Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 08:49:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340923 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New pick ups (curious about opinions)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New pick ups (curious about opinions)  (Read 2568 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2013, 09:04:48 PM »

So I went out to a few different stores and picked up a few games. Firstly I picked up a Xbox 360 controller because I didn't even have one anymore. For my recent interest in western style RPG's I picked up Dark Souls for Xbox 360 and I couldn't resist I picked up Eternal Sonata because I've been interested in this game for a while. The last game I picked up was Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne for Playstation 2 the first SMT game I've ever had but still haven't played yet. Any opinions on these? All were less then $20 I'm pretty sure except the controller of course lol
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »

Probably some decent deals.  Plenty of people like those games, so I think you're gonna have fun.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:33 PM »

Eternal Sonata I played for about 10 hours before never going back to it. It's got awesome art and good graphics, but beyond that I wasn't too enthralled.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »

It also has some of the most hilariously drawn out death montages out there.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »

Eternal Sonata I played for about 10 hours before never going back to it. It's got awesome art and good graphics, but beyond that I wasn't too enthralled.

I, on the other hand, loved every second of Eternal Sonata. Not only is it endowed with catchy battle music, characters who suffer from rigor mortis in the arms, and almost everything named after musical instruments/topics, but the story is happening durring Chopin's final hours.

Usually when it comes to early-mid Romantic era, I usually study Chopin's music and read his letters (I usually read the letter of composers to get an idea of their character and comments on other people/music). Because of this, I appreciate how unlike Chopin he is in the game. If you play this game to hear another recording of Chopin's beautiful piano music and snipits about the origin of those pieces at the end of chapters, you're in luck!

I'm still waiting for my sequel starring Franz Liszt...going to call this now: Final Boss is Paganini; Secret final boss is Wagner.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 10:19:05 PM by Wild Armor » Logged

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:18:28 PM »

It also has some of the most hilariously drawn out death montages out there.

I saw it and went "ok, I'm done with this." and never touched it again.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:32:54 PM »

I'm still waiting for my sequel starring Franz Liszt...going to call this now: Final Boss is Paganini; Secret final boss is Wagner.

I'll admit that the idea of an anime JRPG starring Wagner is something I'd get behind.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 11:47:49 PM »

I'll admit that the idea of an anime JRPG starring Wagner is something I'd get behind.

The Final Stage is Valhalla, which is only accessible after beating each of his Music dramas (operas), which creates a rainbow bridge to reach the castle. It'll play like Ocarina of Time.

That's one, Tri-crescendo...I'll be expecting my checks soon.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:52:13 AM »

Eternal Sonata has a few improvements (a couple extra dungeons and new playable character iirc) on the PS3 version.
I only got a few hours into it because of my backlog, but it seems pretty likable.
Unable to comment on Dark Souls, and good luck with Nocturne

That's one, Tri-crescendo...I'll be expecting my checks soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 06:52:24 AM »

Only one of those three that I have played is Eternal Sonata (PS3 version). I am very meh on the game. It seemed like an interesting concept, but I just could not get into it. It has been a few years since I played it, so I can't recall what I disliked about it. I think I just didn't find myself drawn into the storyline enough to care about anything happening, but I'm not completely sure.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »

For the love of god, play Nocturne right now.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 06:08:15 PM »

Unfortunately I had to return Dark Souls and Eternal Sonata because of financial reasons....this sucks but I wasn't going to start them at any point soon I just like having games in my collection. I know that they are relatively cheap and not hard to find at least that's what I keep telling myself to make myself feel better. At least I still have Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection (For Shining Force and all the other great Sega games not on the Sega Genesis Collection, The Sega Genesis was my first console) Pokemon White Version Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and Star Ocean The Last Hope....games that are not as good as the other two but those are the reasons I keep giving myself to make myself feel better lol. Any suggestions to raise my mood? lol
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »

Suggestions?

Get a better job so you can afford more games.

~or~

Be better with your money so you don't have to return shit after you buy it.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »

Yoda:

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:40:26 PM »

I'm currently unemployed and looking for a job and if only I could say where all my money goes....
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: