Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2016, 12:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
236924 Posts in 7066 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  General Games
| | |-+  The controllers thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The controllers thread  (Read 154 times)
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »

With the talk about how playing lengthy games on smartphones and even tablets can cause hand fatigue or control pretty slippery (I've griped about this in several of my reviews), I figured why not have a thread about the various controllers we've used in our gaming lives.  Which ones we liked, which ones we didn't like, etc. 

In terms of shape, I really liked the GameCube controller.  When a friend and I attended the CubeClub event in NYC preceding the console's launch, I spent hours playing games and my hand didn't feel fatigued at all.  My only gripe with the controller was the piston-style shoulder buttons that were a little difficult to push.  I really like the way Playstation DualShock controllers fit in my hand too.  The older non-DualShock ones were too narrow. 

In the early days, I totally favored the NES MAX over the rectangle controller, because it fit in my hands more comfortably. 

I greatly disliked the first XBox controller.  I have small hands for a guy my size, and the controller was too big and bulky to hold.  My hands felt fatigued after minutes. 

In terms of handhelds, I vastly prefer playing my Vita over my 3DS.  My right thumb definitely feels it more after I've been playing on the 3DS. 

So, yeah, let's talk controllers. 

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »

The Dreamcast controller suffered from some of the same bulk issues as the original Xbox.  And it had the cord coming out the bottom, which was awkward.  I don't think my hands are small, but I also preferred the smaller Xbox controller.

I hate the back touch panel of the Vita, but I like it a lot otherwise.  I wish that it let you re-map things for Remote Play, though.  Some games have L2/R2 and 3 mapped to the back, others put them on the corners of the touchscreen, and that works MUCH better.

As long as you got the AC adapter, the controller for the Virtual Boy was surprisingly good.  I believe it was the first to have something like its two d-pads, and they used that to good effect in a game or two.  If you didn't have the AC adapter, though, I'm sure the 8 AA batteries would have felt like lifting weights after not too long. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:00:02 PM »

Haha! I wonder if this was related.

Personally, the N64 controller was one of the ones that just didn't work super well for me even though I Played it a lot. I feel like the yellow c buttons were spaced too far off for me personally.

On the flip side I the (may as well be original) dual shock controller got a lot of use and was good for long play sessions.

ScottC
RPGFan Editor

Manderville Man

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 09:25:47 PM »

In terms of awesome controllers I think these 4 are the best.

Dualshock 4
Dualshock 2
Gamecube
Xbox 360

I know people love the old controllers( I do too) but I think the ergonomics of controllers are getting so much better over time.  I haven't tried the XboxOne controller but I have heard its even better then the 360.  Dualshock 3 feels like garbage IMO, its lightweight and the triggers feel flimsy.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 01:47:35 AM »

- I like the GC controller but my hands are dumb and occasionally it'd hit some /nerve/ and make them go numb. (Update: The GC controller would hit a nerve in my hands. Not the other way around. My GC controller never complained of nerve impingement).

- PS2 controller is my controller of choice.

- I like the 360 controller too but the asymmetrtemmysa doesn't feel right too me.

- As much as I love the DC, its controller is not groovy, and neither was the MiDnIgHt SaLmIaK edition they used for the original XBox.

- I can't use a 3DSXL comfortably for any length of time for games that aren't like, menu RPG thingies.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 03:27:32 AM »

SNES and PS4's controllers are probably my favorites.
The buttons (particularly the shoulder buttons) on the wii's classic controller feel cheaply made, and overall it feels a little cheaply made, plus the motion controls in a game like Skyward Sword (albeit only played a kiosk demo) were balls to the wall unplayable.

Another one that deserves mention is this thing for its ergonomic design and it's cheap but it still feels well made.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 10:33:01 AM »

SNES

I've got lots of love for the SNES controller. I played a shit ton of different games on that system back in its day, and never once cursed the controller's design/functionality.

- I like the GC controller

Me too. I know a lot of people don't like its design (and I can see why - it's all over the place), but that never really bothered me. It was reliable, and the button and stick feedback was excellent. I continued to use mine on any Wii game that would allow it.

~I always liked the design of the Genesis 6 button controller, but it felt super cheap. Still, I spent many an hour playing SSF2 with that thing.

~I love the way PS controllers feel in the hands, but the triggers/buttons/sticks could be more responsive. I want to say I liked the DS1 more than any of the others.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »

Chalk me up for the Gamecube controller. My hands would be just fine after hours and hours and would typically outlast my butt, which would get sore by then. I even had a good chair. I'd give props to the Wii U Pro Controller too, but I rarely actually use it, so...

As for others, I have always liked the Dualshock controllers. Not sure about X360, but I did think the original XBox controllers were too large. SNES, while classic, never held up well for my Super Metroid-filled Saturday mornings. I eventually changed the button configuration and that helped a bit, but it still left my hands cramped.
Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 04:45:47 AM »

Favorite is the Dual Shock. It just feels right in my hands. Favorite handheld for ergonomics was the PSP. 

No one has mentioned it so I will say that Sega Master System had an excellent controller as well.

The worst: Intellivision.

Controller I liked that everybody hated: Atari 5200.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: