Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:36:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319189 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 125 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 86923 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:31:42 PM »

I don't know that I'd have made a side by side pc/ps3 comparison like that, because damn. I mean, I know most pcs aren't going to look like that, but it certainly made the ps3 version look like shit.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »

Licensing fee.  Used to see price differential all the time before.  Then companies got smart and figured they could just make their games more expensive on PC and pocket the pure profit.

It think you mean PS3 :p

Anyway, new tour video is up on OH MY FUCKING GOD ODIN~!

http://youtu.be/8JQ87KtH1G8

No, I mean when the average PC game went from $10 less than the console versions to the same dollar amount, not the up-shift from $50 to $60.  Instead of seeing a $50 equivalent on PC, we got the same $60 even though there's no licensing fee.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »

Kinda reminds me of playstation home....only less cat girls.

TASTY!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »

Collector's edition pre-ordered.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 11:56:17 PM »

Licensing fee.  Used to see price differential all the time before.  Then companies got smart and figured they could just make their games more expensive on PC and pocket the pure profit.

It think you mean PS3 :p

Anyway, new tour video is up on OH MY FUCKING GOD ODIN~!

http://youtu.be/8JQ87KtH1G8

No, I mean when the average PC game went from $10 less than the console versions to the same dollar amount, not the up-shift from $50 to $60.  Instead of seeing a $50 equivalent on PC, we got the same $60 even though there's no licensing fee.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you since the question he asked was why the PS3 version was more expensive, which you answered, but then you went on to talk about how that's not really the case anymore in regards to pricing differences.
I actually don't see that much at all outside of certain franchises (CoD for example), but then again I don't recall the last time I actually bought a physical copy of anything for the PC. Steam and GMG are my friends.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 12:01:56 AM »

I don't know that I'd have made a side by side pc/ps3 comparison like that, because damn. I mean, I know most pcs aren't going to look like that, but it certainly made the ps3 version look like shit.

In all honesty I don't think the PS3 version looks that bad. For one that was a terrible capture with tons of artifacting for all of the footage. If you remember our first video of the PS3 version the frame rate was atrocious. Obviously you're going to have downgraded textures, resolution and lighting, and probably a 30fps cap, but its serviceable. Not everyone is going to be running the game on a GTX 660+ so a low to mid grade PC will probably be very similar to the PS3 version.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 02:10:40 AM »

Hell, it looked fine to me. You pc gamers care about visuals too much. The best pc games all look like crap anyway.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 06:25:32 AM »

I'm tempted to jump with the PS3 version because of the Collector's Edition, is either that or wait a few years for a PS4 version. :T

Hell, it looked fine to me. You pc gamers care about visuals too much. The best pc games all look like crap anyway.

Graphics do matter but is way more important that the game runs fine.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »

All the locales looked amazing.  Only question left is to buy the digital collectors edition or pony up $40 more for the physical collectors edition for the artbook and soundtrack. 

How does early access work if you buy the physical collectors edition or do you not get early access with the physical edition?

Yeah, it didn't look too great that's for sure.  The old videos showcasing the PS3 version didn't look great either, but hopefully the final version turns out looking somewhat better.

wat

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »

Probably works the same way that the Guild Wars 2 early access worked. You get a code upon pre-order to download the digital version, and then you have to insert the disc within a few days of release to prevent the game from locking you out.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »

You will most likely get an early access code via email once they are distributed by SE. Beta phase 4 is open beta and head start rolled into one so I'm not sure how they're going to differentiate that early access bonus unless that gets you into Phase 3. It's possible they mean to bring the servers back up a few days before retail launch just for early access, though that would be pointless since all data from beta phase 4 is supposed to carry forward into release. Hopefully more info will be available once Phase 3 starts. 

My question is that if they are letting us import our characters from ver 1.0 for phase 3, what's the point of the character wipe for phase 4? They didn't wipe characters from phase 1 going into 2 like they said they would, so there's reason to beleive that they won't bother for phase 4. If that's the case, then you can look at beta phase 3 as the unofficial launch for returning players :)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »

I am expecting the PS3 version to run off of the hard drive like its PC counterpart.  It's the only way they'd be able to have the early access thing work for console players.

I went with the PS3 collector's edition since I can just download the PC version and play on that if I decide the PS3 version isn't up to snuff.  That, and I already have the old school FFXIV PC collector's edition in all its shitty glory.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 01:56:47 AM »

So, the Live Letter detailing the rest of beta and launch stuff is at 6am PST this morning. Found some pretty nice news on the forums today too.
Producer and Director Yoshida here.

I apologize for the delay in preparing various announcements.

With the beginning of official service on 8/27, we will be implementing a two-week long Welcome Back Campaign for those of you who have a FFXIV 1.0 service account, regardless if you are a Legacy Member or if you have Collector’s Edition/Standard Edition. During this time period you can try out FFXIV: ARR for free, so please take this opportunity to check out the game!

Once the date draws closer we will be announcing the details on the Lodestone as well as sending out an email from the development team.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 09:31:07 AM »

I would easily try this game if it wasnt subscription based. Ive had my fill of that for 5 years with World of Warcraft. It would make much more sense to have a model based around the one of Guild Wars 2 where you buy the game and it's done, not only for the sake of convenience but also because it is also being released on a console. Atleast that's the way I see it.
Can't see myself playing this unless it is something out of this world under these circumstances.

http://backloggery.com/holykael1 - For all my playing shenanigans
"It takes nothing but a single pint of milk to ruin the pure, black magic of the coffee."
"Darker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself...that is coffee."
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 11:19:57 AM »

So the new Live Letter is going on. Some interesting new details.

1. Scholar is confirmed as the 9th job - details will be at E3.
2. Chocobos as companions will be implemented in Phase 3 of beta. They will have general AI "Stances" that determine their actions. They will also have a skill tree based on the stances.
3. Duty Finder will restrict you to one Job/Class as well as which role you plan to fill. There will be an automatic Level Synch when joining an automatic party.
4. New hairstyles will be available, and a barbershop to change styles in-game will be available in patch 2.1 (first patch after launch I guess?).
5. Beta Phase 3 will continue the weekend only schedule initially but will progress to a 24/7 stress test.

PS3 version was showed in greater detail, character creation, exploration and combat. Overall there are some decent aspects, and some disappointing parts I saw in the stream.

Pro:
Great environmental frame rate. Exploration doesn't seem to have any snags at all.
Full environment line of sight. There is no discernible difference in environmental draw distance I saw between both versions.
Player combat animations are smooth, combat effects are also entirely intact.
Some form of edge AA is in place, but is very distance based. Farther objects appear to have no AA. Zooming in on character creation was very clean, the background however ...wasn't.
Lighting appears to be entirely intact.

Cons:
Textures are downgraded, significantly. This is mostly seen on NPC models and some buildings. Player models don't seem to be quite that bad, but it's very noticeable.
Both monster and humanoid NPCs are animated pretty poorly. Town NPCs look like shutter animation. Larger monsters in particularly look like they are clay animated. This is even worse at a distance.
Color seems a bit washed out.
UI takes up way too much screen space.

That's pretty much all for now. Will update as it develops.

Full thread here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/62075-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-VII-Q-A-Updates

edit - Beta Phase 3 begins June 14th. I knew it would be after E3, but sheesh, a month and a half wait from the close of phase 2 is a bit much.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:41:15 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 125 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: