Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 11:51:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331437 Posts in 13573 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain  (Read 13488 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2013, 10:10:07 PM »

Oh fuck, mulltiplayer, I forgot all about that. Holiday 2015 then. =P

Nice studio.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »

I'm not really digging the Regen health ability. 

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

Not a first for the series, that was in MGS3 dependent on your stamina. I haven't watched any videos, is it a lot faster then?
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2013, 05:33:44 PM »

Not a first for the series, that was in MGS3 dependent on your stamina. I haven't watched any videos, is it a lot faster then?

That is true, but from this article:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/6/4700424/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-eyes-on-snake-has-changed

It says "Snake was under heavy fire and taking life-threatening damage, which Ground Zeroes visualized with blood spatters hitting the camera lens. Snake managed to make it to cover, where he restored himself to full health. Not through the consumption of rations, mind you. Snake's health appeared to regenerate automatically."  I'm assuming it's going to be implemented like FPS games, where you get damage, and if you manage to not get hit again for a few seconds, you regain full HP.  I'm not sure how accurate or how the author of this article meant to word this, but I'm going to wait to see for myself.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »

Ah, I'm not sure I like the sound of that either. It could take away some of the incentive to get through areas undetected if being damaged is something you can easily shake off.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »

Many people are claiming that this game will become casual.  Let's just hope for the best and I think we'll be surprised, regardless...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »

Not like Rations were a rational way to explain how one recovers from walking over electrified floors and so on.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2013, 06:51:39 PM »

Not like Rations were a rational way to explain how one recovers from walking over electrified floors and so on.

LOL

Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »

I HATE JAM SCREEN! A simple health bar is a way more effective way to communicate damage. I'm just hoping that the regeneration is slower than it sounds in the article.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »

You know. I wonder why they didn't go for more streamlined approach of the healing system in MGS3, but with the visual representation of your character preparing medicine and treating his wounds, like in The Last of Us for example.

The general idea has practically always been that consuming rations recovers stamina even though the description in-game says that is to recover life (and psyche in MGS4).

There are also bandages in MGS2 to stop bleeding. The way that worked though was more tied to not being detected by soldiers if you leave droplets of blood behind.

---

(source)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:35:56 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »

The general idea has practically always been that consuming rations recovers stamina even though the description in-game says that is to recover life (and psyche in MGS4).

There are also bandages in MGS2 to stop bleeding. The way that worked though was more tied to not being detected by soldiers if you leave droplets of blood behind.

I take it that you've never read Worlds of Power before, have you?

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »

No, why should I care?
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »

I really don't think Kojima will mess up his own series?  Of course, I'm sure people will say otherwise (Look at MGS2, which I also disagree)

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »

^The only thing that MGS2 ruined for a long time was the understanding of the series among fans. There's a reason also why MGS2 is called as being a "postmodern video game".

Critical Close-up: Metal Gear Solid 2

Driving Off the Map: A Formal Analysis of Metal Gear Solid 2 by James Clinton Howell, July 2007
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2013, 05:00:22 PM »

No, why should I care?

Because now I have to explain the joke to you.

The joke being that the author of that particular series of books 'attempted' to rationalize certain aspects of videogame logic like how rations helped you get through the electrified floor gauntlet at the end of the original Metal Gear by saying that Snake was able to pass through the hazard relatively unscathed because the floor was PG-fied down to a heated floor that was too hot to touch normally and only by altering his core body temperature via pigging out on rations was Snake able to bypass the trap without getting hurt (no dying, because again, PG-fied).

Basically, its an amazingly amusing effort at trying to rationalize videogame logic which is a fools errand to begin with as videogame logic is what keeps videogames from being simulations. And the point I was trying to make is that trying to say that one form of videogame mechanics is less logical than another isn't entirely a merit-less argument but it is a silly one.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: