Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 12:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329971 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  P.T.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: P.T.  (Read 505 times)
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »

Okay I feel like this game needs to be talked about because....GOOD GOD. For those of you that haven't played it, PLAY IT. If you don't own a PS4...Buy one. This one hour demo is the best thing on the console. Seriously. Its free, its amazing, and I really don't wanna spoil the surprise for anyone who hasn't beaten it yet, although I suppose everyone has read about it by now. This is the first game to make me feel genuine fear since Silent Hill 2 back in the day. The final reveal was the icing on the cake. I haven't felt such atmosphere for years, and even when a jump scare happens, it doesn't feel completely cheap, it was built up to perfectly. The fact that most of the fear comes from the slower moments is so great. Seriously PLAY IT!

Edit: I am so freaking sorry, I could have sworn I posted this in miscellaneous games, could a mod please move it? Sorry again.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:28:10 PM »

Mind as well call it Silent Hills.

BUT YES.  Very impressive "playable trailer".  I took a nice lil' screenshot during IGN's playthrough

Killer smile. ;)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »

My roommate and I played it last night holy fuck creepy

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:51:57 PM »

Er, is it an RPG? I thought it was survival horror/Silent Hill, so I think you might have posted in the wrong section, but whatever.  I certainly wouldn't mind more Survival Horror RPGs (Koudelka, anyone?).

The demo is basically atmospheric eye-candy.  The lighting is amazing.
I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that the teaser isn't representative of the full game.  It does seem like it'll be third person, though, so there's that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 11:53:37 PM by Cyril » Logged
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:13:55 AM »

This was so good. I had so much fun. It was oppressive and atmospheric in all the right ways. The puzzles were clever and rewarding, hitting that point of being just obtuse enough. I am now so excited for Silent Hills. Certainly not an RPG though.

I would love another good horror-RPG. Koudelka is an extremely interesting game, even if it's not great. There is just so much that I love, like the atmosphere and voice acting and that fact that piety is the magic defense stat. Edward Plunkett's being the Lord of Dunsany. You've reminded me again, that I need to play Shadow Hearts 2 and 3.

BTW does anyone else think the S in "Hills" is a 5? Because that is both stupid and reasonable, which is very Kojima.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:59:19 AM »

BTW does anyone else think the S in "Hills" is a 5? Because that is both stupid and reasonable, which is very Kojima.

I... would not describe Kojima the same way you do. If anything he has shown over the years to be incredibly perfectionist at what he does. But anyway, to your question; All the little info I've read is that Silent Hills along with any ending you might get is gonna be procedurally generated, and because of this the name refers to the different kinds of Silent Hills players will experience individually.

I don't know the source of where that "info" came from, but the procedurally generated part sounds way too exaggerated for me to believe it. Either way, what really matters here is that after 10 years a brand new Silent Hill is finally back in good hands.

And like I said in the misc. gaming news thread, I hope this is a reboot. If it has to be part of the main series things could get more than messy with the state of the canonicity of the series. SH Origins to Downpour are part of the "bizarro timeline" since most of what happens in those games doesn't make that much sense overall with what was shown in SH1-4.

Still, I have faith in the project.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 02:02:28 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:30:04 AM »

So what is P.T.??
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:01:31 AM »

So what is P.T.??

A short horror playable horror teaser. It is meant to be horrifying and succeeds on all fronts. Although it does have some stupid ass puzzles. The gameplay is very much you just walking around. Every now and again you have to press a button, but it is mainly just walking around staring at different things.

I think Kojima is starting to have problems with grammar. First Ground Zeroes now Silent Hills. Can't wait for the Phantom Pains and whatever else Hideos freaking Kojimas wants to do next.

Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:59:23 PM »

Oh its actually named PT.. hah. thoguht it was short forl ike Pants Trousers or something like that  :-P
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 07:22:51 PM »

It's short for Playable Teaser.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 12:28:34 AM »

I am well aware that this is not an rpg. I edited my original post 2 seconds after finishing it to clarify that posting it here was an accident, and asked the mods to move it...

Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 03:58:30 AM »

I hope the final product will be better than Origins-Downpour; absolute garbage and yes... I'm a Team Silent fanboy, lol. The western games are considered fan-fiction to me, since they didn't properly get what Silent Hill is supposed to represent. Anyways, as for P.T., I thought it was creepy as hell, and I know this won't reflect anything on the final game, hence, they left the disclaimer at the end of the demo. I have faith in Kojima-san, since I've enjoyed all of his games and I think he has a vision of what the fans have been wanting and that is the horror of SH 1-3. Just please, no damn ghost stories like in Downpour or anything representing a damn Pyramid Head. I would like if the Cult is re-visited, but there really isn't anything left to explore; that story was wrapped up completely with Silent Hill 3 (my favorite). What would be amazing, is if Akira Yamaoka returns to Konami, to compose the soundtrack/sound effects and bring back Masahiro Ito for the creature designs.

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 06:12:56 AM »

So Del Toro and Kojima are both on this.....I am intrigued and confused by this. I think I am probably going to have to try this out despite not having played a Silent Hill game before.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »

What the hell is this all about? They made a game that's a teaser for a new Silent Hill?

Between this and that Moby Dick studios or whatever they did for the teaser of MGS5 Kojima is quite the performance artist.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »

P.T. Teaser Trailer. This trailer was released the moment P.T. went live on PSN.

---

After having spent a few hours with P.T. I can say that it has more in common with Cry of Fear and the original Fatal Frame than Silent Hill outside of the heavy atmosphere, that's very much out of Silent Hill 1-4.

Also, P.T. is the first First-person horror game that doesn't let you use weapons of any kind that, in my book, does everything an horror game of its kind has to do. After seeing so many failed experiments it's refreshing seeing finally one game that understands (or rather remembers) what the genre was about.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: