Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 03, 2015, 04:44:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363035 Posts in 14733 Topics by 2288 Members
Latest Member: Wallflower
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 481502 times)
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4230 on: July 09, 2015, 11:31:42 AM »

Slacker - THE MOST RICHARD LINKLATER THING THAT RICHARD LINKLATER HAS EVER DONE.  It oozes stream of consciousness and is basically just 100 non-sequiturs strung together with clever and semi-clever transitions in between.  The movie is ostensibly about youth culture in Austin, Texas in the early 90's, but really I think it mostly served as a mouthpiece for Linklater to share his views on the world.  Think of it as very similar to Waking Life, except without the beautiful rotoscoping and with the death allegory switched out in favor of teenage politics (and sometimes REAL politics through the eyes of an unemployed early 20's ne'er-do-well). and also, there are A LOT more of Madonna's pubes.

I DID enjoy the film, and I am convinced that I would have been obsessed with it if I had first watched it when I was much younger (and before I'd seen Linklater's more polished work later on).  You've still got to give the guy credit for making something this deep (and new, at the time) at such a young age (he was 31 when it came out in 1991).  It's no "A Scanner Darkly", but if you like Richard Linklater and haven't seen Slacker before it's at least worth giving a chance.

Full disclosure: I'm not even completely sure if this movie is better or worse than Waking Life because I can't remember actually seeing that movie when I wasn't on some form of intense psychedelic. 

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4231 on: July 09, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »

Went to see Inside Out a few nights ago. I found it pretty enjoyable and often funny with plenty of touching moments. I loved the vibrancy of the colors, and the inner world of the mind setup. It allowed for a lot of creativity.

But I don't know. It just didn't seem as interesting narratively as other Pixar movies. I guess because it was formulaic in the fact that a kid moves to a new place and acts emo.

My favorite parts though were when you get to see inside the emotions of other people (plus the little bonuses of the dogs and cats at the end). I loved the bits with the dad's emotions, and the pre-teen boy at the end especially.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4232 on: July 09, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »

Went to see Inside Out a few nights ago. I found it pretty enjoyable and often funny with plenty of touching moments. I loved the vibrancy of the colors, and the inner world of the mind setup. It allowed for a lot of creativity.

But I don't know. It just didn't seem as interesting narratively as other Pixar movies. I guess because it was formulaic in the fact that a kid moves to a new place and acts emo.

My favorite parts though were when you get to see inside the emotions of other people (plus the little bonuses of the dogs and cats at the end). I loved the bits with the dad's emotions, and the pre-teen boy at the end especially.

Yeah, I found it too formulaic, and like I said, it's bad enough the plot is also a sort-of redux of Toy Story where a few people get lost from the group.  Cartoons and Disney really gotta stop the "feeling sorry for myself" schtick that occupies a boring amount of screen time.  But I still thought it was a clever film and the emotional bits hit well.

And I thought the part of seeing the emotion of other people was clever too --- especially with respect to the "leading emotion" in each person.  Mum has 'sadness' at the head of the table, dad has 'anger', I think the cat was fear, the dog was joy, and the random teen had disgust, IIRC.  Super clever and, yeah my favourite bit.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
OrsonFury

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4233 on: July 09, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »

Terminator Genisys - Decent movie. Awesome special effects/CGI. Arnold. My only complaint was the confusing timeline discussions they had arguing over which year to go back to or forward in time to stop Skynet.

Whiplash - Wow. Intense movie. Acting and editing was top notch. I can see why it won so many awards. I didn't really know the main actor, Miles Teller before this film, but now I do and it looks like his next staring role will be as Mr. Fantastic in the upcoming Fantastic Four reboot coming out next month. I'm a drummer myself, so I could relate to the whole band stopping to stare at me for being off tempo or some odd cymbal fill in awkward long dramatic pauses when I was one of the top spots in percussion in middle school advanced orchestra band. I got a conductor's wand thrown at me but thankfully never a chair or a drum kicked or thrown down or yelling directly in my face. I admire the crazy dedication the actor did for his role, practicing many hours a day and playing until his fingers bleed. Blisters be damned!

I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla... you will ride eternal, shiny and chrome! - Immortan Joe (Mad Max: Fury Road)
natros
Yes, I Cannabis!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4234 on: July 14, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »

Interstellar - I've always been into all that has to do with everything outside of our earthly "borders", so I enjoyed this movie. However, similar to my thing with Wreck it Ralph, I would have liked to have seen more interaction with different worlds. I think they could have weakened gravity's effects on time (within the movie) to allow that. There was too much story to get their point across, IMO. He's been gone a long-ass time, and his kids turned out they way they did because of it. It was for the good of mankind, though. Point taken. Now, more crazy planetary stuff, please. Those are minor complaints in the end, though. Of course it's their movie, and this is just my taste. It's still a good movie, and I liked it.

I was not expecting

Didn't know he was in it.

Frozen - Finally got around to seeing this. Took me a while, cuz you know, I'm a dude. Anyway, I liked it. Good story and voice acting. I like the twist on the whole "kiss from a true love" thing.
A little too much singing for my taste, but it didn't kill the movie for me (as was the case with Hunchback of Notre Dame). Kinda funny and simultaneously sad that the whole thing could have been avoided if the sisters' parents hadn't been such inept, shameful twats. The movie kept my son's attention throughout (a rarity these days), so I guess that says something. I can see why little girls everywhere were all about this one.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4235 on: July 14, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »

Terminator Genisys: horrible.  laughably horrible in fact (I laughed A LOT at the drive in watching this).  There was too much wrong with this film to accurately describe on an internet forum, but what stood out most was Emelia Clarke not being able to properly decide on which American accent she wanted to stick with the entire movie and J.K. Simmons' (the best actor in the film by a mile) character literally having no purpose what-so-ever. You could very easily have cut every one of his scenes out and it wouldn't have changed the plot one iota.  At one point in the film, he gets shot, falls on the ground, isn't deemed important enough for Skynet/evil robot guy to pursue further and then, in a moment of either supreme lucidity and self awareness (or utter idiocy and lack of fucks to give) he gets up and walks out the door AND IS NEVER SEEN OR MENTIONED AGAIN.  It was as if Simmons had a contract that stipulated EXACTLY how many minutes/scenes he was going to be on screen and at the exact second he'd met his quota he just up and left.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:15:59 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

natros
Yes, I Cannabis!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4236 on: July 15, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »

Pain & Gain - Excellent dark comedy. Admittedly, I was skeptical going in. The other recent movie starring Marky Mark and directed by Michael Bay is anything but a good movie IMO. However, P&G was done well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good blend of humor and fucked up shit. Highly recommended, if you enjoy movies like True Romance and Very Bad Things.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4237 on: July 15, 2015, 12:21:58 PM »

Pain & Gain - Excellent dark comedy. Admittedly, I was skeptical going in. The other recent movie starring Marky Mark and directed by Michael Bay is anything but a good movie IMO. However, P&G was done well. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good blend of humor and fucked up shit. Highly recommended, if you enjoy movies like True Romance and Very Bad Things.

You lost me at Michael Bay.  The only movie I've ever liked of his was "The Rock". 

natros
Yes, I Cannabis!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4238 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:40 PM »

The Rock is my favorite Bay film. Can't tell you how many times I watched it as a teenager.
If you haven't seen P&G, don't automatically disregard it, simply based on the director. I dare say Bay did a good job here. Best he's done in years, IMO. It's a different flavor than the mindless action crap he's churned out in the last decade or so. It got crap reviews because most people don't like how raw and gory it is, and the fact that it's a comedy (of sorts) that's based upon a really messed up series of real life events. Not because it's a terrible film (which it isn't).
It's on Netflix's streaming service. Well worth a look.

EDIT:

Oldboy (OG version) - Wow. Crazy, and good. A few minor things didn't seem to make sense (maybe they weren't supposed to), but overall, an excellent film. Great acting, and lots of excellently devious twists and turns. It's insane how increasingly f-ed up everything gets before the movie ends. Very well done on all accounts.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:01:22 AM by natros » Logged
natros
Yes, I Cannabis!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4239 on: July 23, 2015, 11:40:11 AM »

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - Almost didn't bother with this one, as I didn't enjoy Rise very much. I mean, Rise is OK. It's just that I wasn't that enthused for a sequel.
Well, I'm glad I checked this one out. Shot by a different (I'm also going to say "better") director, Dawn is miles above Rise. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good story; effective suspense; and a lot of heart (without being too cheesy). I'm looking forward to the next one: War.
Also, a note to computer-based special effects companies out there: This is how you do it.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4240 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

Watched It Follows-I thought it was so bad I found myself wondering-How could anyone enjoy this movie and think it is in anyway scary? I can understand how most movies can cater to different tastes, but nothing about this struck me as scary. For anyone. The worst part for me was the music. A lot of it sounded like nails on a chalkboard. The acting was terrible. The pacing was bad. The STD creature was at no point scary. It was just not what I expected.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4241 on: July 27, 2015, 01:42:58 PM »

Oldboy (OG version) - Wow. Crazy, and good. A few minor things didn't seem to make sense (maybe they weren't supposed to), but overall, an excellent film. Great acting, and lots of excellently devious twists and turns. It's insane how increasingly f-ed up everything gets before the movie ends. Very well done on all accounts.

I love the Vengeance Trilogy.

Now watch the Spike Lee version and weep over the carcass of what was once a great film making career.

BLEGH!

natros
Yes, I Cannabis!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4242 on: July 27, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »

I love the Vengeance Trilogy.

Now watch the Spike Lee version and weep over the carcass of what was once a great film making career.

I know better than that. Heh. 'Tis a shame, honestly. Between Lee; Brolin; and the excellent source material, you'd think it'd be halfway decent... Oh well.

I found out about the other two films in the trilogy after watching OB. Definitley going to check 'em both out.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4243 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:59 AM »

I saw Ant Man.

I liked it.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: