So the new Live Letter is going on. Some interesting new details.
1. Scholar is confirmed as the 9th job - details will be at E3.
2. Chocobos as companions will be implemented in Phase 3 of beta. They will have general AI "Stances" that determine their actions. They will also have a skill tree based on the stances.
3. Duty Finder will restrict you to one Job/Class as well as which role you plan to fill. There will be an automatic Level Synch when joining an automatic party.
4. New hairstyles will be available, and a barbershop to change styles in-game will be available in patch 2.1 (first patch after launch I guess?).
5. Beta Phase 3 will continue the weekend only schedule initially but will progress to a 24/7 stress test.
PS3 version was showed in greater detail, character creation, exploration and combat. Overall there are some decent aspects, and some disappointing parts I saw in the stream.
Great environmental frame rate. Exploration doesn't seem to have any snags at all.
Full environment line of sight. There is no discernible difference in environmental draw distance I saw between both versions.
Player combat animations are smooth, combat effects are also entirely intact.
Some form of edge AA is in place, but is very distance based. Farther objects appear to have no AA. Zooming in on character creation was very clean, the background however ...wasn't.
Lighting appears to be entirely intact.
Textures are downgraded, significantly. This is mostly seen on NPC models and some buildings. Player models don't seem to be quite that bad, but it's very noticeable.
Both monster and humanoid NPCs are animated pretty poorly. Town NPCs look like shutter animation. Larger monsters in particularly look like they are clay animated. This is even worse at a distance.
Color seems a bit washed out.
UI takes up way too much screen space.
That's pretty much all for now. Will update as it develops.
Full thread here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/62075-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-VII-Q-A-Updates
edit - Beta Phase 3 begins June 14th. I knew it would be after E3, but sheesh, a month and a half wait from the close of phase 2 is a bit much.