Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 08:29:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335169 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 133 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 149247 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: November 03, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »

Welcome to the new FF XIV ARR, if your not hard core, end game only, and geared to the teeth your pretty much an outcast....

This is the opposite complaint coming out of lots of people I know (game's not "hardcore" enough), and I find it an odd complaint out of someone who played lots of 1.0 since that was pretty heavy on the timesink even after all the changes they made to the game.

I do not mind the game's pace at all. I like that I can log in for just a few hours a week and keep up on endgame myself. What I don't like is how shallow the game's RPG elements are and how some stuff feels unfinished. Stat points don't matter much, only like 2 cross class skills are actually important etc. Latter is stuff like you can't dye almost any endgame gear, lots of model clipping, FATE grinding is a horrible substitute for lack of questing content etc.

Found myself mostly gathering and crafting whenever I log in, I find it the best part of the game. That, and the boss fights are fun. Running the same 2 dungeons over and over gets tiring after about halfway through your first week doing it, though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:38:54 AM by Hathen » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1516 on: November 03, 2013, 02:37:26 AM »

I think he's referring to shout groups in Revenant's Toll more than anything. Also while an overgeared group does make farming Primals faster and easier, it shouldn't be accepted as gospel that you *need* full DL and a relic to actually do the fight, which is what the original complaint was.

It's unfortunate because it does nothing to advance new players who hit cap and discourages them from even trying to prepare for endgame because so many people demand exclusivity for invites. So you have this massive divide of players who want elite runs in shout groups and DF groups which end up being the blind leading the blind. Unless there's people willing to meet in the middle, it's going to drive new players away from endgame and the population will suffer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:42:31 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1517 on: November 03, 2013, 03:09:03 AM »

That features in just above every MMO though, which is why I still find it an odd complaint to act like it happens in ARR and not any other MMO including XIV 1.0. I agree though, it also doesn't help that the dev team lacks some common sense when considering player-to-player interactions. The game should've launched with both dungeon gearchecks and a party votekick function, and while they're going to add the former soon, they're still floundering around with the latter trying stupid things like a thumbs up system and an AFK-autokick for dungeons which not only doesn't solve the DF griefer problem but also makes it so that people legitimately needing to go afk get punished. Like in XI it feels like SE is again designing the game solely around how JP players interact (they're generally a lot friendlier in groups).
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1518 on: November 03, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »

The game should've launched with both dungeon gearchecks and a party votekick function, and while they're going to add the former soon, they're still floundering around with the latter trying stupid things like a thumbs up system and an AFK-autokick for dungeons which not only doesn't solve the DF griefer problem but also makes it so that people legitimately needing to go afk get punished. Like in XI it feels like SE is again designing the game solely around how JP players interact (they're generally a lot friendlier in groups).

Not to mention the game has an autorun button, so it doesn't take much to continue griefing by going AFK
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: November 03, 2013, 12:12:21 PM »

Yeah, some of the demands I've seen in Revanents Toll are a bit much. Relic only for Wanderer's Palace? I didn't have the heart to tell him three friends and I cleared it twice the night before with no relics and no DL, and it was our first time in WP. So my only guess is they wanted to speed run - all three random tanks we got last night in most of my WP runs seemed keen on doing that. One liked us so much she was hoping we were from her server (we weren't), the second was pretty heated and the third was well geared but an asshole. /dutyfinderproblems

Anyway, I'm coming up on Titan hard mode and 900 tomestones thereabouts ... I'm being told I'm better off getting my darklight chest piece first before even finishing off my relic weapon. I'm still in AF gear, so I badly need it anyway. I'll just hope really hard for a primal weapon....

Edit because I don't want to make a new post: what progression do you generally take when buying up darklight gear? I guess I'll be going chestpiece > relic weapon > head/hands/legs/feet (I kind of bought a belt already) > jewelry accessories.

Knowing me, it'll take a while. I don't know how you guys do it with multiple jobs. I barely keep up just as a dragoon.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:13:02 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1520 on: November 03, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »

If you have the AK body for your drg, don't worry about the dl body yet, though as a drg you may want some darklight before attempting titan anyway. Bombs can get dangerously close to one shotting you, so you may want the gear to survive an accidental bomb you didn't avoid in time. If you can win before getting any darklight gear at all, I'd say Gae Bolg would take priority, then dl armor as you desire starting with your lowest end pieces, then accessories. The Gae Bolg is 3 damage higher than then next best spear you can have which is garuda or titan's or the HQ Obelisk, and has better stats than any of the 3, so it's definitely worthwhile in pure damage,and given that you're a drg damage is imperative. Doing terribly basic eyeball math, I've seen that 30 strength is about a 10% damage increase, so keep that in mind when selecting gear upgrades (though this observation was made on warrior, and doesn't take determination into account).

I'm actually stuck with a hard choice to make right now. I still am working on my war for gear and such,but now that my drg is nearly full DL and has a Gae Bolg, idk if I should +1 it yet, or continue buying myth upgrades for my war. Really a hard decision :(

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1521 on: November 03, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »

+1ing the relic depends on the class. DRG gets a decent bit out of it because its +2 DMG and crit rating. Bard on the other hand gets a lot less out of it because Artemis Bow +1 only gives +1 DMG and the secondary stat on it is Skill Speed of all things.

And yes, if somebody's doing Wanderer's Palace with only relics it's probably because they're trying to cut down on their runtimes, and I really see no problem with what they're doing. I'm all for helping new players with the game but I'm not going to be doing it every time I run the dungeon especially if I'm bothering to shout for it. You can partially blame SE for giving the playerbase a grand total of 2 dungeons to spamran for points but regardless of how many dungeons there are people will always do this because they want to save time. Being picky in the DF is unreasonable (although they're adding more options to help with that, but this is yet another stupid addition because all the trolls will checkbox speedruns to grief instead, new players will checkbox speedruns out of desperation etc) but why would you complain about people setting their own requirements for what their members are wearing if they're bothering to form a custom group?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1522 on: November 03, 2013, 04:56:42 PM »

He's got a good point, if I'm forming the run I usually get to call the preferences out. I'm not one to complain about gear in regards to simple dungeon runs, but if we're doing garuda and you're in full AF armor.....we have a problem. Same deal with titan, don't bother without at least a primal weapon (preferably garuda's) and full AK armor (accessories are less needed but still preferred). If you have full AK gear then you should be able to afford at least a piece of good DL gear too.

TASTY!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1523 on: November 03, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »

+1ing the relic depends on the class. DRG gets a decent bit out of it because its +2 DMG and crit rating. Bard on the other hand gets a lot less out of it because Artemis Bow +1 only gives +1 DMG and the secondary stat on it is Skill Speed of all things.

And yes, if somebody's doing Wanderer's Palace with only relics it's probably because they're trying to cut down on their runtimes, and I really see no problem with what they're doing. I'm all for helping new players with the game but I'm not going to be doing it every time I run the dungeon especially if I'm bothering to shout for it. You can partially blame SE for giving the playerbase a grand total of 2 dungeons to spamran for points but regardless of how many dungeons there are people will always do this because they want to save time. Being picky in the DF is unreasonable (although they're adding more options to help with that, but this is yet another stupid addition because all the trolls will checkbox speedruns to grief instead, new players will checkbox speedruns out of desperation etc) but why would you complain about people setting their own requirements for what their members are wearing if they're bothering to form a custom group?
This, so this. Another thing its usually only the geared people going through  the effort to recruit for groups. You rarely see the people who are not as geared shouting for no req or normal runs. The problem would not be as bad If people took the effort to form their own groups. It is not hard, and does not take much time managing. I have formed relic only and no requirement groups, and they fill up almost just as fast. Usually the hold up is A tank. Instead people bitch and complain in shout instead of forming their own group.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:22:17 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: November 03, 2013, 06:10:32 PM »

Dude. I'm not complaining. We were talking about how people have requirements for endgame stuff and I was making an observation (the Revenants Toll shout group) . That's it. I don't join shout/yell groups, so no, I don't actually care all that much what other people are doing for their farming runs.

But at least it's two dungeons and not one! I hear WP used to drop 50 philosophy and no myth before the recent big patch. And I didn't do so hot in AK against the demon wall, so um I don't want to farm that dungeon yet.

I'm going to see how Titan goes with my friends, honestly. I still have AF, but got really lucky against Garuda HM and never died (took bunches of damage though), I still expect Titan to be way difficult no matter what my gear is. Maybe I'll luck out, beat it and get a spear of crags, but that's asking a lot. Worse comes to worst , I grind for darklight stuff.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 06:12:47 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1525 on: November 03, 2013, 06:53:12 PM »

exclusive footage of titan extreme difficulty
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1526 on: November 03, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »

Dude. I'm not complaining. We were talking about how people have requirements for endgame stuff and I was making an observation (the Revenants Toll shout group) . That's it. I don't join shout/yell groups, so no, I don't actually care all that much what other people are doing for their farming runs.

But at least it's two dungeons and not one! I hear WP used to drop 50 philosophy and no myth before the recent big patch. And I didn't do so hot in AK against the demon wall, so um I don't want to farm that dungeon yet.

I'm going to see how Titan goes with my friends, honestly. I still have AF, but got really lucky against Garuda HM and never died (took bunches of damage though), I still expect Titan to be way difficult no matter what my gear is. Maybe I'll luck out, beat it and get a spear of crags, but that's asking a lot. Worse comes to worst , I grind for darklight stuff.
that wasn't directed at you. There are people that will straight up send you hate tells or provoke you in chat/tells for forming relic groups, or cry about it.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1527 on: November 03, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »

Hahahaha. Fucking AWESOME.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1528 on: November 03, 2013, 07:18:15 PM »

That went just about as well as the FF4 battle with Titan.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: November 03, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »

that wasn't directed at you. There are people that will straight up send you hate tells or provoke you in chat/tells for forming relic groups, or cry about it.

Oh that was directed at Hathen. Hating on people for forming relic/farming groups is just as dumb as people who used to end Dark Devices early solely to spite others.

EDIT: Hahaha that video is fucking priceless.

@Agent D. I totally vote for working on dragoon stuff, but I'm biased. =P
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:54:50 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 133 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: