Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:59:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338107 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 134 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 155426 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: July 07, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »

Copperbell was hard because people can't see when bombs self destruct, and DD like to stand still and flip through attacks. The slime was annoying for the same reason, but worse because of that whole exploding on the slime factor. That fight was so easy once people stopped hitting shit and let me take over directions. Honestly, the boss fights in copperbell should have been super fun, but idiots ruined them.

As for ifrit, beat him on my first try. Duty finder was failing me, so me and 2 other guys started bitching in shouts about it and ended up grouping up. Used duty finder for a healer and 3 minutes later we were engaged. I'm gonna be honest, I've been trying to avoid most of the big story stuff. What I read through I did enjoy though. It's not terribly engaging....that was until MAGITECK came into play.

I am literally so excited fof this game it's causing me to lose sleep.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: July 07, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »

The Slime was more annoying than difficult in Copperbell, but the adds in the final boss caused a lot of pain for us.  It just went pure chaos and we couldn't really kill them fast enough without sticking everything into a corner and AOE spamming. That said, Toto (the 23-26 dungeon) is difficult even with a good party, especially as a healer, that's why you see a lot of syncing in Hala.  I don't want to spoil it for you guys who haven't done it, but the final boss can be incredibly difficult as a healer or the "designated"  DD.

My Ifrit group, oh man. Rant ahead.
It was just a random group of pickups on my server.  There were 4 people in the area and the leader just added them all without thought - two Gladiators, an Archer, and a Conjurer, so we didn't have a lot of damage. To make matters worse no one communicated about tips and tactics until we got Hell Fire'd twice in a row.  I had to say "So, how do we stop the big boom?" before any discussion even started.  And then it took another two tries until the "Leader" decided that "we should attack the add" when those of us (3/4 in the party) with functioning brain cells realized it long ago.

tl;dr
Dear Lord, some people in this game, I swear.  I suppose that's what makes it a MMO.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #332 on: July 07, 2013, 02:02:37 PM »

I don't care to get all bent out of shape and stressed out when people aren't perfect at the game. It's also why I just play with friends, generally. I'm there to have fun, not get pissed because we died a couple of times. Generally speaking, that's the kind of attitude that made me stop playing MMOs when people I knew stopped playing them. Incidentally, it's also why I don't ever play anything online with randoms IE: LoL and L4D2. If you're going to yell at me about a game, I'm going to go right ahead and bounce.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2013, 02:06:14 PM »

There's nothing wrong with that, I wasn't trying to sound elitist, it just took me a long time to clear the battle (I'm not exaggerating when I say 20+ times with this party) under my circumstances and I was really annoyed when I finished.  I think a bit more communication would have solved everything.  Really, I suppose it's partially my fault for not leaving.

Not being "perfect" only becomes a problem when you're not listening to what everyone else is saying. An exaggerated example would be when there are 10 adds asleep and the same person keeps AOEing them. Once is an accident.  Three times is a problem.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:17:40 PM by Cyril » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #334 on: July 07, 2013, 02:17:10 PM »

I can appreciate that-- my apologies, I wasn't trying to sound as though I was singling YOU out, either. Communication is definitely key.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: July 07, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »

Perfection is doing the correct thing with knowledge of how to do it and no need to be explained how.

Competent is asking directions before or at least during the fight to understand better what you're supposed to be doing.

Dumbass is when while being shouted at, you continue to do the incorrect course of action and in fact get upset for being told to knock it off and follow directions.

Pathetic is when you afk for 10 minutes in a dungeon and make a whole group wait on you.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: July 07, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »

Sounds about right to me.

Really, though, in the grand scheme of things, I've only encountered one "Dumbass" so far, which is pretty good all things considered.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with a group of competent people.  I tend to appreciate people who ask for help or advice, and I've never encountered anyone who was annoyed when asked if there's anything special I need to be doing.  I actually enjoy going into lower level dungeons and helping people.

Being "Pathetic" does happen to everyone once in a while, I think we've all had emergency phone calls or the like.  I think it's somewhat excusable as long as it doesn't happen over and over again - and as long as you're not already short on time.  I'm not sure how efficient the Duty Finder is for replacing members who have left, so maybe it is better to leave in some cases? I suppose once the game releases we'll have a clearer unspoken etiquette about such things.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: July 07, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »

Well, the pathetic category should be noted as afk out of nowherr, they just stop. Especially given that you can still type and converse during cutscenes and loading screens now, there's no excuse for being MIA during a group event without notifying anyone except out of sheer indifference to your group. If you tell me your afk before you leave, i'm fine with you gone for the rest of the day, shit does happen. It's those morons who just up and walk away for a while to smoke a cigarette or something dumb and say nothing (dynamis assholes for example).

My favorite gripe in the beta thus far is the idiot whiners who shout for directions to everything. Seriously, western thanalan, every 20 minutes "Where do I get Orange Juice?" or "Where's copperbell mines?". The OJ....seriously go to a fucking shop and check for it, and the mines ARE ON THE FUCKING MAP OPEN YOUR GODDAMN MENU FOR ONCE JESUS. Seriously, this isn't ffxi, nearly any info you need for a quest is right at your menu. I will admit, however, that I nubbed out on a quest where you had to find some workers and /doubt them. 2 of them were inside a building that I didn't realize I could enter. Small series of shouts later, I was on my way again.

Definitely maining marauder at release. I realize that I make a great tank, I haven't found a group that I couldn't keep safe except for my last copperbell run. One idiot archer kept pulling the groups over and targetting a different mob from the one I would have stopped on, forcing me to expend extra tp on overpower and tomahawk spam instead of killing single enemies with Heavy Swing+Maim/Skull Sunder combos. Even after asking him to, then demanding him to, and finally threatening to leave if he didn't stop, he just kept on fucking it up. He also singlehandedly fucked up the slime fight by actively attacking the slime and pulling hate, followed by repeatedly killing the bombs and generally wasting all my tp and the healers MP curing him and then me. Such an easy fight....ruined by such a stupid asshat. Best part is he got an aetherite bow and a foestriker skirt out of it...how do the assholes always score?

TASTY!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: July 07, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »

copperbell mines is hard? wut?
the only thing that pisses me off is people doing dumb stuff like sucking at gld(lol) i only use flash once. or conj that heal in cleric stance.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: July 07, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »

copperbell mines is hard? wut?
the only thing that pisses me off is people doing dumb stuff like sucking at gld(lol) i only use flash once. or conj that heal in cleric stance.
Nothing in this game is hard so far, except finding consistent groups with people who either listen or have done the content we'd be doing then.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: July 07, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »

Man, such vastly different experiences. I really do hope they have a server only option for the duty finder so there's more social impetus to not be a dumb ass. All I can say is that the 50 Primals and dungeons are going to feast on alot of man tears and will probably weed out alot of brain dead players. I really wasn't kidding when I said the bar has been significantly lowered in a post WoW and GW2 world. I'm just glad that SE is sticking to their guns in regards to developing difficulty as you level.  I know some of the dungeons get significantly harder, and I can only imagine what Arum Vale and Cutter's Cry is going to be like in ARR. But I'm fine with that. Even the most challenging fight becomes trivial with enough practice and attention. Those kind of experiences, at least for me, are what builds player skill and growth as a team. Overcoming a challenge that had you taking dirt naps are some of the most rewarding experiences in MMOs. I haven't seen a single fight yet in 1.0 or ARR that wasn't fair. They just require precision and communication, skills that seem to have died in this era of the genre. I'm excited to see it back.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: July 07, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »

I actually think my best experience so far was the ifrit fight. Me and this one guy were bsing outside the bowl of embers battlefield and I asked about duty finderworking or not,to which he told me it was and then 5 other people started babbling about how they hadn't gotten invites yet. So I said how about that old fashioned party shout? So the first guy I had been talking with said good idea and invited me. He already had an archer there, so we just duty findered ourselves a healer and started. We discussed right before we engaged what to do, and someone enlightened us to the fetter that would spawn towards the end. Parn had given me a valuable suggestion to get second wind off the pug tree which was an invaluable idea as it saved me when I got nailed by one of his stronger attacks. But in any case,my drk dd days taught me how to get hate easily...spam stronger hits with stronger buffs up. Ifrit never took his eyes off me. The archer ran into some aoe explosion and died but we had the boss below 30% by then so it was just a case of whittle the hp down while the healer and other dd did their stuff. I went down to double digits one time which is when I used second wind and came back swinging. Easy fight was easy.

We all worked well together making sure to point out anything that needed pointing. It was a solid pick up group, and I was pleased to be a part of it.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: July 07, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »

I've been desperately hoping for a server-specific Duty Finder option.

Though my Ifrit quest was plagued with horrible people, I can fully admit it was beautifully designed. If I had a competent party, it wouldn't have been too hard, but just hard enough to keep you paying attention.  So far, I've found the difficulty curve to be nice, though I know some people had a horrible time with that level 15 quest.

Edit: On another note, I love the FATE trains.  if you did any grinding for grand Company points, you've probably seen them: 20-30 people on their Chocobos running back and forth between FATEs.  I'm sure the area they do them is different for each City, but in Ul'Dah they usually stay passive around the Highbridge.  These "trains" are so much fun to take part in, I hope they stay once the game releases.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 08:54:59 PM by Cyril » Logged
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: July 08, 2013, 06:16:14 AM »

Beta Test Phase 3 Schedule (07/08/2013)
Thank you for your participation in the beta test for FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

The testing schedule is detailed below.

Dates and Times
July 10, 2013 (Wednesday), 2:00 a.m. to July 15 (Monday), 2:00 a.m. (PDT)
July 10, 2013 (Wednesday), 9:00 a.m. to July 15 (Monday), 9:00 a.m. (GMT)
* Beta test phase 3 will conclude on Monday, July 15th. The beta test phase 4 schedule will be announced at a later time.
* Testing of the new Lodestone will conclude on Wednesday, July 17th at 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / 9:00 a.m.(GMT). Please note that the new Lodestone will be inaccessible when testing has ended.

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: July 08, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »

Copperbell was hard because people can't see when bombs self destruct, and DD like to stand still and flip through attacks. The slime was annoying for the same reason, but worse because of that whole exploding on the slime factor. That fight was so easy once people stopped hitting shit and let me take over directions. Honestly, the boss fights in copperbell should have been super fun, but idiots ruined them.

As for ifrit, beat him on my first try. Duty finder was failing me, so me and 2 other guys started bitching in shouts about it and ended up grouping up. Used duty finder for a healer and 3 minutes later we were engaged. I'm gonna be honest, I've been trying to avoid most of the big story stuff. What I read through I did enjoy though. It's not terribly engaging....that was until MAGITECK came into play.

I am literally so excited fof this game it's causing me to lose sleep.

how can you not see when they are gonna self destruct? a fucking giant red circle appears on the ground!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 134 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: