Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:06:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327662 Posts in 13414 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 129 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 118574 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1530 on: November 03, 2013, 10:37:47 PM »

i think the lack of logical progression at endgame is a real problem. in ffxi i never felt like my gear was an issue for progression

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: November 04, 2013, 02:36:59 AM »

Totally caved and got my relic. SHINY

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1532 on: November 04, 2013, 02:38:22 AM »

Totally caved and got my relic. SHINY
How'd the fight go?

TASTY!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1533 on: November 04, 2013, 03:01:40 AM »

It was mostly because you said this

I didn't have the heart to tell him three friends and I cleared it twice the night before with no relics and no DL, and it was our first time in WP.

Which made me think you don't like it when people shout for relic-only parties. For the record I've never done shout groups myself either, I always either go with friends or use the DF. I'm hardly picky about who I go with as long as they arn't the kind of players that are halfway asleep when they play the game and get hit by every AoE.

i think the lack of logical progression at endgame is a real problem. in ffxi i never felt like my gear was an issue for progression

I'm not sure what you mean by "logical", if anything the precise problem with MMOs now is that progression is too "logical" in that its tiered into specific levels of difficulty (ilevel) instead of having a ton of lateral progression that games like XI (used to) have. It's done because it's easier to design for because lateral expansion of a game's content means they have to constantly think of new ways to challenge the player, whereas in vertical progression the only thing you need to really do is increase the numbers and you're done for the day. So far they've been pretty good about the variety in the boss fights, but its easier to do that when you only have a few boss fights. We'll see what happens as we get more content.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 04, 2013, 03:07:26 AM »

Brutal, well on my part haha. Tenchi and his FC helped a few of us (thanks!), I'm glad that if I had to die, that I didn't fall over the edge so I could actually watch the fight. Man that was tricky as hell. Once I get better gear and know these battles better I hope to help people with the same.

I never said anywhere that I didn't *like* it, Hathen. You came up with that interpretation all on your own. I repeat: It was an observation and me going 'well, you don't need relics whatsoever in WP, but okay' before realizing they just want to run it faster. You know, after I realized it's a good dungeon to farm for tomestones now. I should know, I've now done WP a bunch of times since that day.

....and now I have a relic and can farm WP faster. And AK one day.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1535 on: November 04, 2013, 03:35:15 AM »

I got you the first time you explained, I was just explaining myself why your first post made me think otherwise. I'm seriously not even trying to make a big deal out of it or anything- go back and read what you posted because you directly said "It's a bit much" and implied that the guy asking for relics wouldn't be able to handle the fact people have cleared it without DL and relics before.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1536 on: November 04, 2013, 03:36:33 AM »

A relic wielder who can't run AK...

kyuusei, I say this only to be fair, you are the reason I hate duty finder.

@Hathen
Be fair, we carry newbs through ak all the time, lol.

TASTY!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 04, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

Well that was before I figured they were going to farm it. But even then, I wasn't *complaining.*

Agent D, uh, why? I haven't done AK with a relic. I've done it only once (relic quest) with like a grand company weapon. and I'm never going to DF that dungeon anyway. (I DF as few things as possible. Anything new to me is out of the question. I have lots of people on my server to play with.)

(Aside: my problem was demon wall, but again I've only tried it exactly once AND with a much weaker weapon.)

Elitist attitudes like that are why I hate duty finder. If you wanna be picky about who comes along, make a shout group or get with friends.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:29:01 AM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1538 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »

You have a relic lance. You joining an AK run and not knowing what to do on the bosses is unfair to the rest of the players who see you with a weapon far beyond the level of the dungeon you're running. I can't see how it's elitism when you're basically telling me that we should hold your hand when you're using equipment everyone busts their hump to get. Please understand that I'm not referring to you directly, just the concept of players in general who get their gear handed to them and get mad when people complain how they suck. It's infuriating to see one person fuck up and make everyone else work harder to cover their slack, especially when the player has stuff that takes work to get. It's like the one guy in an office who does nothing but still gets paid, but he's also in a higher position than you.

I spent a lot of time teaching people how to run AK, and WP,and now even turn 1 of BC. So don't think me an elitist, as I can be upset about how my time is spent teaching people how to play when they oughta do that themselves.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1539 on: November 04, 2013, 10:52:46 AM »

Two things:

1. HATE when people tell me to learn a fight beforehand. Sorry, that's not how I play. The content wasn't released with a how-to video, why must I watch one now?

2. "Your'e wasting my time." You're wasting your own time. I'm wasting my own time. We're playing a game, get over yourself.

Note: "You" refers to nobody in particular here.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07:46 AM »

Did you miss the part where I said I'm not doing AK yet? Where I said I won't DF AK, or unfamiliar dungeons or fights and have people to play with? I will get familiar with and do AK when my FC wants to farm it, but even with a Gae Bolg I'm not going to do three random people via DF the disservice of only ever having done it once. I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what you're talking about. I learn dungeons with my FC, or with Tenchi's if there aren't enough of us for an 8-player fight. I don't learn any of them with randoms. When I use DF, it's for things I'm familiar with.

Also, what klutz64 said.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1541 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:05 AM »

People are getting offended, it seems, so I'm gonna back away from this convo before I insult someone directly.

At the end of the day, we all have different opinions in regards to playstyle. I may not like it, but I'll continue to deal with it as such, as will any of us playing the game. The game still keeps our attention, so it does something right.

TASTY!
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 04, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »

Yes to different opinions. However, it's hard to not be offended when you say 'people like you are why I hate DF' and complain about something I'm not even doing. Just putting that out there. And now I'm done on that topic.

I guess 2.1 is coming 'later in December.' Which is fine, gives me lots of time to farm and do stuff I haven't done. Coil is far off yet.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:14:22 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1543 on: November 04, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »

I guess a lot of my bitterness comes from the fact that I get sucked into depression knowing that my warrior has been worked on so hard and everyone bitches about me not being a pld instead. I had to work twice as hard as most players to get what I have now simply due to number crunchers stating warriors are inferior, meanwhile I've saved 4 titan runs as a war because I learned every trick possible to fight him, and continuously due stuff for people like chimera and hydra just to show that a skilled war is far better than a shitty pld. When I see someone get a relic I get almost jealous knowing that they're just getting more options open to them and I get to rage at how another pld is gonna get picked over me for Coil runs.

To help you understand my rage better, 2 pld party for turn 1 last night, both were in full DL and with relic +1. Neither could effectively do BC with the strat the leader suggested. When I explained my war strat, which revolved around simply eating hits instead of nerfing buffs, we won on the second attempt. The leader refused my war because they wanted to be safe with 2 plds. My strategy worked over his....

I swear to god Warrior was literally designed for me as a person, as I am always at max wrath and constantly use Infuriate.

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1544 on: November 04, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »

It was mostly because you said this

I didn't have the heart to tell him three friends and I cleared it twice the night before with no relics and no DL, and it was our first time in WP.

Which made me think you don't like it when people shout for relic-only parties. For the record I've never done shout groups myself either, I always either go with friends or use the DF. I'm hardly picky about who I go with as long as they arn't the kind of players that are halfway asleep when they play the game and get hit by every AoE.

I'm not sure what you mean by "logical", if anything the precise problem with MMOs now is that progression is too "logical" in that its tiered into specific levels of difficulty (ilevel) instead of having a ton of lateral progression that games like XI (used to) have. It's done because it's easier to design for because lateral expansion of a game's content means they have to constantly think of new ways to challenge the player, whereas in vertical progression the only thing you need to really do is increase the numbers and you're done for the day. So far they've been pretty good about the variety in the boss fights, but its easier to do that when you only have a few boss fights. We'll see what happens as we get more content.

i don't think you get what i'm getting at...titan hm is the only content that would require a primal weapon. so your getting it to clear one fight then it's obsolete...

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 129 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: