Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2015, 06:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363284 Posts in 14716 Topics by 2301 Members
Latest Member: FrustratedLeadingTone
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Inafune's latest project The Mighty No.9 looks Mega Rocking, man.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print
Author Topic: Inafune's latest project The Mighty No.9 looks Mega Rocking, man.  (Read 20258 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2015, 07:26:21 AM »

Of course she's supposed to be black.  Just look at how big her lips are.

No, seriously, for some reason Japanese people have this stereotype that black people have enormous lips.  I don't really get it but you see it all the time there.
...that's because of the U.S. >.> History lesson time! You see a vast majority of anime conventions come from U.S. animation conventions that were prevalent in U.S. animation during the U.S. occupation of Japan. In many ways you can say that the "anime style" of big expressive eyes originates from the Japanese copying Disney cartoons as that is the style of animation that Japanese animators were exposed to before they started working on their own homegrown industry.

Now then, if you go back to U.S. cartoons from that era (well assuming you can find any), you'll notice that blacks were depicted with giant lips in those cartoons. This was playing on stereotypes that were heavily played up in minstrel shows/blackface. Those depictions are now see as being horribly insensitive in the U.S., but Japan's population lacks a significant black presence, so they don't recognize the history for what we imported to them. >.>
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/04/mega-man-legends-staff-working-on-red-ash-kickstarter-up/

So it looks like my Mad-Lib write up about this game was way off. I should've had a thesaurus on hand when I made that post.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2015, 02:07:28 AM »

Sorry INAFKING, I'm not really feeling it this time. At least the Mighty No. 9 kickstarter had mock ups of what the game might look like (though the end product ended up looking a lot worse) in addition to their character and concept art. There was even a few shots of people working on the 3D models of Beck and whatnot. Here we got the character art and a bunch of storyboards (also what I'm guessing is Hochu Otsuka's voice which was the best part). Mighty No. 9's not even out yet and I want to know if that's actually a decent game before bothering to help you fund your next game (Though really they should be trying to fund their own projects now that they have actually made a major release). I get that you can't just have your programmers sitting around twiddling their thumbs while MN09 is entering post-production but I find it hard to believe Comcept doesn't have enough money for ~3 months before needing to make this sort of announcement.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »

I agree completely, Hathen. I'd like to actually be able to play Mighty No. 9 before I support a new title from Inafune and Comcept. Also, since Mighty No. 9 was completely funded by the generosity of fans, they should wait and use the profit they make to fund the studio's next game. Or at the very least, try to fund it themselves.
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2015, 01:39:22 PM »

I'm getting a little tired of Inafune trying to relive his glory days at this point, to be perfectly honest. If these games turn out to be good, then hooray. I'm not particularly fond of the guy though.

"Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time"
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »

I agree completely, Hathen. I'd like to actually be able to play Mighty No. 9 before I support a new title from Inafune and Comcept. Also, since Mighty No. 9 was completely funded by the generosity of fans, they should wait and use the profit they make to fund the studio's next game. Or at the very least, try to fund it themselves.

So I slowed down and read the description a little closer, it seems like all the people reporting about this are leaving out something really important.

This thing they're kickstarting is in fact, a prologue game of some kind, and only a snippet of what the "full game" would be (they said it would be around 8 hours long). I'm guessing it's a lot like what MGS Ground Zeroes was. Apparently they're saying the full game would cost way too much to ask Kickstarter- when you think about it that's not really a surprise, they want to make an open world game and that can cost tens of millions in a first world country like Japan. Makes the $800k they're asking for make a whole lot more sense because there's no way you'd be making an open world game on that budget.

From the page:

This story has always been planned as a key jumping-on point for the universe, and we hope to use this small, but dense taste of the RED ASH universe as a foundation on which to build future content. Whether it's through additional funding, revenue from "The KalKanon Incident" sales, or teaming up with a publisher, this is a story we are determined to tell, and we want all of our backers to be on the ground floor for the creation of this new game universe.

It seems like it's basically them asking the fans to fund a pitch/proposal sort of thing. When put this way it does seem like an appropriate use of Kickstarter.

Unfortunately they really picked the worst combination of factors. People are going "didn't we already give you guys money" after MN09, June/July is like the worst time to launch a kickstarter, and on top of that they're making this right after people have already put their money into Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained and Shenmue. There's still plenty of time so I'll put some thought into whether or not I'll kickstart this one, I do hope they can make their initial goal at least.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2015, 11:33:42 AM »

Looks like Red Ash didn't get its money (but it'll get made anyway), and Mighty No. 9 is getting delayed all the way to Q1 2016. There's a whole lot of other stuff that happens around those two announcements but I guess the short version is that the internet isn't terribly happy about it.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »

Looks like Red Ash didn't get its money (but it'll get made anyway), and Mighty No. 9 is getting delayed all the way to Q1 2016. There's a whole lot of other stuff that happens around those two announcements but I guess the short version is that the internet isn't terribly happy about it.

The Red Ash anime got funded though. Enough to warrant a second KS even.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: