Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 06:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338204 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  THE EVIL WITHIN (ZWEI)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: THE EVIL WITHIN (ZWEI)  (Read 11376 times)
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »

I'm talking about RE5 and RE6, swaying away from survival horror, to an action title (pretty much with the majority of RE4). Resident Evil 7, will hopefully rectify that issue and go back to the former.

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:52 PM »

Here's a good Interview with Mikami that was posted a while ago by Edge;

Father of survival horror Shinji Mikami promises fresh terror with The Evil Within -- EDGE

I'm talking about RE5 and RE6, swaying away from survival horror, to an action title (pretty much with the majority of RE4). Resident Evil 7, will hopefully rectify that issue and go back to the former.

The Evil Wthin is most likely gonna open the doors for a shift in focus to the genre just like Resident Evil 4 and Left 4 Dead did before. So in a way it is likely that TEW can influence RE7. Only time will tell.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 03:47:37 PM »

I agree.  Let's hope Konami does the same with Silent Hill. That series stopped being good, after The Room.

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

Let's hope Konami does the same with Silent Hill. That series stopped being good, after The Room.

Silent Hill had a good run when Team Silent were doing their thing. Konami never knew what to do with their own IP nor they understood what was meaningful about it.

The series doesn't make any sort of sense if you take the first four games and see what was made after it, that alone says a lot. That's why I say that Capcom were much more sensible in the long run with how they handled RE than Konami did with SH.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »

Yeah, and the main mistake, for Silent Hill, was adding Tomm Hulett-- as "The Silent Hill Bible".  He claims to know so much, yet... he knew nothing about what Silent Hill was.  Also, they wanted to return to the series roots, have nothing to do with the past games, yet with Downpour, it was cluttered with Easter eggs from previous games; It also had the most nonsense of a plot, especially those endings.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 09:04:31 PM »

Shinji Mikami and the Fountain of Youth -- Polygon

"4 years ago, game director Shinji Mikami noticed a problem with Japan's game industry. He felt the wrong people were getting the right opportunities."
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »

So....anyone in their 40s shouldn't be able to have an opportunity in the games industry.....except him.

That's not hypocritical. Not at all.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »

Actually, he's not being hypocritical.  He says repeatedly that he wants the younger guys and gals at Tango to take control of their next title.  He was put under a lot of pressure to work on a game as the director, but he recognizes that young blood has to take over to keep things fresh and relevant.  

Edit-
I can see how he comes across in the article, however.  You could certainly make the argument that he's been bitten by the creative bug again, and we might have a Kojima situation where he keeps saying other people should make the games but then he keeps stepping in.  Based on this article and his previous statements, I honestly think Mikami wants to advise and manage a bit more than actually direct a game. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:07:27 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 08:44:44 PM »

^Step in? Kojima for years saw himself trapped with Metal Gear because that's what was expected of him, especially by fans.

He never wanted to make MGS3 or 4 but he had to anyways, Rising was a messy project at Kojima Productions in which he hoped his team would be able to do a Metal Gear game without his help but the whole thing went south and PlatinumGames had to finish the job, later after he was free from MGS3 and 4 Kojima took Portable Ops (a game he didn't directed nor seemed to care about too much) and pretty much made it irrelevant with Peace Walker.

Since PW I've notice Kojima more interested in putting his own ideas in his games rather than doing what his audience expects of him.

---

Dark Horse Releasing The Art of Wolfenstein: The New Order in May; Dishonored and Evil Within Soon -- DualShockers
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 09:26:49 AM »

I think we're both saying the same thing, essentially.  Kojima has repeatedly talked about leaving the franchise, but he keeps coming back for multiple reasons (agree with you that it's a lot of fan response, too).  I think this article with a couple of quotes highlights the similarities between Kojima and Mikami in their (public) desires. 

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/metal-gear-solid-boss-hideo-kojima-wants-leave-franchise-again-1437701
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »

New trailer released. You can find the link in the OP, but be wary if you are actually planning to get a copy of TEW to enjoy it for yourself because the trailer is heavy on spoilers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:26:46 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 09:05:12 AM »

Official screenshots released from the event at PAX East '14:

---

Mikami speaks about The Evil Within's difficulty levels -- EvilWithin[dot]net

"In a feature written by Yahoo! Games about difficult Videogames, Shinji Mikami had a few things to say about difficulty in The Evil Within and gaming in general. The game will have four difficulty levels: Casual, Normal, Hard, and "Akumu" (Which translates to "Worst Dream"). According to Mikami, that mode requires a high level of mental ability and technical ability. Mikami also touches upon the topic of dynamic, automatically-adjusting difficulty method that was used in his past games like RE4 and Godhand, click the link below for more."

Yahoo! Games

---

Titan Releases The Evil Within Video Game Prequel Comic Book -- IGN

THE EVIL WITHIN #1 (OF 4)

TITAN COMICS | 32PP | Price: $3.99

On sale: Aug 27, 2014

Writer: Ian Edginton
Artist: Alex Sanchez
Cover Artist: Ben Templesmith

SYNOPSIS:

Experience Pure Horror.

Spun from the new survival horror game The Evil Within from Bethesda Softworks this all-new prequel invites readers to experience the deranged world created by Shinji Mikami.

Writer Ian Edginton (Scarlet Traces, Victorian Undead) and artist Alex Sanchez (Katana) present the story of a young student, Dana, whose search for a missing friend leads straight into a world fraught with tension and unimaginable horrors.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:20:18 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »

OP updated.*

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »

I'm totally sold on this game.

Also, thank you Yggdrasil for all the updates! :)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »

I'm totally sold on this game.

Also, thank you Yggdrasil for all the updates! :)

Thanks! :3

Is getting harder to not spoil the game by seeing too much while updating the thread though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: