Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 05:57:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331655 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Shadow of the Colossus
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shadow of the Colossus  (Read 3664 times)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2006, 09:21:41 PM »

So, I started playing this game yesterday. I was fairly excited, everything seemed so cool about it.
I beat two colossi yesterday, but I can't help but feel a bit sour after taste.
For one, are the controls clumsy! Controlling the camera sucks - it seems camera work has been getting worse with each new game, which opposes all kinds of evolutionary logic. Controls are generally unresponsive, and jumping is just a sore - although riding your horse is almost as bad. Jumping and climbing the colossi might be an exercise of patience. I could say more, but suffice to say they just suck.
By the screenshots of the game, the graphics looked just superb, but seeing they in motion, they are bland, blocky and grainy, and lack color. If I was a graphic-whore, I might had stopped playing the game right away - for the disappointment alone.
Gladly the premise of the game is original enough to save it. Great concept, and I am curious to see how it ends.
Plus, the battles are just epic. Finding those HUGE beasts, and then hearing the great orchestral score starting to play, just pumps me to battle.
I am sure I will play it to completion, and I suppose the overall experience will just improve from now.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:25:10 PM »

Ultimately most of those complaints can be attributed to the game's premise: Entirely new, and honestly jumping around on a collossus isn't going to be easy. The controls aren't as refined as they coudl be, but at the same time I think it lends to the game's style: You're trying to climb up a giant, afterall. Plus you adjust to it over time and it practically becomes second nature.

Pretty good game though, yeah.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:27:11 PM »

I think more than anything the control scheme differs from what is generally used for PS2 games. I had no problem adjusting myself, but that's just me.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 03:16:20 AM »

Uhh, I thought the game was gorgeous. Controls I also had no qualms with either; like Eusis said, you're trying to climb a huge fricking mammoth creature. It's not going to be as responsive as a Mario game.

But that's maybe because I'm a fanboy. This and ICO are easily my favorite PS2 games.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 06:37:16 AM »

I loved Shadow of the Colossus. As the others have said, you get so used to the controls that you'll forget you ever found them awkward! OK, so the camera still won't be great, but you can't have everything! :P

Stick with it, you have some seriously incredible battles ahead of you.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 09:24:21 AM »

SOTC is easily one of the best games on the PS2. I LOVED it. I thought the graphics were fantastic. I felt the color scheme worked really well for the theme.
The controls are "wonky" at first, but you really do get used to them. Same with the camera.
The epic feel of the battles is second to none.
Great game.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 05:43:38 PM »

i love this game too, i think the controls are ok and the camara you have a joystick for move it 360 grades and one botton for reset it ,what cameras u need more? xD

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 01:16:14 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"
SOTC is easily one of the best games on the PS2. I LOVED it. I thought the graphics were fantastic. I felt the color scheme worked really well for the theme.
The controls are "wonky" at first, but you really do get used to them. Same with the camera.
Great game.

Add the word fuck once or twice, and that's very similar to what I'd type. :P  I love everything about that game, particularly the wide fields.  I have a hard-on for open spaces.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 11:01:28 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
Quote from: "GrimReality"
Great game.

Add the word fuck once or twice, and that's very similar to what I'd type. :P  I love everything about that game, particularly the wide fields.  I have a hard-on for open spaces.

Hey, Daaaaggg....get over here, man!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »

I like to think of the controls as an extension of Wanda's fighting ability; untested and somewhat awkward. The further you play, the less awkward it becomes. Towards the middle, the controls had become second-nature.

The colossi battles were spectacular and the isolated atmosphere compliments the mostly barren landscape. Just a boy and his horse.

Bonus! Here's a pic of the new SOTC trading figures coming out next year. I can't wait for the First Colossus statue that should be out by the end of this year.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 08:13:41 AM »

...me wants those figures.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 03:23:05 AM »

I oh yeah one outstanding game...SCEA I jsut love it. that is after I played it.
I had the game when it was released. I did not try it out at the time. regret that I did not play at that time...

god is god
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 10:17:11 AM »

Great game... bringing down a colossi feels like a big accomplishment. That said, ICO was a lot better IMO. That game blew my mind when I played it. It's the only game I ever paid full price for, beat in one day, and STILL didn't feel ripped off.
SatelliteFenrir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are two of the best games on the PS2, if not any console. In my opinion, of course.

I never had any trouble with the controls. I think they worked fine. =/ Oh well.

But yeah, great great game.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 02:06:15 AM »

fuck ps2 id say SotC is one of the best games of all time easily up there with OoT. if only there was a lot less gta and a lot more SotC id be a happy girl.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: