / Xenoblade Chronicles X
Very excited for this one!  Haven't heard it yet, but it's nice to look forward to a track from a game I have actually played!  Listening now..... and of course it's something I have no memory of hearing.  It's frickin amazing, though.  I definitely recognize some of the melody, here, but I'm used to the vocals.  I think it might be Elma's Theme that I'm thinking of.  Could this be the Credit Roll?
Gosh dang this is triumphant as heck.  I'm close to tears listening to this crescendo.
**Ok, so it plays during the intro to New LA.  I look forward to hearing it again when I inevitably get to this game for a second playthrough.  As for the vocal themes, I think they're hit and miss.  But really... we can't really talk about which ones are hit and which ones are miss unless you guys list them all... ONE BY OOOONNNNEEE (one by one)!
**Oooh, nice use of Sylvalum theme in the background.

- BergentrŁckung + ASGORE / Undertale
This sounds like it's from Undertale, which makes sense and is completely a good thing.  Not sure what else to say.  Solid, wonderful retro sounds.
**Totally agree about composers writing better melodies when they're restricted by the medium.  Look at Uematsu on the SNES and PS1.  It's his most famous and memorable work for a reason, even though his later stuff is also really fantastic.

- ??? / Host's Choice (Undertale Title Traack)
This completely does NOT sound like it's from Undertale.  It's amazing, though.  Seriously amazing.  Kinda reminds me of the Besaid Theme from X (or X-2).  Dat piano.  Like, seriously, listen to the Besaid Theme and this back to back.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that the composer of this track didn't have the Besaid Theme in mind when he composed this.

Mike, thank you for your editing!  Lian Kaitlinziri Whatever, thank you for being awesome!  Rhythm Encounter is one of my favorite ever podcasts, so please keep up the good work.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Perigryn

• Infrequent, but still here.
  • Contributing Editor
  • Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 30, 2016, 02:23:47 AM »
So... where're we at these days? I need to stay up to date henceforth so I can finally get a suggestion in on the podcast, or, you know, weasel my way onto it with my sultry thespian vocals!

Hey you, if anyone's gonna weasel their way on to this podcast, it's me!  Step off!

Haha! You tell me, Arvis!

On that note, kudos on all your song reviews! Really great way to keep up to date on the tracks listed in the podcast, it's appreciated!
Just Greg, thanks.

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #347 on: April 30, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
As always, thank you all for listening and commenting! We know it's been awhile since the last episode, but your patience will be rewarded very soon. Stay tuned!

Perigryn, I love that avatar! I have a feeling you'll enjoy the next episode...
"Donít be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isnít a demon. Sheís a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #348 on: May 01, 2016, 03:24:07 PM »
Okay, here we go! It's been in the works for awhile, but we're back with a new episode, with a special guest!

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2016/4724.html
"Donít be ridiculous. Martha Stewart isnít a demon. Sheís a witch. Nobody could do that much decoupage without calling on the powers of darkness."

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 02, 2016, 03:40:50 PM »
Stoked!  Can't wait to get to this!
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 03, 2016, 08:41:21 AM »
Okay, here we go! It's been in the works for awhile, but we're back with a new episode, with a special guest!

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2016/4724.html

Listening to the new episode. I was a little surprised to know that Caitlin hasn't played Chrono Trigger. Not a bad thing, it was just surprising to her talk so passionately about the song but then not play the game, but its all good. 

Anyway nice show guys. :)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 03, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
Haven't listened yet but just wanted to chime in that I am also in the camp that prefers Trigger's music to its gameplay.

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 03, 2016, 02:00:48 PM »
Listening to the new episode. I was a little surprised to know that Caitlin hasn't played Chrono Trigger. Not a bad thing, it was just surprising to her talk so passionately about the song but then not play the game, but its all good. 

Thank you!

And yeah, I'm always nervous about admitting I haven't played Chrono Trigger, because it's one of those classic RPGs everyone has played and do I lose my credibility as a gamer or lover of RPGs because I haven't played it? I keep telling myself I should play it, but it's really hard for me to get motivated to play older games like that. I do like the music from Chrono Trigger though; some of it is present in Chrono Cross and then there are remixes I would listen to back in high school, so the music is special to me even if I haven't played the game itself.

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 03, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »

Thank you!

And yeah, I'm always nervous about admitting I haven't played Chrono Trigger, because it's one of those classic RPGs everyone has played and do I lose my credibility as a gamer or lover of RPGs because I haven't played it? I keep telling myself I should play it, but it's really hard for me to get motivated to play older games like that. I do like the music from Chrono Trigger though; some of it is present in Chrono Cross and then there are remixes I would listen to back in high school, so the music is special to me even if I haven't played the game itself.

Nah don't feel bad about not playing the game. I buy more games than I can play so I am sure there is some classic RPG game out there that everyone has played and I haven't. I just need one of those stay at home jobs that allows me to enough time to play games at home lol.

Also the person on the podcast who suggested to play Chrono Trigger on the DS, thank you. If I ever replay it I'll make sure to get it on there.

Arklight

• Know the meaning of Odio.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 03, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »
If the fact that I have never finished a single Final Fantasy game doesn't detract from my credibility as a fan of RPGs, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"

missRPGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 03, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
If the fact that I have never finished a single Final Fantasy game doesn't detract from my credibility as a fan of RPGs, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Any of them? Well I guess the next question I would ask is how many have you tried?

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2016, 04:46:32 PM »

This totally detracts from your credibility.  You have something to worry about, Lian.

Mike

• Administrator
  • Oathkeeper
    • View Profile
    • Valkyrie Studio
« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »
Also the person on the podcast who suggested to play Chrono Trigger on the DS, thank you. If I ever replay it I'll make sure to get it on there.

The SNES version is fine too, of course. I don't recall if the Virtual Console release has much in the way of loading, but avoid the PSone release (even on PSN)! It had some neat extras like anime cutscenes - which I THINK are in the DS one - including one that tied in to Chrono Cross. But the load times when simply opening the menu are simply awful. The DS one is quick, and has even more cool extras, like a music player, a log cataloguing which endings you've seen, and a bonus boss battle that ties into CC. There's also an additional bonus zone, noteworthy for offering cool gear, and including music that was cut from the original game, but the gameplay here is MMO-esque fetch quests. Lame, but again, cool music.

(I may know more than is healthy about this game, I think)

Lian_Kazairl

• Taskmistress
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Salt Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
Nah don't feel bad about not playing the game. I buy more games than I can play so I am sure there is some classic RPG game out there that everyone has played and I haven't. I just need one of those stay at home jobs that allows me to enough time to play games at home lol.

Awww, thanks! =^__^=

This totally detracts from your credibility.  You have something to worry about, Lian.

.... ;__;

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »

Awww, thanks! =^__^=

.... ;__;

Adorable.  I lol'd.

Serious talk: I've only beaten Trigger once, so...