Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 01:11:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338733 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  What are some good (free) antivirus and protection programs for PC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What are some good (free) antivirus and protection programs for PC?  (Read 2394 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »

My dad is on a mission to ruin a brand new laptop he just bought, and I need to prevent this because I'm not wasting another 400 bucks on a laptop because he of his stupidity and stubborness to do the correct thing. I need something that will prevent him from opening contaminated crap, especially since his stupid fucking ass won't stop using internet explorer. Honestly, I'd like to just take the laptop and sell it so he doean't lose money, but he needs it for "programming" certain devices like vc codecs, sound matrixes, and other similar items. I use the term programming loosely because it mostly requires an rs232 connection or a straight network connection to push programming from the laptop, which is usually just sent from another company or the device manufacturer.

Anything suggested is appreciated.

TASTY!
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »

I have been using this site for years, always had good luck with their recommendations

Everything's Eventual
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »

I've been spybot search and destroy, malwarebyte anti-malware, and avg.

I haven't had any issues and my lappy runs fine and you KNOW I visit some very blue sites.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 11:13:56 PM »

I've been spybot search and destroy, malwarebyte anti-malware, and avg.

I haven't had any issues and my lappy runs fine and you KNOW I visit some very blue sites.
That was exactly what I used on my pc before I gave up on it. Don't get me wrong, not saying they didn't work, it's just my pc was in a bad way before I got it.

Turns out his friend is gonna set him up with a security suite from I think he said eset or something along those lines. He swears by it, so whatever, let them have at it.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:12 AM »

I used Avast and Avira on various systems. Avira has a once-a-night pop-up ad in the free version so I prefer Avast. They're both reputable though.

My experience with AVG was that it was a memory hog with a rather poor detection rate. Although maybe the detection rate was fine, I don't know, it tended to kill my system whenever I did virus scans so I had to disable a lot of stuff.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:10:29 AM »

Avast is great, I've been using it for years
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:08:36 AM »

Agree on Avast. I also use Spybot and MalwareBytes. Never had any issues with my pc (as far as I know, anyway :P).

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »

Thanks for the input guys, you basically reinforced my own opinion on what I should use. I'm set for when (if) I get a new gaming pc now. The old man and his buddy can play with the laptop all they like.

TASTY!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 03:21:02 AM »

Ad-Aware is another good one

www.lavasoft.com
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »

I fell in love with Avira to the point that I keep the $50 premium version on my computer. And I keep MWB in the rare case that something does get through.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: