Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 05:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338604 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Guilty pleasure anime thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Guilty pleasure anime thread  (Read 10356 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »

We all have them.  I know the RPGFan community is a cut above the average consumer sheep and seeks out anime that's deeper, more intricate, more intellectual, etc. than normal.  Heck, I do too.  If it weren't for the RPGFan community, I wouldn't have known about Boogiepop Phantom, which is one of my all time favorite series.  

But sometimes, I like fluff.  Sometimes, I just want cotton candy.  Sometimes, I just want mindless fanservicey fun with an *ahem* "jiggle factor" that makes me go "tee hee hee" like a dorknerd who can't get laid to save his miserable little life.  In short, I have my guilty pleasures.  

Some of my guilty pleasure anime includes the Burn Up! series (I've seen the original OVA and the Burn Up! W OVAs, but have not seen Burn Up! Excess yet) and the Bakuretsu Hunter series (Carrot is too much fun and I heart the Misu sisters).  Yeah, those anime are kinda stupid, fanservicey, and not exactly "high brow" series, but they're really fun and speak to my inner 12 year-old.  I also watch Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z when they're on.  Heck, they're just plain fun;  Cell saga is my favorite DBZ story arc.  Maybe Lucky Star and K-On! could be guilty pleasures since parts of their fanbases can be a little "ehhhhhh" but I love those series.  (Well, okay, season 2 of K-On! isn't that great, but I loved season 1).  

So what are some of your guilty pleasure anime?  The ones that you almost feel like a fool to share with us or your more "anime illuminati" peers, but say, "screw it and your pompous 'tude, I like it, it makes me happy, and that's that!"  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:28:11 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »

Shuffle
Mostly dumb, until it gets genuinely interesting at about episode 12, and that ending was pretty memorable.

Chaos;Head
Really excellent horror/mystery until it drops that around episode 5 and reveals something it from early on that it made me forget about from episodes 5 to about 11, has a plot twist that blew me away in episode 10 iirc; everything else seems bland looking back on it.

I was gonna import the vn versions of these first but I already watched that last one so I decided to watch them now anyway, also to contrast them with the series above.

Steins;Gate
It really had me hooked for the last 13 or so episodes, it has an excellent english dub but the script seemed forced sometimes with nerd references, time travel element was too back and forth at times, certain characters felt underdeveloped and then they died but time travel helped develop them; very neatly woven and intricate overall.

Robotics;Notes
Only seen an episode of it so far but first impressions: beautiful/vivid scenery, characters are amusing to watch, they strike me as being really fun to spend time with.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:10:17 PM »

Cell saga is my favorite DBZ story arc.  

Just re-watched the whole frieza saga after well over a decade with no DBZ in my life. moving onto cell this evening... I am guily as charged sir!

I also love Sailor Moon and am vocal about it. I love it so much I've planned on getting a sailor moon tattoo for a long time now. Darian is the man, and sailor mars was my first (and only) cartoon crush. As a child I was disheartened by the fact I couldn't really marry ms. mars someday.

I consider Outlaw Star, Chobits, Slayers and Moon Phase to rank amongst my more favored guilty pleasures for various reasons. Moon phase was just too adorable to resist!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »

Steins;Gate

How can you call Steins;Gate a guilty pleasure?  Steins;Gate is just good!  There's nothing guilty about it!

I don't know, I've watched plenty of crappy shows that I knew were crap but continued to watch them anyway just because...sometimes you want a little crap.  Something stupid and cliche that let's you just turn your brain off and relax.  But most of these shows are so forgettable I've literally forgotten them...like I have a hard time actually naming titles.

I'm trying to look at what I've watched recently that would qualify.  GJ Club, probably.  OreShura for sure.  Maybe Seitokai no Ichizon, but on the other hand I think it can be genuinely pretty damn funny.  Maybe Dog Days, particularly the second season which was completely plotless and just rehashed what we already knew from the first season.  Seriously, I liked the first season OK but the second season felt like it served absolutely no purpose.

How about the second half of Swort Art Online?  Oh wait, there wasn't any pleasure there...*rimshot*!

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »

Strike Witches - I don't remember it, and usually it's the type of show that I'd hate, but I think I actually enjoyed it.

Tenjho Tenge - Seriously, the only good thing about this show was the occasional over-the-top actions scenes, but I often felt they alone were worth putting up with the lousy dialogue, confusing, half-assed story, and completely unlikeable cast for 26 episodes.

A Certain Magical Index - I'm cheating here, since I actually think it's a good show, but I've heard enough people call it generic crap that I'm willing to count it. I really like the characters, the action's cool, and I like it's little twists on usual tropes.

Guilty Crown - My latest one. It's not spectacular in any way outside of the visuals and music, yet that alone is enough to keep me going. Plus it reminds me of Code Geass with it's over-the-top shock value.

Dragonauts: The Resonance - I'm cheating again, since I actually thought this was really good when I first watched it. I have no idea why, and it's the only show I'm honestly embarassed to have ever liked.

I guess also Majestic Prince, but I don't think it quite fits...it's not that bad, nor that good...

I also refuse to be embarassed by my newfound love of Pretty Cure.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:00:06 PM »

I don't know if anyone's even heard of it but, Sumomomo Momomo (it's a real series, I swear). It's got a ton of fanservice but can get pretty hilarious at times. Though I would never watch it with someone else present.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:38:23 PM »

Chobits: and I am NOT (at least not much) ashamed to admit I love it

Demon King Daimao and Roario + Vampire: please tell no one

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!: I dare you to NOT enjoy it!

Everything's Eventual
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 10:39:07 PM »

Battle Athletes.  \m/

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »

Love Hina. I got the manga back when I was 15 and fell in love. It was my gateway manga. I thought it was the funniest shit at the time, so I followed it all the way until the end. The anime is okay, but by guilty pleasure, I refer more to the manga.

Same goes for Negima. It is fanservice city in the beginning, but it really develops into its own later on.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »

Love Hina. I got the manga back when I was 15 and fell in love. It was my gateway manga. I thought it was the funniest shit at the time, so I followed it all the way until the end. The anime is okay, but by guilty pleasure, I refer more to the manga.

Same goes for Negima. It is fanservice city in the beginning, but it really develops into its own later on.

One thing I love about the manga is how much Ken Akamatsu could fit on one page.  He drew small and made a lot happen in every chapter!

Also, I loved that it shook up the typical harem formula; the series was crazy and whacky.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »

Those who Hunt Elves.
This anime was beyond what I was expecting when the chick at best buy told me I'd get a kick out of it. It was pretty enjoyable, regardless of the goal of each episode.

Shuffle
Code:
I appreciate an anime where the guy doesn't get paired with the childhood friend or person that originally pleads their undying love to him. Loved that she began to lose it towards the end!

Fruits Basket
Shigure Sohma's english voice actor won me over his ridiculous behavior and voice. I tease my younger sisters in that "If only..." voice Shigure uses when he's acting over-dramatic about something.

I'm sure there's plenty more, but that's it for now (from what I remembered). I'm sure as more of you post so too will I remember some of the more embarrassing animes I watched.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 12:56:05 AM »

One thing I love about the manga is how much Ken Akamatsu could fit on one page.  He drew small and made a lot happen in every chapter!

Also, I loved that it shook up the typical harem formula; the series was crazy and whacky.

Love Hina is probably one of the most cloned mangas ever, and yet the clones never seem to be able to get what made it good.  They do a similar setup, but that's about it.  It's the humor and character development that keeps me coming back to Love Hina.  Even today I can still reread it and enjoy it.

One thing that really stands out about Love Hina for me is how much Keitaro grows as a person.  Sure he starts out your standard useless, wishy-washy protagonist but by the end of the manga he's practically a different person.  He doesn't just pull through and finally manage to get into the school he's been trying for, he finds a goal in life, gets serious about a relationship with Naru, etc.  Basically he gets his shit together.  It may seem trite, but I appreciate a manga in which the protagonist actually has to put some effort in to get the girl, instead of having them just fall in his lap like so many modern harem titles...

Anyway, we're talking about animes, right.  The anime was fun, but it definitely kicked the wackiness up a notch and didn't do as much plot-wise.  This is one of those you-really-have-to-read-the-manga ones for me.

Negima is an interesting series.  I'm not sure that Negima really grows that much as a person, but damn does his power level ever grow...Negima has got to be the most extreme example I can think of humble beginnings steadily leading to a truly epic (and I mean that in a sense even Maddox would agree with) conclusion.  The anime was awful, though.  Don't even bother...

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 02:45:04 AM »

I'll bite and admit to enjoying Nanoha occasionally (despite the cast bloat, the Goddammit Japan factor, and the occasional creepy pedophilia (never have I been gladder to see a fucking tournament arc in my life than in ViviD and I generally hate fucking tournament arcs since they typically go nowhere slowly and rely on stupid powerlevel bullshit dickwaving that gets invalidated as soon as the arc is over)).

I'm also enjoying Sci-fi Harry despite the show having absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever (aside from counting how many times per episode the cast mangle the characters names without saying anything else or laughing at the occasional incompatibility between eastern animation techniques, western-esque character designs, and the complete lack of a budget).

I also occasionally check out the occasional Giant Robot anime and Korean Manwha.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 11:20:51 PM »

Card Captor Sakura... :)

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 04:01:10 AM »

Go Nagai type super robots that know what they are bring a smile to my face if I'm in the right mood.

An important ingredient for me is ridiculous facial expressions.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: