Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 03:48:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Zelda LttP 2 for 3DS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Zelda LttP 2 for 3DS  (Read 17727 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »

Anyone else surprised by how....I dunno, melodic the dungeon themes are this time around?  Usually they're more just subtle beats and noises.  The Desert Palace was a surprise too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2013, 12:21:03 PM »

Anyone else surprised by how....I dunno, melodic the dungeon themes are this time around?  Usually they're more just subtle beats and noises.  The Desert Palace was a surprise too.
I like to hear this! I miss actually having dungeon music over environmental "sounds" in games. I want great songs, dammit! In EVERY game. I understand the whole "realism" thing, but it 's a frickin' video game. Give me a badass tune, man!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 10:24:03 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »

I really like the maimamai collection quest, even if some upgrades are more lackluster than others. It's well paced just needing 10 per upgrade and, counterbalancing dungeons being less rewarding, makes exploring the open world more rewarding. Normally for this kind of thing I'd just expect some rupees and maybe a heart container piece, with some reward for collecting all 100 that you'll never get because you won't find all 100.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2013, 04:29:16 PM »

I am determined not to continue with the game's story until I've gotten 100 seconds on Cuccoo Dodging. Got to love mini-games that ramp difficulty up from Beginner > Easy > Intermediate > F$%# YOU!!

My record so far is about 68 seconds.

301 seconds...those transitions are a bitch. And yeah, you get 300 rupees for that time. 100 seconds = 100 rupees. Wait till you get the dark world mini game. I CANNOT get a high score for that one!

Dude the music is phenomenal in this game! There are THREE different versions of the Hyrule overworld, one when you start the game, one when you start the main quest and another one after you get the master sword.

My opinions of the game so far almost all positive, the only real negative I can say is that I wish I had never played A Link to the Past. I say that because to some minute way I have played this game already. Nostalgia is a great thing but when I know where to go for potions even before I open the plastic of the case then its essentially a recap of an older game. BUT the way they made this game is painstakingly gorgeous! The differences from A Link Between Worlds and A Link to the Past enough to merit its own title. I just wish it didnt flow so closely to ALTTP.

The dungeons are smartly constructed as always, the music has caught me by surprise. The quality of music and sound effects are top notch and sometimes I will let the track loop a couple of times while im in a new dungeon before I start. The 60 fps is a HUGE welcome that makes the experience of playing link in a handheld enjoyable. I wasnt too fond of the past DS titles but this is probably my favorite Zelda to date.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2013, 12:20:51 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz5gUls4mkX8Z_HPYY9xFHth0f-7qIrWn

OST for anyone who wants a listen.  I'm kinda sick of Zelda's lullaby, but this game has a real lovely version of it.  And I love the first version of the Hyrule field.  And while I think Ocarina of Time's version of Lost Woods is incredibly catchy, I find the SNES/3DS version so much more elegant and befitting of a place that houses 'The Master Sword'.

The Dark World Lorule is still a depressing place.  Given the lack of context or real plot or even interesting NPCs in A Link to the Past, I was really struck by the Lorulean versions of the Blacksmith family and the Mayor of Evil Kakariko Village (I think it's actually just called "Thieves Town").  They don masks to be like the monsters, they're 'CORRUPT', and everyone is in no mood whatsoever to be hopeful/happy.  I feel like Lorule is almost like the typical plot for an episode of 'Care Bears', where No Heart uses his evil to make everyone into a grumpy and mean sunavabitch, but everything else is just dandy once the Care Bears save the day (which is effectively 'Hyrule'!).

Anyways, Skull Woods felt really, really short.... Thank god, I fucking hate Wall Masters (and all 3 times you encounter them in OoT were met with an angry dose of Din's Fire from me).

I have only to do the Snow Temple now, but I'd say Turtle Rock was the trickiest dungeon so far.  I thought it would be the Swamp Dungeon (aka; this game's Water-themed dungeon); but maybe I "got lucky" and just did things in good order.

...the game is definitely on the easy side.

Ravio is wonderful.  I can say that the Ice/Fire rod have the best upgraded features.  Boomerang too I guess, but it's not terribly useful in this game.  But also, that's probably my only draw back for this game is that there aren't really any cool/unique items.  I guess it's just the sand rod and the tornado rod -- but their uses are almost exclusive to one area/dungeon of the game.

Maaaybe end-game spoilers?? v
Code:
And Hilda is totally evil, isn't she??  GODDAMN IT WOMAN, WHY MUST YOUR BLOOD-RED EYES SYMBOLIZE YOUR EVIL INTENT ON THE WORLD?  The plot feels too simple for this NOT to be the case, and Hilda's conversation with painting-Zelda feel a bit...odd for what I think they're trying to pass off as a "heart-to-heart" between "dimensional-sisters".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:25:58 AM by Dice » Logged

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »

And while I think Ocarina of Time's version of Lost Woods is incredibly catchy, I find the SNES/3DS version so much more elegant and befitting of a place that houses 'The Master Sword'.

Do you mean Saria's Song, or the random cawing, chirping, and Moblin grunting noises? And do you do Darunia's dance, shouting "hot, Hot, HOT!" whenever you hear it?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2013, 12:36:26 AM »

And while I think Ocarina of Time's version of Lost Woods is incredibly catchy, I find the SNES/3DS version so much more elegant and befitting of a place that houses 'The Master Sword'.

Do you mean Saria's Song, or the random cawing, chirping, and Moblin grunting noises? And do you do Darunia's dance, shouting "hot, Hot, HOT!" whenever you hear it?

http://vgmdb.net/album/26628

BZZZT.  Saria's Song doesn't register.  The track "Lost Woods" does for the Lost Woods.
The score now is...
RPGfan People: 1,458. 
Me: 1

Darunia and the others just reminds me how sad I am that the Sages seem to vanish into fat air basically the MINUTE AFTER they're introduced (I did like that fan theory that they might be 'dead' though).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:39:12 AM by Dice » Logged

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »

Scored 124 points in the baseball minigame. If anyone is still having trouble, I can share what I've learned through practice. Once you figure out how aiming works, it just takes a little bit of practice and luck.

Also, Dice, it really depends on the order you do the dungeons in how difficult the game is. Sarashashasha basically sends you to the Skull Woods first, so I did that first and died three times on the boss because avoiding his secondary attack is nearly impossible after a time and I didn't have enough hearts to just eat the hits.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

Scored 124 points in the baseball minigame. If anyone is still having trouble, I can share what I've learned through practice. Once you figure out how aiming works, it just takes a little bit of practice and luck.

Also, Dice, it really depends on the order you do the dungeons in how difficult the game is. Sarashashasha basically sends you to the Skull Woods first, so I did that first and died three times on the boss because avoiding his secondary attack is nearly impossible after a time and I didn't have enough hearts to just eat the hits.

That boss was easy enough:  I just stood at the back, when he tried to slap sown, I just went into the wall.  I had enough ravio-magic-meter.  It was when I ran around trying to dodge him I got hurt a lot.  He nearly killed me when I didn't know what to do as well.

How do you aim for that baseball game?

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »

Hitting earlier makes the ball go right. Hitting later makes it go left. Holding down on the analog makes the ball go to the outfield. Holding it up makes it infield. You'll want to try getting the crow as much as possible; the ball tends to home in on the crow so long as it's in the 'area' (left/middle/right) your ball is in.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: November 26, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »

To add a little more detail, the "hit box" for the ball is about the start of the edge of the dirt round for home plate up until the edge of the plate itself. As Ashton said, when you hit it within that window determines where it will go... earlier means more right, later means more left.

As for pulling down or pushing up on the joystick, pushing up will cause the ball to go low, pulling back will cause it to go high, but you'll only ever really need to pull down or push up about halfway or you'll end up overshooting or undershooting your shot.

When the crow appears, pull back just a little bit on the joystick and try to hit the ball halfway into it's hit box.

========

Also, as promised I am crying golden tears of joy! (The subtle additions to the death mountain theme are amazing!!)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: November 26, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

I actually hope future versions of the series also have multilple overworld themes.  This has been a fucken GREAT game and I'm trying to watch how often I emphasize things with swear words.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: November 26, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »

To add a little more detail, the "hit box" for the ball is about the start of the edge of the dirt round for home plate up until the edge of the plate itself. As Ashton said, when you hit it within that window determines where it will go... earlier means more right, later means more left.

As for pulling down or pushing up on the joystick, pushing up will cause the ball to go low, pulling back will cause it to go high, but you'll only ever really need to pull down or push up about halfway or you'll end up overshooting or undershooting your shot.

When the crow appears, pull back just a little bit on the joystick and try to hit the ball halfway into it's hit box.

========

Also, as promised I am crying golden tears of joy! (The subtle additions to the death mountain theme are amazing!!)
Actually the analog doesn't affect how far you hit, you'll never over/undershoot. You can safely press the analog all the way down/up without worrying about missing. Never touch the analog when the bird comes though, because it's in the infield, not the outfield.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: November 26, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

I did better when I had no idea about this stuff than my latest attempt knowing this.  But hey, what the hell else do you do with 5,000 ruppees and nothing else left to buy?

I kinda wish they pulled an Assassin's Creed and got a gallery going or something.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »

Yeah I finished the game with like 8000 rupees. Those items are actually really cheap.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: