Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:53:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 133 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 146378 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: July 08, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

Play a tank and have the slimes on top of you and in your face....your area view gets a TAD clustered and makes maneuvering and perception required though not especially mandatory. I realize I should have wrote Copperbell can be hard, especially since the only time I got nailed by a self destruct was when the blasting cap was out of range of the slime and I ran in to get the slime in range. I should also note that unless you target said mob using a special attack you aren't aware of the time remaining before it goes off, so another small tip in the favor of those who had trouble in Copperbell.

Besides, experience is the best learning tool around. Get hit by an attack and now you know better to avoid it.

TASTY!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: July 08, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »

Sometimes the area isn't so clear, too. Not every AOE attack has a shiny "LOOK AT ME, I'M A DAMAGING ATTACK" circle.  Ifrit, for example, has the floor color changing.  If you're not the target of the attack, it might be a bit hard to notice at first.  That mid-boss of Hala, too, is interesting in this regard.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #347 on: July 08, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »

I actually found it easier as my THM with some healing spells to call out attacks to Mike, who was our tank. Since I'm farther from the melee, it's a bit easier for me to keep track of foes and attacks. Of course, we were on Skype so the immediacy of voice certainly helped too.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »

I actually found it easier as my THM with some healing spells to call out attacks to Mike, who was our tank. Since I'm farther from the melee, it's a bit easier for me to keep track of foes and attacks. Of course, we were on Skype so the immediacy of voice certainly helped too.
THIS, 1000% THIS.

It's the entire reason I so enthusiastically support voice chat.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2013, 04:58:32 PM »

THIS, 1000% THIS.

Yup, that's why we use ventrilo (which has a smartphone app). Works nicely for our PS3 bruddahs too.
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: July 08, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »

THIS, 1000% THIS.

Voice chat is also another reason I prefer playing with people I know vs. randoms. Our battle worked out fine, though it was annoying to remember that to communicate with our two other players, we had to type in-game.

But yeah, voice chat all the way, whatever app it's with.

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: July 08, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »

yeah i dont have a mic or a smartphone so i use skype with my vita. but typing doesnt bother me either.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: July 08, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »

yeah i dont have a mic or a smartphone so i use skype with my vita. but typing doesnt bother me either.
Before the vita I would use my psp for skype. Finding everything to use it was a hassle since no one wanted to stock the silly mic component piece, but it worked well enough for standard voice chat.

TASTY!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #353 on: July 08, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »

A cool interview!

hey look, a cool interview!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: July 08, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

A cool interview!

hey look, a cool interview!

Neat! Yeah it's really a shame about the Xbox version because of MS' exclusivity policy. Wonder how they got around it for FFXI?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: July 08, 2013, 10:51:58 PM »

That policy seems a bit archaic at this point.   Hell, even Yoshi says the same thing.  I really am a bit sad that about 1/3 of their questions were about Xbox, though.  It seems like a missed opportunity.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: July 09, 2013, 12:35:33 AM »

Pretty decent post on MMORPG.com regarding combat testing.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/389545/page/1
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: July 09, 2013, 02:53:43 AM »

on the subject of combat i will say that the duration of self buffs is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to short. also it's a massive pain to set up position for your moves with pugilist and the extra damage doesnt even seem worth it with the exception of bootshine in opo opo form since it gives a guaranteed crit wich is way bigger boost than an increase in potency.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: July 09, 2013, 08:34:47 AM »

on the subject of combat i will say that the duration of self buffs is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to short. also it's a massive pain to set up position for your moves with pugilist and the extra damage doesnt even seem worth it with the exception of bootshine in opo opo form since it gives a guaranteed crit wich is way bigger boost than an increase in potency.

I think the main thing with PUG and then with MNK is to keep your speed buff up. You'll pick up some new abilities with MNK that extend most of your forms that are also decent damage dealers. I haven't had much chance to play with it yet though.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: July 09, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »

Alisha, in regards to your photobof the blasting cap using self destruct, why do you have potions equipped on your hotbar twice? Just wonderin....

I'm curious now as to what extra abilities would be nice on marauder. I'm thinking maybe steal some stuff of gladiator like cure and flash, and second wind off pug. I was also thinking of maybe some DD buffs off other classes perhaps. I think for the duration of the next test I am gonna try the other DD classes and see what they offer. I am curious also as to how adding abilities works in total. Is it like XI where sub job is half the level, so you can use abilities that are available at half the current level of your main,or is it just whatever is available on said class' level? I'm trying to avoid reading guides as it entices me to read further, making the wait almost unbearable  because it's all I think about...

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 133 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: