Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 10:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329297 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Guilty pleasure anime thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Guilty pleasure anime thread  (Read 8129 times)
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 12:42:38 AM »

I looked at a translation of the DxD book. It has all the fanservice in text form. Not kidding.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 12:58:50 AM »

I looked at a translation of the DxD book. It has all the fanservice in text form. Not kidding.

Yup.  I haven't actually seen the DxD anime so I guess I can't comment on the conversion, but having read a bit of the books I'm not really sure how the anime could be any worse...

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »

...Inuyasha. It's so fucking bad....but I find that at 5am on sunday mornings...if I'm awake I tend to flip to Toonami and watch both episodes...unless I pass out first.

TASTY!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »

think that for some people watching anime at all is a 'guilty pleasure'.  At least that's the only way I can understand some of the suggestions in this thread ;)

Dragon Ball Z. I was a huge DBZ fan back in the day, and occasionally still watch it now. It is popular to hate on, but without it most  Shounen wouldn't exist.

The only way I could see DBZ being considered 'guilty pleasure' is if you only listen to the show without actually watching it.

...Inuyasha. It's so fucking bad....but I find that at 5am on sunday mornings...if I'm awake I tend to flip to Toonami and watch both episodes...unless I pass out first.

Hey man, Inuyasha had tons of potential that got utterly wasted when it all-in on the romcom formula. You just need to stick to the first season where shit actually happened and then drop it like a bad habit afterwords.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 03:05:45 PM »

Calling Inuyasha "fucking bad" sounds a bit like an exaggeration to me. And I say 'a bit' because I can see why someone would say that.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

Calling Inuyasha "fucking bad" sounds a bit like an exaggeration to me. And I say 'a bit' because I can see why someone would say that.

It fefinitely started beautifully, I loved the mix of olde Nippon and modern.  But yeah, it overstayed its welcome really, really quickly; I don't even think they tied up all the plots, from what I've heard anyways.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 04:26:08 PM »

They recently released "Inuyasha: Final Act" which wraps up the story. Really really quickly. It's 24 episodes, but it feels like it should have been more, ironically.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

Re: InuYasha.  I feel that, like other Rumiko Takahashi series, it started well and had lots of potential, but Takahashi doesn't seem to know when or how to properly end a series.  Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, all three of them were/are way too long.  According to Wikipedia, Urusei Yatsura has 195 episodes, Maison Ikkoku has 96, Ranma 1/2 has 161 and STILL hasn't been concluded in anime form, and InuYasha had 167 episodes.  That's not even counting OVAs or movies. 

Did I mention Pokemon as a guilty pleasure?  I don't watch it religiously or anything, but if it's on and I have downtime I will watch it and enjoy it.  Man, there's a show that's spawned a lot of episodes.  I think it's over 750.  I like the Diamond/Pearl saga with Dawn and the Pokemon contests, especially the story arc where Ash tries his hand at contests.  I'm kinda hoping that the flourish of the anime is what will be captured in Pokemon X and Y, especially the battles. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 05:05:00 PM »

Re: InuYasha.  I feel that, like other Rumiko Takahashi series, it started well and had lots of potential, but Takahashi doesn't seem to know when or how to properly end a series.  Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, InuYasha, all three of them were/are way too long.  According to Wikipedia, Urusei Yatsura has 195 episodes, Maison Ikkoku has 96, Ranma 1/2 has 161 and STILL hasn't been concluded in anime form, and InuYasha had 167 episodes.  That's not even counting OVAs or movies. 

I think the big difference there is that Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and Ranma 1/2 were all primarily comedies (well, romcom for Maison Ikkoku but still with a comedic bent).  Inuyasha is supposed to be this big action-adventure thing.  I find I'm much more tolerant of shows dragging on and on when they're comedies, so long as they keep the jokes coming it's OK if there isn't really a lot of character development.  But when you're trying to tell a more serious story then things need to actually, you know, happen.  Which was Inuyasha's big problem: after the initial setup (which honestly wasn't bad), nothing happened.  It was just the same old shit over and over.  No progress, no character development, nothing.  Blah.

You could probably just watch the first couple of seasons and then skip straight to the Final Act and not feel like you really missed anything...

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »

I think the big difference there is that Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, and Ranma 1/2 were all primarily comedies (well, romcom for Maison Ikkoku but still with a comedic bent).  Inuyasha is supposed to be this big action-adventure thing.  I find I'm much more tolerant of shows dragging on and on when they're comedies, so long as they keep the jokes coming it's OK if there isn't really a lot of character development.  But when you're trying to tell a more serious story then things need to actually, you know, happen.  Which was Inuyasha's big problem: after the initial setup (which honestly wasn't bad), nothing happened.  It was just the same old shit over and over.  No progress, no character development, nothing.  Blah.

You could probably just watch the first couple of seasons and then skip straight to the Final Act and not feel like you really missed anything...

B-but....it totally did have things happening throughout its run. I mean, what about all those Naraku spawns that kept getting introduced, or all those sword upgrades for Inuyasha to handle Naraku's latest barrier, or all those times Kagome and Inuyasha shouted each other's names at each other? :v

But yeah, I can't really say for sure when the plot first decided to just go "Fuck it! Let's milk this for all its worth." (probably either around the first battle with Naraku or when Sango first joined), but I'm pretty sure the plot was on full cruise control by the time Koga (aka Ranma's Ryoga except with a wolf motif instead of a pig alt and a functioning GPS) showed up.

The final act is almost as abrupt in the manga as in the anime because the author really did see the writing on the wall and got out while she was ahead. Of course, she then proceeded to turn around and do Inuyasha all over again with Rin-ne (of course, I don't think nearly as many people were fooled this time around; but you never know).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 01:02:27 AM »

I have discovered a new guilty pleasure anime. Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up! Based off the manga by Go Nagai, it's completely insane and is basically an ecchi. But it's actually really funny, even if it gets really really really weird at times.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 02:12:53 AM »

I have discovered a new guilty pleasure anime. Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up! Based off the manga by Go Nagai, it's completely insane and is basically an ecchi. But it's actually really funny, even if it gets really really really weird at times.

Go Nagai Super Robot Shows are nothing to be Guilty about, IMO...

Pretty much ^this.

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2013, 02:20:22 AM »

The last episode has what can only be described as an orgy in it. And it's a kids show. I recommend it, it's on Crunchyroll if you have a subscription, but I would really not want to watch it with someone else around.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2013, 01:38:31 AM »

After being exposed to P4 & Danganronpa anime and just watching the first episode of Devil Survivor 2 I think any '...The Animation' VG adaptations are going to fall into this category. They're extremely fast paced, leave out sizable portions of the non-critical narrative, and sometime make changes to the core foundations of the world...but I'll be darned if these aren't not only some of the best video game adaptations in any form of media but also great entertainment if you've had no exposure to the source material (I.E; I've never gotten to play Devil Survivor 2).

Obviously they're chalk full of fanservice (no, not that kind of fanservice) and pretty much intended to be supplementary material only. But IMO that makes them the best type of guilty pleasure. The 'delivery anywhere' noodle girl, seeing Genocider Syo animated, or just watching that super tiger leap out of a cell phone and fight an exploding brain suspended over a technicolor ice cream cone...what's not to guiltily partake in? XD
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »

Very curious to see what some people call a "guilty pleasure". I see a lot of people associating guilty pleasure with upbeat anime. But to be honest, I find that the upbeat anime are often way more sophisticated than the "oh no the world is ending!" blood splashed dark anime that's out there.

For instance, I'm currently re-watching Slayers with my girlfriend, and I can't believe how good it is! It's really well thought out, the characters are all very unique and original, and often surprise me. I'm also shocked at just how D&D it is, it has different names for spells, but that's about it. Not too far from Record of Lodos War. Lina is a very intricate character that defies a lot of tropes. How many red mage female characters do you know of in anime? Especially cutesy ones? Except for The Third, I can't think of any.

I also saw Lucky Star mentioned, which I also recently saw. I love "daily life" anime like that and Azumanga Daioh, which is one of my all-time favorite anime. Nothing guilty about that, Lucky Star is a great series. Another killer one in that category is Genshiken, an anime about anime (and hentai) geeks. I often feel that anime tries so hard to get away from daily life, that when a series does it, it's really refreshing.

I think of guilty pleasures as things that are ridiculously long and have mass popularity for mass consumption. They're not made to be very good, just keep people watching week after week, but also have some of their own charm: Inu Yasha, Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, some of the Gundams, I would usually say Bleach, but I actually thought the series was a good notch above everything else here.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: