Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 11:38:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338152 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  THE EVIL WITHIN (ZWEI)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: THE EVIL WITHIN (ZWEI)  (Read 11367 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2014, 02:03:02 AM »

Interviews with Shinji Mikami: Wired UK, Rely on Horror, The Telegraph
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:33:25 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2014, 02:37:49 AM »

E3 2014: The Evil Within Preview -- 411Mania

I didn't linked any previews in the past because in all honestly they were all fucking terrible. This one is the only one in where the writer knows what's he's talking about, however, I would recommend ignoring the comparison she does with The Evil Within being like the original Resident Evil and Outlast.

If anything, for all the info I've read about TEW and my personal experiences/knowledge with Japanese horror games I change those two comparisons with the remake of Resident Evil for GameCube and the one from Outlast to Clock Tower.

Also, I left a new interview with Mikami by British newspaper 'The Telegraph' in the previous post for anyone interested.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2014, 08:58:48 AM »

I got the chance to play a pretty long demo at E3, and must say I came away quite impressed.  It still has a long way to go (the framerate was kinda shit and the controls need a lot of tuning between now and release), but the key concepts of old-school survival horror are clearly there.  I jumped quite a few times in an awesome way, the atmosphere was intense, and there was great resource management.  I don't think it will revolutionize anything, but it was clearly a game designed to follow up RE4 in terms of pacing and gameplay. 

In terms of setting, however, it comes across more like the original design for RE4 (with the hookman and stuff).  I wouldn't be surprised if Mikami used some of those original design documents for TEW...
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »

^TEW definitely has shown very heavily to be a sort of a remix of the 4 to 5 known versions of RE4 that never made into the final product.

Personally I'm just happy that this game seems to be the cure I need after seeing years of mediocre horror games. There has been very few games in the genre since 2003 I can call good, so seeing you saying good things about it is certainly reassuring! :)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »

The special site for PsychoBreak went up recently, you can find the link to the site in the OP.*

---

Limited Edition (PS4 ver.) / $99.95 -- EB Games Australia

For some reason the same limited edition for the PC version is $75.95.

I haven't seen anything yet about America getting physical bonuses with the pre-order.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 01:14:24 PM »

Small clip showcasing the Shotgun from demo at Japan Expo.

Also from the same demo was shown that Medical Kits causes side effects.

Link no longer available.*
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 05:22:37 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »

That's the demo I got to play at E3.  It was very impressive and atmospheric.  Not sure how the stealth mechanics are going to work out, though.  They seem like a slight afterthought, like something you don't have to use but can if given the chance.  Not sure if it will be a huge part of the gameplay.  I never used it during the demo and I was fine. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »

I can't think of one game directed by Mikami that had poor balance with it's difficulty. That said, I'm looking forward in trying higher difficulty modes for myself and see how the balance of the game was handled in the final version.

Also, for those who are fans of the classic style of RE is that when you are near a Save Room 'Clair de Lune' plays in the background. Small details like this that work as references are always cool.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »

Excellent. The save room music was fantastic in RE.

You felt safe and at ease from the SURVIVAL HORROR
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »

*deep sigh* I knew this was gonna happen...

Alright I'll make this short; PewDiePie is gonna play The Evil Within on his channel like an idiot, because marketing.

Also the artbook of TEW looks like it comes out October 14, while TEW itself comes out October 21 (in America later following other territories).

I mention this because an artbook with 184 pages usually has like, lots of spoilers.

EDIT: New release date is now the same day as the official artbook.

(*)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:29:27 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »

Getting more and more excited for TEW.  I think the comparisons with Alien: Isolation will crop up like crazy come October.  TEW is more of a traditional horror experience like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, while Isolation is very much in the Amnesia or Slender vein.  Should prove interesting. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »

^I'm not a fan of First-person horror for how shallow it's approach to horror usually is. That, and I don't like the removal of combat at all.

And comparing Alien: Isolation with TEW is a bit weird because both are going for completely different things as far as I've seen. And if anything, TEW is more of a risk nowadays than Alien: Isolation for being in a sub-genre that has been trending for a few years now.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2014, 05:58:52 PM »

^Oh, I would agree that the two games are very different in terms of mechanics and style.  However, they're both horror games, which have seen a resurgence in the indie space thanks to games in the Isolation style.  A couple of the previews for TEW trashed the game for feeling "old," while many gamers my age have been begging for a new Resident Evil style horror experience now that Capcom has gone off the deep end.  I think TEW will resonate more with older gamers who grew up with the first batch of horror games than those brought up in the wake of Slender.  

Edit-
Man, I'm very concerned about picking this up after trying Wolfenstein on my PC.  Id tech 5 is a garbage engine that runs like crap on ATI cards, which has me nervous.  Constant drops below 60 fps has me thinking console may be the way to go with this one...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 10:31:32 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2014, 02:29:52 PM »

^With the engine being reworked for this project I dunno if there's gonna be a significant difference from going to Rage and Wolfenstein: TNO to The Evil Within on PC. About the framerate, Tango has planned TEW to run at 30fps.

A couple of the previews for TEW trashed the game for feeling "old," while many gamers my age have been begging for a new Resident Evil style horror experience now that Capcom has gone off the deep end.  I think TEW will resonate more with older gamers who grew up with the first batch of horror games than those brought up in the wake of Slender.

The wake of Slender uh...

Well you know, a few years ago I read about a game made by Deep Space back in 2003 for PS2 called 'Hungry Ghost'. Along with System Shock 2 these are the only two games of its kind that (I think) have been good for the genre with the rest that came later merely having a few good aspects at best.

I'm giving Alien: Isolation the benefit of the doubt for now since I've heard nothing but good things from it.

Also about RE and Capcom, you might be interested in reading this quote from an Interview done last year to the producer of Resident Evil Revelations:

REVIL: How the success and sales of Resident Evil Revelations on home consoles can influence the future of Resident Evil?

Masachika Kawata: Let's just say that it may already be having all kinds of influence on the future of the series even before we get to that point! (laughs)

(*)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:52:16 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »

Trap System Has Evolved Into The Agony Crossbow -- EvilWithin[dot]net (source)

"When The Evil Within was announced, Traps you use were said to be one of the main pillars of the combat, something that will differentiate this game from others, but it has been quite a while since we've seen anything about it. Turns out that Traps can now be set up, or "fired" from the Agony Crossbow, in the form of Agony Bolts. Meaning that you don't have to place them by hand anymore. Agony Bolts (at least some of them) will stick to any surface you fire at, acting as Proximity Traps. Here's a list of confirmed Agony Bolts so far."

---

Extract from an Interview made to Shinji Mikami last year by GamesIndustry International:

"People shouldn't expect a Resident Evil experience going in though. "The fear and the triumph of overcoming fears is the same. The different thing is that the Resident Evil series has its fears (zombies, etc.) grounded in science - viruses and stuff - whereas in The Evil Within, the background of those fears are more cerebral, more psychological, like the evil within the human soul. That's the big difference in concept," he said."

---

Three more extracts from another Interview by 3 News with Mikami:

The Evil Within is a return to what you call "pure" survival horror. Since you first started this genre nearly 20 years ago, why do you think it has gone more into action and more away from straight horror?

"With horror, if you repeat the same scary tricks people get too used to it. So to satisfy customers as you create more and more sequels, we put in more action to try and satisfy a greater number of people. With most game developers it's not intentional, but it naturally just leans more towards action. I myself went down that same path too."

There's a lot of horror references in this game. I've seen what I think are direct references to The Shining, Saw and Session 9 to name but a few. What's your intention with these references?

"With this game I am taking some memorable horror movie scenes and parodying them a little bit. At the E3 demo of The Evil Within you saw lots of examples of those, but there's not too much in the full game. I parodied a game too, but I can't say what game... apologies to Capcom!"

To finish off, what have gamers got to look forward to with The Evil Within?

"Everyone's been missing good, old, classic survival horror and wanting to play it again. You'll feel it's definitely back with this game and I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, I promise."

---

Concept Art by Daniel Rudnicki: Basement / Hospital / Re-born Laura / Village

---

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: