Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:17:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332827 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 130 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, a Thread Reborn  (Read 140194 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #375 on: July 10, 2013, 11:22:12 PM »

If anyone's going on Leviathan when it releases, send me a tell!  I'll be playing with a few friends, but we're friendly and welcoming of new people.  I'm not on Leviathan at the moment, though.

On another note, some of these boss battles are pretty damn complex.  I'm really impressed, especially for mid-range.  I'm extremely excited to see some of the tricky designs for end-game monsters. As long as it's not like Pandaemonium Warden or Absolute Virtue.  But, if they do things like Salvage Zhayolm Remnants, it will be perfect.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #376 on: July 11, 2013, 12:14:12 AM »

What makes you think that? I believe he's said on multiple occasions that he was a fan of the game, and even threw in some homages in ARR.

anyone some brings up FFXI as a point of reference he gets defensive. ie. the idea of having individual limit breaks.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #377 on: July 11, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »

Do you know how many emails, questions, and comments he probably gets along the lines of "Why isn't this more like FFXI?" I'd get kind of pissed, too. It's the same reason any MMO designer/developer can't stand WoW.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 11, 2013, 10:39:01 PM »

I did kind of wish we could at least have had airship rides that were optionally skipped just to see the landscape, it's not like taking an underground train where there's nothing to see at all or anything.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »

I don't know if it's changed, but Yoshi did say a while back that if they ever did implement airship rides akin to FFXI, it wouldn't be for quite a while.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #380 on: July 12, 2013, 12:16:49 AM »

Met up with an old Leviathin buddy of mine and did Halatali (the 4th dungeon) tonight. After getting a random group beforehand and failing  and even getting scolded by a dd for moving because I messed up his damage output (really? Fuck you)  it was nice to roll with a few good players. We steamrolled it like 4 times, no deaths no problems, just a couple of shaky pulls that I didn't get hate on properly as I was starting to test some theories on better hate accrual ( Or I got lazy, idk). Was a lot of fun doing those without people being stupid.

TASTY!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #381 on: July 12, 2013, 04:38:14 AM »

Alright, thanks for that info. Definitely going to jump onto Ultros if that's how things will roll.

N'arrgh! Hyperion! I'll be your sugar daddy! I'm trying to get everyone on one server. I know the NeoGAF folks are on Ultros, and I believe the plan for most of the RPGfan guys who weren't *set* on starting on a totally fresh server were joining us on Hyperion - they just couldn't for Phase 3 cause it was locked to new characters. Phase 4 all new players can make characters on any server: new or legacy. It was great when everyone was on one server in XI, and depressing when we were all on 12 different ones in WoW. I have tons of slots to fill in Solaris Free Company! Join us, we get shit done!
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #382 on: July 12, 2013, 04:43:24 AM »

If anyone's going on Leviathan when it releases, send me a tell!  I'll be playing with a few friends, but we're friendly and welcoming of new people.  I'm not on Leviathan at the moment, though.

On another note, some of these boss battles are pretty damn complex.  I'm really impressed, especially for mid-range.  I'm extremely excited to see some of the tricky designs for end-game monsters. As long as it's not like Pandaemonium Warden or Absolute Virtue.  But, if they do things like Salvage Zhayolm Remnants, it will be perfect.

I wouldn't exactly say complex, but they require strategy and people who can follow directions.  Speaking of that, I had my first Ifrit wipe yesterday helping some FC folks finish the fight and had to use duty finder to fill the last DD spot. Fucking Newb LNC who decided he was going to tank the primal off Nall and ignore the Fetter. Jesus what a clusterfuck. Just goes to show you all it takes is one retard to ruin everyone else's fun.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #383 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:30 AM »

I did kind of wish we could at least have had airship rides that were optionally skipped just to see the landscape, it's not like taking an underground train where there's nothing to see at all or anything.

Yeah but then we would have airship wait times again like we did in 1.0 and XI. I couldn't see them sparing instance server space for sight seeing unless there was an activity related to the flight.  I have no idea what they're going to do with the ferry since that was a big thing for Fishermen.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the ambiance of the voyage, but unless I had a specific task in mind (like fishing) it just wore thin and was basically a timesink. The way the design of the game seems to be headed, convenience seems to be winning out over ambiance.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #384 on: July 12, 2013, 04:57:32 AM »

Met up with an old Leviathin buddy of mine and did Halatali (the 4th dungeon) tonight. After getting a random group beforehand and failing  and even getting scolded by a dd for moving because I messed up his damage output (really? Fuck you)  it was nice to roll with a few good players. We steamrolled it like 4 times, no deaths no problems, just a couple of shaky pulls that I didn't get hate on properly as I was starting to test some theories on better hate accrual ( Or I got lazy, idk). Was a lot of fun doing those without people being stupid.

Halatali was fun, I liked it alot better than Toto-Rak. That dungeon's like 20 minutes too long and boring as hell. You'll dig Haukke Manor, it's like a haunted house. I need to post some pics of that one for ya.

I haven't had much chance to play with my WAR so I couldn't give you any pointers on threat control. I gotta say threat control on PLD is super easy as long as your DD isn't super stacking damage buffs and pulling early. Flash is incredibly overpowered for AOE threat control. Secondary targeting allows me to use Provoke and Shield Lob for breakaways from the pack. Mana management does become an issue through if I'm tanking more than 4 for any serious length of time.

Have you had a chance to play with PUG yet? It's my new love. The stance and buff management on the moves are mentally stimulating and the attacks look fucking vicious.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #385 on: July 12, 2013, 05:14:03 AM »

I got a code for the beta, but I already got one off of one of Tenchi's links a few weeks ago.

Does anyone want this?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #386 on: July 12, 2013, 09:04:24 AM »

i hate this guy but i need dem seals

pugilist is slowly but surely becoming a beast but i have no clue what earth fists actually does besides increase your defense. im not noticing a damage increase and my mp isnt draining.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #387 on: July 12, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »

I got a code for the beta, but I already got one off of one of Tenchi's links a few weeks ago.

Does anyone want this?

Could I? Might as well try this.
I mean ROB says it's good...

ROB
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #388 on: July 12, 2013, 10:15:15 AM »

The heavens did part when Rob said a game was good.

I'll message you now.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #389 on: July 12, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »

I can't believe they built a good game out of the bones and skin of one of the most boring MMORPGs I've ever played...but they did!  I'm kinda amazed, to be honest.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 130 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: