Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:02:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Summon Night Series
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Summon Night Series  (Read 896 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:54:31 PM »

So I watched this new trailer for the Summon Night series, the 5th game which is coming to the Vita ans I though it does look pretty nice.
This is a series for me that seems to have always flow under the radar. I kind of heard about it, but nothing more than that, until I did some research just now I thought this series was exclusive to the DS.

Anyway, since I saw the trailer and got interested, anyone here has any sort of experience with this series?

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »

I liked the two they released for the GBA.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:34:58 PM »

Same here. They were decent fun. Nothing spectacular, but well worth the playthroughs I gave them.

I was under the impression that the main series were competant-to-good SRPGs that rarely did anything to advance the genre, but at least managed to follow the established tropes and conventions pretty well. That's just an observation, though, I've never actually played the main series games.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »

Ditto x3

Never played the one for the DS that was released here in the states. The only thing about the 2nd of the two gba summon night games was that my character felt a heck of a lot more sluggish than the 1st; needless to say I put half my points in speedy and the rest in attack (save a couple in defense, just in case). Very pleasant series.

Also, this is Summon Night 2 in a nutshell with its dialogue:

(and yes, that's directed at you)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:25 AM »

One thing I would like to point out is that none of the main games have left Japan. The two GBA ones are Tales of-like knockoffs and the DS one is a semi-decent dungeon crawling ARPG (which is twice as good as Children of Mana which in of itself is only twice as good as From the Abyss which consists of basic RPGMaker level gameplay with literally nothing else going for it).

The main games though are SRPGs and have been floating around since the PSX days. And if I recall correctly, the closest thing we got to a Flight Plan (the former Summon Night developers) SRPG was Eternal Poison on the PS2 (which is a fairly decent SRPG that suffers from obfuscated mechanics and a rampant need to 100% every map to stay ahead of the curve (much like Covenant of the Plume does), which is made all the more difficult/annoying due to the obfuscated mechanics; at least the artwork and character designs don't suck like usual).

Also should point out that a while back some people on this board were raving about Dragon Shadow Spell which is another Flight Plan SRPG (and more apparently related to the Summon Night series with its awful character designs). Haven't played it myself but it might be worth looking into.

Also also, the character designs of these games are generally awful (generally speaking its like they take early 2000's era generic anime designs then take them the wrong way).

That said:

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: