Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:42:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335270 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain  (Read 14935 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »

Apparently Kiefer Sutherland is playing Joachim, the bandage guy, not Snake.

They're either going to use the Big Boss/Solidus voice from MGS4 (which makes sense) or there's a switcheroo going on here.

This whole coma thing has got to be a set up to Metal Gear and Outer Heaven.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 11:37:54 PM »

Huh.

I don't know about this. I remember that at one point the voice actor of Raiden (Quinton Flynn) wasn't contacted when Metal Gear Rising was in development too and he got worried but ended up getting the job.

People is talking about Solid Snake doing a cameo in The Phantom Pain given that the story happens before the original Metal Gear in the timeline... *sigh* I have too many damn questions in my mind now. Exciting times to be a Metal Gear fan though.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »

I agree. I'll definitely be picking this up-- I've yet to be disappointed by a main MG title (well, okay, the plot in 2 was disappointing because it became insanity), and I definitely dig the new ideas Kojima's shooting for with this one.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 12:45:46 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's a work.

They didn't have Cam Clarke back as Liquid in MGS4, but he's in this.....Fox vs. xoF - makes me think we're going to see Solid AND Liquid in the game at some point.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 02:57:52 AM »

Metal Gear is the one big series I've never dabbled in since the PS1 but goddamn that's a trailer and a 1/2. Sweet shit there.

Even if I played them all, would I know what was up?
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 03:14:24 AM »

^If you played all the main games? Yeah you would, but you have to remember that in every game a ton of exposition is always buried in the Codec.

And also FYI, The Phantom Pain continues the story of Big Boss that started in MGS3 and was continued with Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

---

No David Hayter in Metal Gear Solid V confirmed, reason will become clear later -- Source: Unofficial Metal Gear Solid Site

"The interview Geoff Keighley conducted with Hideo Kojima at GDC 2013 will be posted online later this week. Via his Twitter, Keighley let us know that Kojima confirmed David Hayter won't be in the game. He also confirmed a lot of other things, but what exactly, Keighley didn't specify.

David Hayter, who has been the English voice actor for Snake since Metal Gear Solid in 1998, and for Big Boss in the later games, posted on his Twitter yesterday he had not been contacted for this new game. We can already hear Snake's new voice during the gameplay demo, and now Kojima has made it official.

What the reason is remains unknown, but Keighley confirmed Kojima will clarify this decision during the interview. It might have something to do with differentiating the changing character of Big Boss from his younger self (Naked Snake), and also from his 'son' Solid Snake. For such reasons, Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 4 was voiced by Richard Doyle, but he doesn't seem to be the current voice actor either. We will find out more when the interview airs."
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:48:44 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 06:46:34 AM »

Go grab the HD collection and play MGS 3. You'll thank me later.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »

Damn, I thought I was over MGS games, but this looks like it's going to be a riot. I've only ever played the main series games, so hopefully the story won't be lost on me. I have no interest in any portable MGS games.
No David Hayter = : - (

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »

Looks like I need to pony up and get the HD Collection for PS3. I've played MGS 1, 2, 3, 4, and Rising, but the story is so deep and I played them so long ago that most of the story has already been forgotten. I really didn't want to play any MGS portable games like Mark just said, but I might play Peacewalker since it is on the collection.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 12:57:00 AM »

I started Peacewalker on a longass train ride. It's actually fun as hell and having dual sticks would help big.

So dumb question time.... is this the same game as Ground Zeros?
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »

Go grab the HD collection and play MGS 3. You'll thank me later.

^ this is quality advice.

And Ground Zeroes is basically the 'Tanker Chapter,' with Phantom Pain being the "Big Shell" chapter-- only they're separate, full-length games. So it's two games.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 03:46:01 AM »

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Video - Kojima Interview -- Source: GameTrailers

I'm not gonna ruin the Interview for you guys, so just watch it and enjoy.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 05:52:42 PM »

Aww. But I spent so much time working on that Sea Fort. :(

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »

One of the doctors in the Metal Gear Solid V trailer is a 3D captured person -- Source: Unofficial Metal Gear Solid Site

"At GDC 2013, Kojima Productions showed off their new engine, and how it can capture real life persons and objects into the game relatively easily using 3D scanning. One of the doctors in the beginning of the trailer giving ECM to Snake is actually a scan of one of KPs staff members, character modeling artist Mike Fudge."

---

from David Hayter Twitter:

"METAL GEAR V

By

David Hayter

So,

Here's a recap of events:

I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn't hear anything about whether I'd be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn't be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you're making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it's been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else's voice coming from Snake's battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.

But the truth is -- it's not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that's fair.

And I'll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn't want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013"

#NoAprilFools
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »

I can literally hear the Metal Gear theme playing as I read that....the day Snake's voice had died.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: