Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 12:55:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335181 Posts in 13725 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Earthbound to be released this year on WiiU's virtual console.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Earthbound to be released this year on WiiU's virtual console.  (Read 2191 times)
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »

According to Mato's blog its just the original SNES game slapped onto the VC. Small question...Why isn't it being put on 3DS VC? Plan on getting one soon, and this would be fantastic.

Every damn time...

There's no SNES support on 3DS VC, so far at least. It's that simple, and it's the question you should really be asking because they won't make an exception just for Earthbound.

Oh okay, sorry for rage I caused.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »

Don't worry about it, it's just kinda exasperating given there's yet to be any SNES support for 3DS VC. Hell, outside of ambassador games we don't even have GBA.
Evenbillybob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:55 AM »

I'm kinda looking forward to play Earthbound. I mean, you hear all kinds of praise for the game, but since i never got around to owning a SNES, there really wasn't any opportunities to play the game. And I really like the modern setting of the game, not a alot of RPG's go for that.

As a side note, does anybody know how long it takes to beat? As I'm getting older, I'm finding it harder and harder to play and beat 70+ hours RPG's.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43:43 AM »

I honestly think most people look at Earthbound through rose-colored nostalgia glasses. The combat is reminiscent of early Dragon Quest games, and the story and direction just kind of gets lost after the first half of the game. The final battle was a truly unique experience, as was the rest of the game, it's just it wasn't really as good as people make it out to be.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »

I'm kinda looking forward to play Earthbound. I mean, you hear all kinds of praise for the game, but since i never got around to owning a SNES, there really wasn't any opportunities to play the game. And I really like the modern setting of the game, not a alot of RPG's go for that.

As a side note, does anybody know how long it takes to beat? As I'm getting older, I'm finding it harder and harder to play and beat 70+ hours RPG's.

Its not as long as that, maybe about 20-30 hours. Starmen.net has a great guide if you get lost. Its happened to me.

I honestly think most people look at Earthbound through rose-colored nostalgia glasses. The combat is reminiscent of early Dragon Quest games, and the story and direction just kind of gets lost after the first half of the game. The final battle was a truly unique experience, as was the rest of the game, it's just it wasn't really as good as people make it out to be.

Its probably a lot of nostalgia, but I do think the game is still fantastic. However, Mother 3 is a far better game, and the story doesn't meander near the end like Earthbound's. Actually, it kind of does a bit, with Chapter 7, because its a last minute hunt for the very important things, of which you need 7, and then moves you along to the final battle. Overall though, it is a tighter story than Earthbound's.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »

I enjoyed it enough last year and I am 27. Nostalgia wasn't a factor for me, as all I recall from my childhood was a grim memory of not being able to get past the boss in the arcade of the first town-LoL

Playing it again later in life, I sort of went into it half hearted.... I was expecting anything incredible but was pleasantly surprised. It is the mood of the game, not so much the quality I applaud. Its fun and quirky enough with its own weirdness to enter a almost playful realm of disturbing at times.  It reminded of playing an adult cartoon made by some real creeps and censored for younger audiences. I can't really say I can think of any other game that has ever left me feeling similarly.

The music had a great deal to do with the aformentioned mood/atmosphere. I left my system on all day so as I did crap around my house I heard it going in the background. 

Combat drove me out of my mind (reeeeal dated gameplay that became as brutally unfair as I remembered from the brief blockbuster rental in my youth) but I sort of expected that. I think so long as people go into Earthbound without expecting to play Xenoblade Chronicles or Mass Effect they will find it pretty easy to digest despite its age and be happy with the experience.

Regardless, I think its in the same league as chrono trigger, ff4 and few other titans of yesteryear that have certainly become far more accessible than earthbound has. In that respect alone I'm happy to hear it having the potential to reach new audiences even if it doesn't really matter much to me at this point.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Evenbillybob

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »

Its not as long as that, maybe about 20-30 hours. Starmen.net has a great guide if you get lost. Its happened to me.

That seems reasonable enough - and thanks for the link to the guide, I'm going to keep that i mind when the time comes.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: