Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:08:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327636 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 129 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 118483 times)
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: July 05, 2013, 01:08:39 AM »

I've seen videos with herds (packs? gaggles?) of chocobos with different armor sets. Do we know if these are simply different mounts, or can you actually buy/craft gear for your mounts? If so, does the gear have stats of any kind or is it simply vanity?

Not the most important question, but it's something I've been curious about.

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
WDNall

WDrgnNall@gmail.com WDrgnNall
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2013, 01:53:51 AM »

I think that it was mentioned that the chocobo armor could be crafted in the future? along with magitek armor parts. might be wrong though. not sure if it'll affect stats either. as for XIV.. I'm just looking forward to playing it more. I've been sitting around here thinking "wish I could play XIV". it's to the point i'm not really interested in playing anything else. I love crafting and mining. I also love the battle system. I can't wait to explore more areas, and see more of the storyline. :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:55:59 AM by WDNall » Logged

psn id WDNall
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2013, 02:11:42 AM »

OH BOY OH BOY, IT'S BETA TIEM!

WHOOPS, I lied, just a patch.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:16:03 AM by Agent D. » Logged

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 05, 2013, 02:40:21 AM »

I've seen videos with herds (packs? gaggles?) of chocobos with different armor sets. Do we know if these are simply different mounts, or can you actually buy/craft gear for your mounts? If so, does the gear have stats of any kind or is it simply vanity?

Not the most important question, but it's something I've been curious about.

Some of the armor will be vanity, some will be functional. The Companion system is playable right now in beta but your AI choices are pretty limited to Healer, Attacker, Defender. Yoshida's vision is to enable the mounts to fill in as functional members of the party kind of like the Adventuring Fellow system they had in XI.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »

I'm trying out Conjurer. I fall into that gay gaming stereotype of preferring to support. I saw a guy dying to some tree thing way above his level, so I casted Cure on him. The tree took great offense to this and chased me around and killed me. ;-;

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »

Yeah, I'm always, always a healy-support class.  Or a mage of some kind.  Without MP I feel naked.

I've done a few dungeon runs now, everyone I've met has been incredibly helpful. But damn you, Emergency maintenance to my world!  Right when I was about to do some Leves.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »

I do wish at least Conjurers could cast support spells like protect on non-party members.  Not really something worth complaining about, but it would give the game a more old-school feel. I also REALLY hope the team doesn't go too far with the focus on dungeons and the dungeon finder.

So many MMO's have just devolved into wait in dungeon queue, play through dungeon, then rinse and repeat. It's like the outside world -- where the *massively* multiplayer part of the genre exists -- no longer matters. I don't see that happening in XIV YET, but I do see the potential for it becoming something like that.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:49 AM »

Yeah, both CNJ and WHM are severely limited in support abilities.  There's not a lot of variation.  It's just Cure -> Cure II.

Maybe it's because I came from XI, where a typical rotation included Haste, Barspells, Debuffs, Regens, alongside the cures that I find the healing classes lacking here.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »

On the subject of XI, I'd love to see cooperative attacks of some kind.  Melee characters working together to make stronger attacks ala Skillchains, allowing magical attacks to influence each other, and so on (even if only something minor, in the vein of NIN or AM temporary elemental weaknesses).  Feeling as if you weren't just playing solo while in a group was really exemplified there, especially in earlier years of its existence.

I'd like to see more class-unique equipment, especially for the "basic" classes (CNJ/THM/MRD/so on).

I will state my absolute love for how crafting is done and I feel it's well balanced, though I'm worried about its long-term use in comparison to event armors  Still, I expect a few pieces to be used even at end-game content.

If it's anything like XI, then the first expansion will be what really turns the game around (not that ARR isn't great already) with new content and storylines.  I'm still hoping (probably futilely) for some type of BLU at some point!

Well let me allay some of those fears.
1. While you don't have skillchains, the party works together for the Limit Break and does require teamwork. Executing it is simple, filling the gauge effectively requires skill and using it requires planning. I would like to see something similar to skillchains in the future though.

2. There are class specific gear. They're awesome.

class specific? looks like that archer is wearing foe striker.
anyways experimenting with leveling classes without quests and i think 5-10 is almost unbearble.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »

I love all those class specific gear stuff, though I think Marauder and Gladiator look too much like their job counterparts.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »

I think a lot of the "buff" spells are going to be coming from Arcanist. I could be wrong though. Then you can mix and match with your CNJ/THAU stuff!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »

Ok, it's driving me nuts but HOW THE HELL DO YOU SORT YOUR INVENTORY?

I can find no option to do so anywhere. Also, is there a guide or something to unlocking warrior? I'm intrigued by it.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2013, 09:07:56 PM »

The weapons are CSE, alot of the equipment featured is class only - job restricted.

More beta codes!
http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn-Closed-Beta-Key-Giveaway-NA
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 05, 2013, 09:55:33 PM »

Ok, it's driving me nuts but HOW THE HELL DO YOU SORT YOUR INVENTORY?

I can find no option to do so anywhere. Also, is there a guide or something to unlocking warrior? I'm intrigued by it.

There's no sort, yet. It's been suggested. You can't use WAR yet. They have jobs locked ATM. The only ones who can use it are imported characters who have it already.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 05, 2013, 09:59:55 PM »

I do wish at least Conjurers could cast support spells like protect on non-party members.  Not really something worth complaining about, but it would give the game a more old-school feel. I also REALLY hope the team doesn't go too far with the focus on dungeons and the dungeon finder.

So many MMO's have just devolved into wait in dungeon queue, play through dungeon, then rinse and repeat. It's like the outside world -- where the *massively* multiplayer part of the genre exists -- no longer matters. I don't see that happening in XIV YET, but I do see the potential for it becoming something like that.

Well there's alot of content planned outside of dungeons. The high level FATEs like Behemoth and Odin are open world. Hamlet and Guildhests are outdoors too. They're using ideas from everywhere so I don't think they have any intention of channeling WoW's problems.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 129 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: