Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 07:40:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319130 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Mario & Luigi 4: Dream Team
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Mario & Luigi 4: Dream Team  (Read 2736 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »

Mario is one of the best RPG series of all time.  I say this without irony.  SMRPG, the three PM games (four if you count SPM, but that's basically a platformer), and the three M&L games.  All excellent.  No duds in the bunch except... maybe Sticker Star?  But even then I'm not sure. 

But anyhow, Klyde, Thousand-Year Door is on the meaty side (~30 hours) and Superstar Saga is a little lighter (~20 hours).  Both are excellent, but I would say that TTYD is heavier in dialog and world-building while SSS is heavier on crazy platforming trickiness.  Both games are excellent in their own right, so I guess in the long run I'd recommend them both. 

BTW, when I plan out what games I want to play and would like to know how long or short a game is, this is a pretty good resource: http://www.howlongtobeat.com/.  I'm weird and I plan out my backlog in advance.  HLTB helps. 

Just checked out that website...very cool. :)

I checked out Rune Factory Frontier and saw it took a person to complete it in a little over 150 hours (Just main Story). I couldn't stop laughing, especially with with the longest main + extras run for Xenoblade Chronicles (311 hours, really???). I definitely just want to check out other games and see if it gets just as ridiculous. ;)

There's a metric ton of sidequests in Xenoblade and between inventory management (especially Gem Crafting fuckery) and generally not knowing what's coming up next or when you start getting locked out of things or if that island is filled with level 90+ fuckers ready to instagib you at the drop of a hat. Granted, the game does its damnedest to inform you of these things and warn you of any cutoff points, but its hard to go against the instincts forged over a couple of decades worth of such bullshit blindsiding you at almost every turn.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 07:56:14 PM »

Both of them are awesome. Superstar Saga is shorter.

Bowser's Inside Story uses the stylus for minigames, if I recall, but not much else.
Mario is one of the best RPG series of all time.  I say this without irony.  SMRPG, the three PM games (four if you count SPM, but that's basically a platformer), and the three M&L games.  All excellent.  No duds in the bunch except... maybe Sticker Star?  But even then I'm not sure. 

But anyhow, Klyde, Thousand-Year Door is on the meaty side (~30 hours) and Superstar Saga is a little lighter (~20 hours).  Both are excellent, but I would say that TTYD is heavier in dialog and world-building while SSS is heavier on crazy platforming trickiness.  Both games are excellent in their own right, so I guess in the long run I'd recommend them both. 

BTW, when I plan out what games I want to play and would like to know how long or short a game is, this is a pretty good resource: http://www.howlongtobeat.com/.  I'm weird and I plan out my backlog in advance.  HLTB helps. 

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses guys! I really needed something to break up the SMT grind I've been having and based I your responses I know mario is the right move and it sounds as though SSS is exactly what I'm looking for!... I have plenty o' backlogs to tend to but they are all "heavy" in their own rights and mario seems a good "light-hearted" fit right now.

As for howlongtobeat.... that site LIES!! LoL* Thanks for the tip none-the-less though.

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »

really love this series, superstar saga and bowsers inside story especially. Also there's a geno cameo in superstar saga. Partners in time got a bit too hectic controlling 4 people and the special moves weren't too impressive. Sticker star was kinda annoying because there was no real incentive to fight anything as there's no exp system and you can just do all the puzzles and fight the boss. Even then I still enjoyed the game, it has clever dialouge and there's a birdo cameo out of nowhere. But yeah, get this game and play the other ones in the series. There's a stat that represents how luxurious and full your mustache is, how can you say not to that?

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »

My basic feeling of these is that they are fun to play, but completely forgettable.  I've played a couple of these throughout the year and I can't even remember which ones or their names.  Super Mario RPG on the SNES is definitely the exception.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 06:57:42 PM »

did you play inside story? Think it's the best of the handheld series

spoilers
there was a part where bowser pulls out a giant carrot in order to find something underneath and a wriggler appears and forces him to "take responsibility" and eat it. You then haveta play a carrot eating mini-game where you stimulate bowsers stomach to get him to eat the carrot, it's hilarious. Oh and mario actually does plumbing in superstar saga for the first time in who knows how long(it turns out the plumbing problem was actually the security system to an artifact). That game has you in the bean kingdom and you collect special beans to brew coffee that permanently upgrades your stats in a cafe run by professor E.Gad. Also the french guy with a dog who has a giant block for a head. And mr. "I HAVE FURY!" Fawful. The series is just filled with these awesome characters and these moments.

sorry for the rant, but I think the series is exceptional.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:14:25 PM by kofvscapcom » Logged

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »

Superstar Saga is still my favorite 10 years later. I know a lot of people love Bowser's Inside Story, but I always felt it was only a step ahead of the mediocrity of Partners In Time. Will still play this one though. I do like the light continuity they have going on in the M&L series.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »

None of that rings a bell Kofvscapcom so I'm not sure.

Partners in Time I'm pretty sure I did play.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »

Is it just me, or is DT a LOOOOOOOOT harder than BIS?

Kupo'ing to Victory! ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 09:01:56 PM »

Superstar Saga is still my favorite 10 years later. I know a lot of people love Bowser's Inside Story, but I always felt it was only a step ahead of the mediocrity of Partners In Time. Will still play this one though. I do like the light continuity they have going on in the M&L series.

Finally, someone who shares my opinions on this series.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »

I'm only a bit into the game but it doesn't seem super hard, some of the enemy attacks are a bit harder to dodge though but you're never in any real danger. Also if you're not a big fan of bowser, inside story probably won't appeal to you as in the game he actually gets quite a bit of characterizatio as well as a big chunk of screentime n in the game, probably more than any other character. You see a few sides of bowser the other games never touch on and he gets pretty sympathetic even though you see that he is indeed kind of an idiot.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:04 PM »

I'm only a bit into the game but it doesn't seem super hard, some of the enemy attacks are a bit harder to dodge though but you're never in any real danger. Also if you're not a big fan of bowser, inside story probably won't appeal to you as in the game he actually gets quite a bit of characterizatio as well as a big chunk of screentime n in the game, probably more than any other character. You see a few sides of bowser the other games never touch on and he gets pretty sympathetic even though you see that he is indeed kind of an idiot.
The intro is of course manageable.

After the intro is when you start seeing a difficulty spike. You WILL want to buy the best gear.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:36 PM »

how far in are you? I just beat the park and got my first rank up

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 12:02:39 AM »

how far in are you? I just beat the park and got my first rank up
To avoid saying spoilers, I'm beyond twenty hours, and that's just when the game starts taking off somewhere.

(One can see how many boss battles there are in this game if they visit the Boss Room in Pi'illo Castle...)

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »

Finally, someone who shares my opinions on this series.

BIS did a lot that I didn't like. I get that Bowser is, well, Bowser, but I hate when a protagonist (and he was one here) never really gets what's going on in the plot as they progress through it. I think Mario and Luigi being inside Bowser for most of the game could have been funner if all of their areas weren't freaking side-scrolling. I thought the giant Bowser battles, while cool-looking, were kind of crap to play. A lot of the outside areas felt pretty bland besides that bay you start off in. I felt like more could have been done with Fawful, it being his turn to be the big bad, and I felt like way more could have been done with the Dark Star. When it finally starts gaining sentience and Mario and Luigi chase after it, it's built up in a very "here's the true villain, now the plot's really beginning!" way, and 10 minutes later, we're suddenly in the final battle.

That last one is more of a problem on my end for assuming, but still: I thought I had reached the halfway point of the game when I suddenly realized I was at the final boss battle. Probably the most I've ever been underwhelmed by a point in a game's story. I swear Superstar Saga felt twice as long. On the plus side, I still think that final boss had my favorite theme from any Mario game ever. And the game's still pretty good in it's own right.

Dream Team looks fun though, and word of mouth seems to be better than what I saw for Partners In Time and Bowser's Inside Story, so I'll pick it up when I have a chance. But there's so many games coming out already, and I've got that PS3/GTA5 bundle pre-ordered for next month. Gah! XD

Wished they'd number the M&L games. There is a continuity after all, light as it may be.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »

The thing about Bowser to me, is that he pretty much is a dope. Sure he can come up with the means of assembling his own fleet of airships and the occasional hovering clown car but his plans tend to start and end in the capture of Princess Peach. It's the age old question of what does Bowser need with a Princess? (Although admittedly in Sunshine, Baby Bowser claims to want Peach to be his mama. Perhaps he's simply trying to foist the kids on her in an attempt at being deadbeat dad of the year? Or maybe he just wants her to bake him pies until they hit S-rank with each other; wait, wrong series.) Also he gets foiled by a jump happy plumber almost every time (and his brother occasionally; if he's not being too busy not being afraid of no ghost), due to things like leaving the axe right next to the chain holding up the bridge he's standing on, or ground pounding himself through the floor, or forgetting that the chandelier that he's fighting on top of is being held up by a chain chomp, and so on.... And then there's the power complex he has and his constant need for more of it....

Anyways, if there's one thing I think we can all agree on is that Bowser going all Simcity on the occasional giant enemy was the best thing about BIS.

Also also, I don't quite recall what the final enemy was in PiT but Bowser has been part of the final boss of two of the M&L games so far.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: