Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 11:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329487 Posts in 13499 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Does anyone remember Ring of Red?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Does anyone remember Ring of Red?  (Read 944 times)
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: April 30, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »

I just bought this game on PSN after remembering playing this game a lot when I was 10 years old. As someone who's always looking for some good Strategy RPGs to play, this is probably one of my favorites along with Valkyria Chronicles. It's sad that no one ever took notice of this game when it first came out, I would've loved to have seen a sequel to this game because this had so much potential to have more advanced mechanics put into it.

I wanted to see if anyone on the boards have played the game and share their thoughts on it.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:45:49 PM »

I truly thought this thread was going to be somehow about the famous Red Ring of Death. :)

I've never heard of this game, but I like strategy RPGs - might have to look it up.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:59:05 PM »

Bought a copy like a year ago from the creepy-ass game store out in Whitehall.

Never played it.

Never going back to Whitehall.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:10:47 PM »

I have the PSN version. I find it kind of a pain to play because of the aiming mechanic and all that. A map takes forever to finish.
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »

I have the PSN version. I find it kind of a pain to play because of the aiming mechanic and all that. A map takes forever to finish.
Yeah but you can say that for most Strategy RPG games, they take a long time to play especially in their maps.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:14 PM »

I mean like, in Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea, most attacks take a couple seconds. In Ring of Red, an attack sequence takes a full minute or more.
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 01:51:04 AM »

For sure. If the aiming mechanic was quicker and less annoying, then the game would have been a lot better.
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:10:22 AM »

For sure. If the aiming mechanic was quicker and less annoying, then the game would have been a lot better.
But that would make the game too easy. I actually like that it takes a while to aim because it makes the combat more engaging and fun to play.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »

I got this for dirt cheap ($2) and it is an excellent deal for that much, it did deserve to at least sell modestly.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 12:01:58 AM »

I liked it, but as damn near every post above mine points out, it was a little too slow paced for its own good.  I get that they were trying to sell those mechs as being more like tanks than Gundams, but it isn't something that should have inhibited the gameplay.  A fast forward option would have been hugely helpful.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: