Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:53:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Azure Striker Gunvolt
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Azure Striker Gunvolt  (Read 137 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »

http://www.gunvolt.com/en/

This was mentioned in the Mighty No. 9 thread but I figure I might as well make a separate thread.

This game seems to have flown under the radar for a lot of people since, well, the marketing has been terrible, for one thing, but I guess there's also the fact that you won't be seeing it in a store since it's a download-only title.

Having gotten it myself, I guess I'll give some thoughts on it. I think I got my money's worth at $15, at least moreso than the last $15 game I bought (Code of Princess). A lot of people were thinking Megaman ZX before it came out, but it's really more of a Megaman X than anything. No Metroid elements here, just choose your stage and go.

People looking for a old school challenge will want to look elsewhere though, because this game is incredibly easy to beat. Pretty much the only struggle in the game I had was against the last boss. One of the big reasons for its low difficulty is that if you talk to Joule between missions you have a chance of not just being revived after you die, but being restored to full and becoming more powerful through an infinite charge of your lightning (your main attack, usually you have to recharge it after using it for so long).

Basically the only incentive to get good at the game is to get high scores and to beat various associated challenges. The more enemies you defeat without getting hit, the higher the multiplier gets, but if you get hit even a single time you'll lose all your points. If you touch a checkpoint you'll cash in your points but also lose whatever multiplier you've built up. So basically they made the game very easily accessible to everyone but if you want to obsess over it and master it you can do that too. To be fair playing it over and over is the sort of thing lots of people do with this kind of game anyway, but I think it makes the game kinda disappointing in a one-shot playthrough, unlike Megaman 9 or 10 which were both very challenging games even without all those achievements attached.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:08:53 PM »

It looks pretty cool! Though I'm bummed to hear that it is an easy game. And by the Zero, ZX, and MM9 and 10 team to boot! I need a new game, so I'll probably go ahead and download it and Mighty Gunvolt tonight. Can't wait to start playing! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll post my own thoughts when I've played it.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »

From what I've heard, it's basically a speedrunner's game. I've been thinking of getting it, but the part I liked least about the MMZero series was brutal focus on perfect plays (why sure, offer an entire upgrade system and then penalize the player for ever using it; at least they got better about it as the series wore on, although Hard Mode was always essentially an enforced Minimalist Mode).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:37:33 PM »

Speedrunner's game is an accurate description, but it's not designed nearly as poorly as the first Megaman Zero. There's no dumb story forks based on how well you do and you don't get punished for using powerups. It's basically just a Megaman X game except you get rated at the end of each mission. The ratings are pretty much just for their own sake (the only way it impacts gameplay I can think of is that a higher rate gets you more materials at the end of a mission to make equipment), which is how it should be.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: