Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2015, 11:31:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362829 Posts in 14728 Topics by 2285 Members
Latest Member: Moseng
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  TV shows axed too soon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: TV shows axed too soon  (Read 429 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 06:49:29 AM »

As for the the topic at hand, ReBoot. There's a show that's now impossible to resolve in a satisfying manner (rip Tony Jay).

I'm also still waiting for the actual third season of Gargoyles (unless I'm miscounting and there was only the one season).

Speaking of Reboot, it is getting a sequel series...which is going to have scenes using CGI and scenes using real life actors.

There was a third season of Gargoyles. Unfortunately (?) it is not available on DVD and for w/e reason it seems unlikely we will be getting season 3 on DVD anytime soon. Then again it took nearly 8 years for the second half of season 2 to end up on DVD, so who knows. *shrug* I'm not sure if I ever saw anything in season 3 or not personally as it changed channels and writing teams between seasons.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »

Season 3 of gargoyles (or what was made before being canceled) was complete garbage though.
I saw them on TV and they just felt so off and bad.
Nobody would buy those DVDs.

My favorite one is when Goliath goes to the government and starts militating for gargoyles rights.
*shivers*
Tooker
Administrator

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »

Reaper.... brisco county junior.

I think you may be the only person I know other than me who even knows those shows existed.  I definitely agree in the case of Reaper.  Can't remember well enough where Brisco left off to say if it got canceled too early.  If you like it, though, you might try to find Jack of All Trades, which also starred Bruce Campbell.  It's a piratey show, but it's got some of that same feel.  It didn't last long either, but hey, it's something. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »

But the first that came to my mind was the "nu" He-Man (the 2002-2003 one) was nixed too soon.  It never finished its second season (so it's left hanging) and the third season was slated to resolve a huge plot thread.  I understand why it was nixed (slow toy sales and low ratings), but that's really too bad because it was a darn good show.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the crap out of cheeseball campy 1980s He-Man (because it's nostalgia and my childhood), but the 2002-2003 He-Man was a very good re-imagining of the concept, had stronger storylines, less camp, and provided much-needed backstories on several characters with much improved character designs.  (on a completely unrelated note, I couldn't quite get into "nu" Thundercats.  Maybe I'll give it another change, but man I was NOT feeling nu Cheetara's design.

Huge agree! I loved that show, and was so bummed when it was cancelled. I rewatched it a few years ago and it still holds up quite well.

"Selfie", ruined by a shite title was a gem that was really shining just as it was given up on.  Particularly rare, was a leading Asian male teamed with gorgeous Dr Who alumni Karen Gillan.  However, and most importantly, who wouldn't want to see what Ginger-Korean babies look like?  Not my top pick, but eh.

I also really enjoyed Selfie. It was a little shakey getting started but was really starting to hit its stride when it was cancelled.

Erm....Sonic SatAM?

Arg! That cliffhanger! Back when it was on, I didn't really understand the whole cancellation of TV programs thing, so I didn't understand when it disappeared the following season. I was really, really disappointed. I would wake up at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday to watch it. At least the Archie comic series carried on (and is STILL ongoing). I haven't read them in years, but they kept me satisfied when I began to understand that the show wasn't coming back.

Speaking of 90s cartoons that were canned, I was a big fan of the Ocean Production Mega Man series. For some reason it was on Sunday morning really early where I lived, so I had to wake up early on Sundays too! The animation was a healthy mix of anime and American styles, and I think it prepared me for the anime revolution that came a few years later. One of the reasons I stuck with DBZ when I first started watching it was because the VA of Goku was the same VA from this Mega Man series. The only problem that I have with this series looking back on it now is that it tried to empower Roll to be a more active participant in the action (which is good!), but they did so by having her only real weapon being a vacuum cleaner attached to her arm (which is bad!).

It had pretty killer Mega Man sounding music too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufVQIUEiYc
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 12:11:47 PM »

Reaper.... brisco county junior.

I think you may be the only person I know other than me who even knows those shows existed.  I definitely agree in the case of Reaper.  Can't remember well enough where Brisco left off to say if it got canceled too early.  If you like it, though, you might try to find Jack of All Trades, which also starred Bruce Campbell.  It's a piratey show, but it's got some of that same feel.  It didn't last long either, but hey, it's something. :)

~ Bruce Campbell basically mailed the entire Jack of All Trades series in.  I liked the idea (THE DARING DRAGOON!), but he was all fat and sloppy by then and wasn't anywhere near his Ash Williamsy best.  It wasn't even "so bad it's good" it was more "so bad it's sad".

~ Bert "Sock" Wysocki (from Reaper) is one of the greatest comedic television characters no one has ever heard of.  That goofball made me laugh out loud at least a dozen times per episode. Tyler Labine really deserves more credit for being hilarious than he's gotten (Tucker and Dale vs Evil being awesome notwithstanding of course)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 12:15:40 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »

@Jimmy I vaguely recall the Mega Man cartoon, and that opening is definitely one of the things I remember most.

The worst part is I was a big fan of the Archie Sonic comic for a while, yet still I'll never get to see Sonic's story end, nor do I even care to see it in its current form anymore...

Also I know you're totally talking about Sonic X don't you dare bring that up DAMN YOU!!!!

Fortunately for me, Sonic X and Sonic Xtreme are two different things.

The latter, Xtreme, was out in the late 90s, featured SatAM Sonic getting schooled from overrelying on his new found super speed, then getting pointed to the rest of his Dragon Quest 2 party siblings, while having to start a new quest to save their space queen mother, using the power of metal to rawk out in a way that somehow didn't add up to an experience that was so bad that it looped back to badical, it was just mediocre since it went nowhere fast and got canned after like 5-10 episodes (and was watched by like only 10 people, myself included).

Oh, you mean Sonic Underground? Yeah, I never actually watched that, but I heard it was weird.

...no wait, I think I did see an episode of that when I was little. It was really confusing, especially since I didn't realize that SatAM, Advetures of Sonic The Hedgehog, and Sonic Underground were all different shows...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 05:25:45 PM »

^Yeah that. Looks like we both had something wrong.

As for the the topic at hand, ReBoot. There's a show that's now impossible to resolve in a satisfying manner (rip Tony Jay).

I'm also still waiting for the actual third season of Gargoyles (unless I'm miscounting and there was only the one season).

Speaking of Reboot, it is getting a sequel series...which is going to have scenes using CGI and scenes using real life actors.

There was a third season of Gargoyles. Unfortunately (?) it is not available on DVD and for w/e reason

The reason why there's no DVD of Gargoyles S3 is because there is no S3 of Gargoyles. Even the series creator has gone on record to state that there is no third season.

As for what's been happening with ReBoot, that's had an online comic that was pretty unsatisfactory (it started on the same note that Season 3 almost ended on, doom and gloom everywhere, with Megabyte running the show again, only this time its because Bob was too busy sitting on his hands like a Gundam style pacifist instead of being lost in space, which lasts up until Megabyte crossed some kind of arbitrary line which set Bob off like, again, a Gundam styled pacifist, though his Gundam style pacifistic Beam Spam Rampage got cut drastically short due to a shady cult popping up out of nowhere and instantly subduing all the viruses) and at least two announced attempts at making a movie follow up that I have yet to hear any follow up on. So yeah, I'm not expecting much.

Speaking of 90s cartoons that were canned, I was a big fan of the Ocean Production Mega Man series. For some reason it was on Sunday morning really early where I lived, so I had to wake up early on Sundays too! The animation was a healthy mix of anime and American styles, and I think it prepared me for the anime revolution that came a few years later. One of the reasons I stuck with DBZ when I first started watching it was because the VA of Goku was the same VA from this Mega Man series. The only problem that I have with this series looking back on it now is that it tried to empower Roll to be a more active participant in the action (which is good!), but they did so by having her only real weapon being a vacuum cleaner attached to her arm (which is bad!).

It had pretty killer Mega Man sounding music too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufVQIUEiYc

I was thinking about adding the Ruby Spears Mega Man series to my list, but it ended on a well enough note with Mega X (though one more season would've meant having just that much more comedy gold come from this goofy trainwreck).

I guess I'll add some of the various Street Fighter 2 series, specifically the series that gave us this.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 07:08:57 AM »

The reason why there's no DVD of Gargoyles S3 is because there is no S3 of Gargoyles. Even the series creator has gone on record to state that there is no third season.

As for what's been happening with ReBoot, that's had an online comic that was pretty unsatisfactory (it started on the same note that Season 3 almost ended on, doom and gloom everywhere, with Megabyte running the show again, only this time its because Bob was too busy sitting on his hands like a Gundam style pacifist instead of being lost in space, which lasts up until Megabyte crossed some kind of arbitrary line which set Bob off like, again, a Gundam styled pacifist, though his Gundam style pacifistic Beam Spam Rampage got cut drastically short due to a shady cult popping up out of nowhere and instantly subduing all the viruses) and at least two announced attempts at making a movie follow up that I have yet to hear any follow up on. So yeah, I'm not expecting much.
Just because it was bad doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And the Reboot "sequel" is going to be about kids who discover they are the next generation of Guardians in the network, not a conclusion to series. Basically it sounds more Code Lyoko than Reboot. I already expect it to be horrible.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

Just because it was bad doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And the Reboot "sequel" is going to be about kids who discover they are the next generation of Guardians in the network, not a conclusion to series. Basically it sounds more Code Lyoko than Reboot. I already expect it to be horrible.

Way to miss

As for the movie rebooting ReBoot, it would've been a neat idea 10 years ago when shows like Adventure Time and Teen Titans Go didn't exist and make stuff like a Zelda 1 reference/parody episode, but nowadays, the 'make jokes based upon older/obscure pop/nerd culture' genre is kinda really crowded at the moment and that was one of the things oldskool ReBoot used to do really well.

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 08:21:52 AM »

(on a completely unrelated note, I couldn't quite get into "nu" Thundercats.  Maybe I'll give it another chance, but man I was NOT feeling nu Cheetara's design.)  

I decided to get over myself and give nu Thundercats another shot and watched some episodes of it.  That show is really good and I'll add it to my list of shows canned prematurely.  Apparently its story arc was planned for 52 episodes, but it got the axe after only 26.  I think what got the nostalgia fanboy in me was that it deviated so far from the 1980s original and was a different animal entirely; like with Pumyra being a villain this time around.  On the other hand,  nu He-Man took the 1980s series and turned all of its jumbled continuity storylines into something truly cohesive.  But when I decided not to let childish nostalgia cloud my mind and accept nu Thundercats for what it is, I can dig this tiger's new stripes.  

So, yeah, nu He-Man and nu Thundercats are my picks for "shows axed too soon."  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:33:45 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I have nothing funny to say.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »

I never saw the original He-Man, but the remake/reboot in the 2000's was really, really good, IIRC. I don't recall it getting axed, though. I mean, I never got to see its ending, but I thought I just missed it...I thought it looked like it was getting close...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2015, 12:27:45 PM »

Nu He-Man was axed after 2 seasons and was just getting warmed up.  I don't recall if the season 2 story arc came to a resolution, but either way there were still a TON of hanging plot threads for new seasons to tie up.  If I am to believe speculation, the proposed season 3 was supposed to be the arc about
Code:
Teela finding out that Sorceress is her mother
and further speculation was that season 4 would introduce
Code:
Adam's twin sister Adora, who's She-Ra.

And from what I've gathered, nu Thundercats ended with a massive cliffhanger since the story arc was planned for 52 eps instead of 26. 

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »

Constantine- I don't think it really got a fair shake. It wasn't the best show, but they could have done a lot with it if they had some better actors.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:32:45 PM by Daggerstrike » Logged

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2015, 07:57:04 PM »

ASIDE: Sometimes I wonder how much of it is the actor and how much of it is the director.  For example, Hayden Christensen's acting was not very convincing in Star Wars (directed by George Lucas), but he acted very well in Shattered Glass (directed by Billy Ray).  And we all know Natalie Portman's an excellent actress, but Lucas's directing did not bring out her best in Star Wars. 

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »

Constantine- I don't think it really got a fair shake. It wasn't the best show, but they could have done a lot with it if they had some better actors.

I said the same thing about The Librarian.

Well that, and if it actually had a budget, or a director worth a drat.

To be frank, it was not a good show.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: