Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 07:05:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334702 Posts in 13707 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 133 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 145315 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: July 04, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »

Canon, continuity, plot holes, who gives a fuck? You want the perfect story write it yourself. These guys are making it, you are fully allowed to choose whether you like it or not, but that's pretty much the extent of your allowances.

On a side note, whos' bright idea was it to include Lightning in XIV? Seriously, XIII is not that good why the hell is it getting so much push? Did a writer lose a bet with some perverted old man and have to make his fanfiction come true?

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: July 04, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »

It's just an event.

She's not part of the main story.

It's probably there because Lightning gets a FFXIV outfit in Lightning Returns.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #257 on: July 04, 2013, 06:30:47 PM »

It's just an event.

She's not part of the main story.

It's probably there because Lightning gets a FFXIV outfit in Lightning Returns.
I mean I love Lightning and all, second hottest FF heroine next to everyone's favorite doormat Tifa, but fuck she's a terrible character. 2 games devoted to her and a whole sidequsst dlc in a game about finding her... fuck already, let the character die gracefully already. No one revived Aeris, even though EVERYONE tried (numerous cameos and prequels don't count).

If I get crap for spoilers here btw, the person who complains better get banned for having nit played FFVII yet.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: July 04, 2013, 07:38:31 PM »

^There you go again shoving your point of view down people's throats. :p

About Lightning being in ARR Ehren Rivers from the Nova Crystallis site made a good post about that:

"Well, this is pretty much Yoshida's doing. Toriyama revealed that they'd put a XIV default gear (Miqo'te) into Lightning Returns as a costume for he, seemingly as a "congrats" for turning things around so amazingly with XIV. Yoshida didn't want to let the favor go unreturned, and was excited to see what he could do with it.

EDIT: And to be clear, Yoshida loves the nostalgia factor and will likely continue to jam-pack ARR with stuff from older Final Fantasies."

And that's it.

Canon, continuity, plot holes, who gives a fuck?

Tell that to any Metal Gear fan.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: July 04, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

Okay, I'm fine with this under ONE CONDITION.

If at any time during this event or whatever related to Lightning's presence in FFXIV any NPC utters the word "Paradox" I will most likely RAGEQUIT then and there.
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: July 04, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

I think it would be much easier to just not partake in the event. Unless you really want a Gunblade, then I think you'll have to deal with it. :)

SO HEY. That new tour is pretty spiffy, huh? http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2013/1529.html

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: July 04, 2013, 08:47:04 PM »

I'm resisting the urge to watch it with all my might.  I want some things fresh and new when the game releases.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: July 04, 2013, 10:38:06 PM »

ugh just listened to the podcast and people are making me want to get back on my monk, I am legacy so I still have my key. Guess just someday say something when the phase where you get to keep your progress starts.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: July 04, 2013, 11:24:03 PM »

^There you go again shoving your point of view down people's throats. :p

About Lightning being in ARR Ehren Rivers from the Nova Crystallis site made a good post about that:

"Well, this is pretty much Yoshida's doing. Toriyama revealed that they'd put a XIV default gear (Miqo'te) into Lightning Returns as a costume for he, seemingly as a "congrats" for turning things around so amazingly with XIV. Yoshida didn't want to let the favor go unreturned, and was excited to see what he could do with it.

EDIT: And to be clear, Yoshida loves the nostalgia factor and will likely continue to jam-pack ARR with stuff from older Final Fantasies."

And that's it.

Canon, continuity, plot holes, who gives a fuck?

Tell that to any Metal Gear fan.
Hey....nanomachines...

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »

Hey....nanomachines...

Metal Gear is not about that. Nanomachines are part of the narrative, but the series is not about that.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2013, 11:32:50 PM »

Hey....nanomachines...

Metal Gear is not about that. Nanomachines are part of the narrative, but the series is not about that.
Metal Gear?!

Edit: on topic, what time does the next testing date start? I had just started leveling pug, since only a fool trusts his life to a weapon (that was for you ygg, I still love you as a fellow metal gear fan).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 11:40:32 PM by Agent D. » Logged

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2013, 11:39:13 PM »

Wow guys, tangent?

Even though we're still in Phase 3 and its all getting flushed in a couple weeks, I'm excited as fuck to actually play ON MY DAYS OFF! Seriously this weekend thing is for the birds. So glad we'll have decent continuity of playtime. People are practically frothing at the mouth to get online again.

So in the spirit of the developing game, what are some of the things you like most about the game and which aspects do you find less appealing? What parts of the game are you looking forward to that you haven't been able to experience yet?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: July 04, 2013, 11:53:42 PM »

Honestly Tenchi, I am just dying to play it more. The gameplay is fast paced for an mmo and more active. Even running from overwhelming odds (adamantoises in my training zones much?)is less a battle of luck and more controlled by the player. Having played XI for as long as I did, this game has such a level of player control that any lingering feeling I had for XI is gone. It's not Dragon's Dogma or Mass Effect, but I have control of what I do to a much broader degree, enough so that enemies that are normally too strong to go shot for shot with can now be effectively fought and dodged. I control my fights now, and that's a big sell point for me.

I also like the crafting. It's simple but rewarding, and addictive. A little less controllable as sometimes those odds of success just say fuck you and you blow up 3 times in a row, but you have options to improve your odds and lessen that window of failure. It's also much faster and materials don't cost an arm, leg, and chocobo, allowing anyone to work on making progress.

Seriously, everything in FFXI is done better in XIV. I'm ecstatic to be in this beta and experiencing even the unfinished version of this game. Squeenix, they fucked up a lot of stuff before this, and they will drop the ball on more to come for sure, but this has renewed my faith in them.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: July 05, 2013, 12:04:29 AM »

On the subject of XI, I'd love to see cooperative attacks of some kind.  Melee characters working together to make stronger attacks ala Skillchains, allowing magical attacks to influence each other, and so on (even if only something minor, in the vein of NIN or AM temporary elemental weaknesses).  Feeling as if you weren't just playing solo while in a group was really exemplified there, especially in earlier years of its existence.

I'd like to see more class-unique equipment, especially for the "basic" classes (CNJ/THM/MRD/so on).

I will state my absolute love for how crafting is done and I feel it's well balanced, though I'm worried about its long-term use in comparison to event armors  Still, I expect a few pieces to be used even at end-game content.

If it's anything like XI, then the first expansion will be what really turns the game around (not that ARR isn't great already) with new content and storylines.  I'm still hoping (probably futilely) for some type of BLU at some point!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: July 05, 2013, 12:37:19 AM »

On the subject of XI, I'd love to see cooperative attacks of some kind.  Melee characters working together to make stronger attacks ala Skillchains, allowing magical attacks to influence each other, and so on (even if only something minor, in the vein of NIN or AM temporary elemental weaknesses).  Feeling as if you weren't just playing solo while in a group was really exemplified there, especially in earlier years of its existence.

I'd like to see more class-unique equipment, especially for the "basic" classes (CNJ/THM/MRD/so on).

I will state my absolute love for how crafting is done and I feel it's well balanced, though I'm worried about its long-term use in comparison to event armors  Still, I expect a few pieces to be used even at end-game content.

If it's anything like XI, then the first expansion will be what really turns the game around (not that ARR isn't great already) with new content and storylines.  I'm still hoping (probably futilely) for some type of BLU at some point!

Well let me allay some of those fears.
1. While you don't have skillchains, the party works together for the Limit Break and does require teamwork. Executing it is simple, filling the gauge effectively requires skill and using it requires planning. I would like to see something similar to skillchains in the future though.

2. There are class specific gear. They're awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 133 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: