Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 10:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327188 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 129 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 116026 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1305 on: October 05, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »

i'm getting sick of people blaming the DPS on the second boss of wanderers palace. it is in fact on the tank to keep the adds under control. this isn't like ffxi where you can brute force things with nukes.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1306 on: October 05, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

Wanderer's place sucks anyway, go do AK, better gear, easier run, no BS tonberry running after you.

TASTY!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »

You should all come to Hyperion. Especially if you enjoy lag and Gil sellers.

Attempted Qarn last night with friends. That didn't end well. :(
Hyperion's locked anyway, can't get in.

Started leveling lnc for drg. Dunno how I like it so far, definitely less active then tanking so far.

Yeah Hyperion's closed a lot due to high population. You have to be on in the morning to create a character there.

I like lancer (level 39 dragoon atm). Found it pretty active as I actually gotta dodge. ;)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1308 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »

I had made a plan to level my Botany and Mining but then I got booted and then the servers aren't accessible.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1309 on: October 05, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »

Hyperion crashed. I can still play my alts on Midgardsomr and Zalera, though.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1310 on: October 05, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »

At least Hyperion chose to crash right as the last boss of CM died. I mean literally almost after it died.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 06, 2013, 12:46:59 AM »

You should all come to Hyperion. Especially if you enjoy lag and Gil sellers.

Attempted Qarn last night with friends. That didn't end well. :(
Hyperion's locked anyway, can't get in.

Started leveling lnc for drg. Dunno how I like it so far, definitely less active then tanking so far.

Yeah Hyperion's closed a lot due to high population. You have to be on in the morning to create a character there.

I like lancer (level 39 dragoon atm). Found it pretty active as I actually gotta dodge. ;)

Nice! If you guys ever want to run a dungeon hit me up. I can usually wrangle up people in the FC to help.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1312 on: October 06, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »

Beat Titan normal for the first time yesterday. And now I get the complaints. My first party was all players that hadn't fought him before, including myself, so I forgave the first few wipes. But I learned fairly quickly how to mitigate damage on his jump attack and avoid his other attacks, and despite sharing this information nobody seemed to be able to actually listen. That and our healer was Terribad. Couldn't keep the tank's health over 50% and I kept having to use Healing Wind after the first jump just so we didn't wipe immediately after.

Second PUG was also fairly new but had some common sense and we finished first try, no close calls or anything. He really isn't as hard as people make him out to be.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1313 on: October 06, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »

Most of the complaints you hear (And all of the ones in this thread, largely from myself or D) are about Hard Mode Titan, which is the very final boss you fight for a certain quest chain. He does have a lot of the same attacks as the normal one you meet during the story mode but he has something like 3 or 4 more attacks. It's "dodge the AoEs: the fight".

Those guys you met that didn't have the common sense to reduce Geocrush damage even with pointers are probably going to give people aneurysms in Hard mode.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:15:32 AM by Hathen » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 06, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »

Nice! If you guys ever want to run a dungeon hit me up. I can usually wrangle up people in the FC to help.

Sure! I should actually add you to my friends list in-game. I have Chursen and his +1.

Apparently it was Odin that killed Hyperion last night! I always miss him...

Titan Normal is still kinda difficult, but doable. The friends I was with had beaten him before though. :)

Ran into a bug last night. The NPC I was supposed to talk to to turn into a main story quest was unresponsive for me and the 3-4 other people trying to talk to him. So I did hunting log stuff instead I CAN'T STOP PLAYING THIS GAME

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1315 on: October 06, 2013, 03:06:15 PM »

I CAN'T STOP PLAYING THIS GAME
GAHAHAHAHHA WE HAVE YOU NOW

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 06, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »

You guys had me 2+ weeks ago when I started playing :D

Related: saw the dragoon relic armour again and died a little again. SOON

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Datastorm

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1317 on: October 06, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

Well they lost me, I quit the game a few days ago and am not missing it at all. I know most of you don't really care but it's kind of sad all the work I put into it. I was there all the way through 1.0.... I'm not a very good writer but this thread pretty much summed it up:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/98087-FFXIV-Bitter-Sweet

doh
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1318 on: October 06, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »

Eh, I actually agree with a lot of what that post said. There's a lot of things about the game that were good ideas in concept for XIV but terrible in exeution, that were lost in their desire to make it like many other MMOs.

Quick example: Monster behavior. In the original FFXIV you had things like
-Marmots running away at low health
-Does running away and Stags attacking you for hurting their females
-Wolves fighting you in groups of 2 or 3 and one always trying to get behind you
-Megalocrabs used to put their pincers up when you got close but would not aggro unless you stood around for a while
-Dodos and Opoopo would follow you around and get in your way

Some of those things were seen as annoyances to gameplay and thus the idea of monsters each acting like an actual "animal in the world of Eorzea" got removed entirely so they're all basically angry pinatas like in any other MMO.

Also since hitting level cap I feel there's very little to do, and you soon realize how the "customization" in the game is very illusionary (Cross class skills are very limited in which ones are useful, there is no reason to take your job crystal off after you get it, +30 stat barely affects your character and its not like you'd spec anything but your primary stat anyway) and that the game's mechanics are very, very simple. For example, elements don't even matter. However, the boss fights themselves I feel were well designed. Titan Hard mode was frustrating but I thought the fight itself is a lot of fun. Ifrit and Garuda hard were a lot easier, but I also thought they were lots of fun. The storyline boss battles were all a lot of fun as well. Demon Wall was a pretty fun fight the first few times I tried it, just unfortunate that AK being the only worthwhile dungeon means I just get to fight him over and over.

I'm hoping they'll try to make the game's mechanics more complex and the endgame more interesting with the next few patches, but I'm probably going to cancel my subscription if they don't, and maybe check back every once in a while to enjoy new story content they throw in. I think it was definitely worth the 1 month subscription I've paid for it so far though. (Didn't have to buy the game myself since I owned a 1.0 code, which I got for free, but I think if I bought the game I still would've gotten my money's worth)

I think a lot of people around here are a lot more laid back in their approach to MMOs so they're playing through the best parts of the game right now, which is the story and the experience of exploring Eorzea for the first time. I really think they did that part great (Even though the story itself had some...sidetracking, to say the least), but much like The Old Republic, I don't think they put a lot of effort into how to retain their playerbase once they had them clear the main campaign(s).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:01:10 PM by Hathen » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1319 on: October 06, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »

Stat allocation should have died with 1.0.

After getting fishing to 50, been focusing exclusively on crafting.  Also, looking like Famfrit or Coeurl for world transfer.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 129 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: