Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 07:10:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329734 Posts in 13517 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Guilty pleasure anime thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Guilty pleasure anime thread  (Read 8270 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 09:53:30 PM »

Go Nagai Super Robot Shows are nothing to be Guilty about, IMO...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 04:15:00 PM »

Hmm...out of my little collection I think these three qualify as guilty pleasures (in order of smallest to largest on the GP scale):

All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku (the original 6 OVAs)- Technically I don't think the show is/was ever low enough to the 'questionable quality' bar to count but I'll toss it in these days just because the crazy title along might be enough to drive people away. As any modern show associated with such a title would be jammed full of moe-moe ralf-ralf. Love the characters, love the art from that generation (oh hand drawn coloring; what a lost art you've become...), and the humor still clicks with me to this day. Not to mention the main character has some of the best 'heroic themes' during her moments of action, ever. XD

Lost Universe- You think Slayers has a niche audience, try dipping into this pool. XD I make the comparison because it's pretty much a spiritual sequel/spin-off to Slayers Try. It's pretty much the world of Dark Star, yes, that Dark Star; with Slayers style humor (for obvious reasons) in a Sci-Fi setting rather than fantasy. I've heard a lot of complaints about the CGI due to this being one of the earlier shows to try to implement it. But to me it never cropped up often enough to be a good reason to hold it against the show. English VA cast/dialog is a reaaaaly big mixed bag but if all else fails just watch it subbed.

Grenadier- I don't even know how I got convinced to watch this show. By modern definitions I tend to abhor fanservice-centric shows that Japan puts out. The absolute irritation I get from writers feeling the need to jam in scenes full of panty shots, boob jokes, accidental gropings, protagonists so driven by their hormones that neutering them would be a mercy, ect. is so great I think it deserves a higher tier of word than simply 'pet peeve'.

But Grenadier...very strangely...manages to be a heavy-fanservice show...while doing little to none of the above. It's a bizarre beast. What moments of eye-rolling fanservice it does have is buried under likeable characters and some rather clever action scenes. (Sadly toned down due to animation limitations via budget issues but just the ideas in play alone make the show worth a watch and any lack of quality forgivable.) The music isn't half bad either. Heck I actually still listen to some of Grenadier's tracks from time to time. Which is more than I can say for the OSTs of easily 90%+ of the anime I've watched in my life. The actually plot itself comes off as rather sub-par but eh...can't win all your battles At least it has an ending. Unlike a fair number of other Japanese shows. XP
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:19:33 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »

Card Captor Sakura... :)

That show was great. I remember watching it as a kid and loved it.

I have watched some stuff that was pretty bad but stuck with it or ended up being embarrassing to watch but they are not really guilty pleasures to me. One series does come to mind though.

Aria the Animation

I love this series. It is not exactly the fastest paced show ever and nothing really happens... at all. I ended up watching every season and never regretted it for a second. The reason it is a guilty pleasure for me is the show does not really fit my personality and I will never mention I watched it to anyone I actually know.

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:48 AM »

Card Captor Sakura... :)

That show was great. I remember watching it as a kid and loved it.

I have watched some stuff that was pretty bad but stuck with it or ended up being embarrassing to watch but they are not really guilty pleasures to me. One series does come to mind though.

Aria the Animation

I love this series. It is not exactly the fastest paced show ever and nothing really happens... at all. I ended up watching every season and never regretted it for a second. The reason it is a guilty pleasure for me is the show does not really fit my personality and I will never mention I watched it to anyone I actually know.

Love this anime and its music. It really is a relaxed show with nothing too eventful happening.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »

Totally found anew guilty pleasure that I have no idea how I missed until now.

Precure. The magical girl series you wish your magical girl series was.

Not even Nanoha's combat gets this direct.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »

Aria is wonderful.

If you want something similarly relaxing I recommend the manga Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. It's about a robot girl who owns a coffee shop in the country in the future. Reading a single chapter before bed is a great way to unwind.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 10:33:39 PM »

Aria sounds delightfully breezy, almost like a "vacation" anime to help beat anime burnout.  

Dice- I remember once reading an unfavorable review of Battle Athletes, but then saw the first couple of episodes of it at a small time comic convention and rather enjoying it.  

And another aspect of why Sorcerer Hunters stokes my guilty pleasure buttons: Watching anime subtitled is the superior way to watch, but the dub has some great dialogue such as Chocolate saying: "Why do you run, darling?  Am I more woman than you can bear?" and Carrot replies: "Actually, I'd rather make love to a bear."  The subtitles don't do that.  And, surprisingly enough, the dub is actually decent.  That's a shocker since I remember 1990s ADV anime dubs sucking, so I'm pleasantly surprised that they progressively stepped up their game.  I think US release for Sorcerer Hunters was 2001.  

I can't help it.  Sorcerer Hunters is not a very good series.  I mean, it's disjointed, sometimes choppy, often tropey, kinda throws you into the middle of things from the get-go... yet I happen to really enjoy it, in spite of myself. 

And although it's an "American manga," I do hold a guilty pleasure toward Vampire Cheerleaders.  It's fluff.  It's drivel.  It's nothing really that great.  But dammit, I likes it!  http://www.vampirecheerleaders.net
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:39:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 03:13:56 AM »

I tend to go for older stuff.

Devil Man and Patlabor are two of my favourites.

Ebi Chu is also great because it's full of dirty jokes.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:27 AM »

It's interesting peoples' definitions of guilty pleasure.  Like, someone mentioned Outlaw Star.  To me, that's not a guilty pleasure series.  Okay, it may have been years ago when it was all "mainstream" and I had the mentality of an anime elitist hipster with my head shoved up my rectum.  But, truth be told, I think it's a fun series.  Sure it drags occasionally and the ending is kinda iffy, but the same could be said for a lot of other series.  Few stories can end as beautifully as Cowboy Bebop did, ne?  I know a lot of people out there are on the "Outlaw Star= poor man's Cowboy Bebop" bandwagon, but I see them as two completely different animals.  

I have to say, back when Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bebop were on TV was a solid era for televised animated programming.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:06:19 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 10:10:52 AM »

Grenadier

No need to feel guilty about Grenadier. Like you said, it gives off a fan-servicey impression, but there's more quality to it than that. It's nothing groundbreaking or profound, but it's a solid anime, IMO.

As for me, and speaking of fan-service,  I couldn't stop watching the first season of Sekirei once Netflix put it up. Yes, I was probably drawn to the big animated boobs dancing around every corner. However, for some reason, I was finding myself getting into a few of the characters, and the story as well. It actually seemed to get a bit interesting towards the end of the season. I know it's a silly and ridiculous titty-filled concept overall, but I enjoyed it. Now that's guilty pleasure.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »

It's interesting peoples' definitions of guilty pleasure.  Like, someone mentioned Outlaw Star.  To me, that's not a guilty pleasure series.  Okay, it may have been years ago when it was all "mainstream" and I had the mentality of an anime elitist hipster with my head shoved up my rectum.  But, truth be told, I think it's a fun series.  Sure it drags occasionally and the ending is kinda iffy, but the same could be said for a lot of other series.  Few stories can end as beautifully as Cowboy Bebop did, ne?  I know a lot of people out there are on the "Outlaw Star= poor man's Cowboy Bebop" bandwagon, but I see them as two completely different animals.  

I have to say, back when Trigun, Outlaw Star, and Cowboy Bebop were on TV was a solid era for televised animated programming.

Yeah, I gotta agree with you on both points. I'm still astounded someone mentioned Patlabor, for instance. :P

Also have to agree that Outlaw Star was pretty good, and that back when shows like that were on TV was a great time for anime. A part of me misses it something fierce.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:49 PM »

think that for some people watching anime at all is a 'guilty pleasure'.  At least that's the only way I can understand some of the suggestions in this thread ;)

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »

Dragon Ball Z. I was a huge DBZ fan back in the day, and occasionally still watch it now. It is popular to hate on, but without it most  Shounen wouldn't exist.

Hen Zemi - Weird, raunchy, hilarious. Won't win any best anime awards but it had me laughing. (do not even think of watching if you can't handle toilet humor)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 11:43:40 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »

I really, really like Vandread even though it gets really stupid sometimes. And the nurse is just an awful character.

I also enjoy some ecchi shows when they really aren't that good. Highschool DxD and Asobi Ni Ikuyo/Bombshells from the Sky/Cat Planet Cuties (three official titles) for having some good ideas and well animated fight scenes, mixed in with absurd fanservice that drags the series down to guilty-pleasure level.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 12:14:28 AM »

I really, really like Vandread even though it gets really stupid sometimes. And the nurse is just an awful character.

I also enjoy some ecchi shows when they really aren't that good. Highschool DxD and Asobi Ni Ikuyo/Bombshells from the Sky/Cat Planet Cuties (three official titles) for having some good ideas and well animated fight scenes, mixed in with absurd fanservice that drags the series down to guilty-pleasure level.
Well in its defense Highschool DxD comes from a long line of light novel to anime conversion butcherings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: